cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Arctic Fox Torklift ISSUE! But it could happen to you!!

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
While my TC is being rebuilt I get to see other TC coming in with ISSUES!!!

This one has a strange metal bracket system that appears to be made by TorkLift!

It appears to be a steel contraption designed to strengthen tie down systems and to be ugly at the same time.

What has happened is that this after-market bracket has helped in the failure of the corner where the tie down is...I have to say it is not the primary cause as Arctic Fox contributed considerable due to poor design.

Note that there appears to be a thin layer of plywood with fibergalss skin and then backed by a 3/4" block for the tie down to be bolted in.

I can't believe it...wait seeing some of the S@#T that Lance did in building mine...maybe I am not that surprised!

What is the design engineer thinking...NOT THINKING!
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer
9 REPLIES 9

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
There's a couple of recent threads on here about the other Northwood brand that had similar failures.

Safe to assume Northwood fixed this on the AF flagship line...don't know about their other brand as those reports are more recent. Maybe this would work for reinforcing those?

Edit; Wolf Creek is the Northwood entry brand...(couldn't think of the name last night).
Here is one of the threads.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
RamTC wrote:
Northwood Mfg changed their tie down plate design in the 2005+ Arctic Fox Campers, it's now a non-issue.

You bet its a non issue. I can vouch for that. Forgot to remove the right front (slide out side) Fastgun one time and raised the TC. The Torklift tie down arm bent but the TC tie down plate never budged. That was 5 years ago and its still just as solid as the day it arrived. I dont know how they anchor them today, but I can guarantee you its not a crappy method.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

RamTC
Explorer
Explorer
Northwood Mfg changed their tie down plate design in the 2005+ Arctic Fox Campers, it's now a non-issue.
Present - 14' Ram 3500 4X4 DRW CTD AISIN 3.73
Past - 98' Ram 3500 4X4 DRW CTD / 99' LANCE 1110 / 04' ARCTIC FOX 990 / 05' ARCTIC FOX 990

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
I had an older Arctic Fox 1140 that had the exact same problem. That particular one was an '04. Arctic Fox in their infinite wisdom back then anchored that tie down to nothing but a sheet of plywood. There was nothing else in that corner, no framing, no solid piece of wood, nothing. IMHO it should be a factory recall, because it could fail going around a corner, and **whomp**, there goes your camper.
My work around was to go from the weakest point on the camper to the strongest - I put eye-bolts on the camper jack brackets and used that as the tie-down mounting point.

Then I made a much more permanent fix and got an Eagle Cap. ๐Ÿ˜‰
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

covered_wagon
Explorer
Explorer
Problem with the cheaper plywoods used in rvs. It's so porous and light weight it absorbs moisture like crazy. Dry rot prone just from high humidity in winter storage. It is not like the good structural plywoods available to framing contractors. Its different.

trail-explorer
Explorer
Explorer
THat appears to be a mid 2000s vintage AF, back when they were using Happijack jacks. (They use a different method of conencting to power, which I can see in one of the pics)

Let's hope that design changes have occurred since the above camper was built.
Bob

SlideInDad
Explorer
Explorer
Back when I had my Arctic Fox 1150 I had all sorts of issues with my slide out and even had the slide out rip off the slide out rams. When I traded it in I was shown the problems with the AF design when it comes to where the camper tie downs are. Now I'm not saying that other mfg don't cut corners but seeing the issues with construction I'll never own a full wall slide out again, especially an 11.5' camper.
2007 GMC 2500HD Duramax CC - 2006 Lance 861
SuperSprings/Airlift/Bilstein 5100/TowBeast/Torklift tie downs
previous setup:
2001 Silverado 3500 DRW Duramax - 2003 Arctic Fox 1150 Dry Bath

pjay9
Explorer
Explorer
I stand corrected...it does have a purpose...Clearance issues. Interesting! Still is ugly, couldn't it have been made from aluminum and not given the impression that you got to haul-in on those tie-downs! Operator error, maybe..but all contributing factors.
2005 Lance 1161, 2004 Dodge CTD 3500 Dually 19.5's Stabiloads Roadmaster Sway, 2009 20' Raider 185 Pro Fish 90hp & 9.9 Yamaha vintage Penn elec.downriggers EZLoad roller trailer

Bedlam
That's a camper tie down relocation bracket used if your tie downs interfere with Dodge dually fenders at the stock locations. Torklift 7004

http://www.torklift.com/documents/products/superhitch/dodgeDually.html

I suspect that the camper was torqued down too much and this damage resulted. Bonding the two tie downs together would seem to make it stronger with the bracket and not be the cause of the damage.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD