cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Arctic fox: you should be ashamed of yourselves!

westkill
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 01 1150 model for the last few years
. Love the unit and have done repairs such as rebuilding the entire bunk area to fix the balsa wood, scotch tape and bubble gum the factory used. It no longer sags and rests on the roof of my truck. This year I tackled the giant belly under the slide out. I disassembled and removed the 2x3 they felt would support the entire weight of he slide,dinette and fridge. It now has a steel beam wth welded uprights going right to the roof. Even after this, the right rear still sagged and would Almost rest on my bed rails. Today I removed the lower 1\4" piece of plywood that slides along your wheel wells and was crushing to reveal not rot, not water damage or broken struts. The factory put absolutely NO framing there. There was nothing to keep the bottom of camper from crushing right up other than
N the. 1\4" plywood! In the pics you can see the water tank that was just bouncing around there with huge belly in between each of the 2 strts they put in.. there was NO insulation in the floor. So much for a 4 season camper! Where the rear sawhorse is is where the end f my truck bed is. The rest is overhang. .there is no structural support at all. A high school shop classs would frame it better.
I am adding a solid 2x10" in the open area going rearward. I have already framed in the area in front of the water tank and mounted that properly. Of course the rear was sagging, there's NO wood there! Needless to say my opinion of this manufacturer is zero! Look at he right front corner, they didn't even put wood on the corner!!!!!! Who the hell does that? So if you have a heavy camper with a big rear overhang this is why,absolute garbage construction and quality. Pics are below the next response
60 REPLIES 60

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
jimh425 wrote:
Kayteg1 wrote:
Stainless steel Prevost starts about $1.5 mil, so 23 mils is high exaggeration.

Someone exaggerated on RV.NET? ๐Ÿ˜„

Good point. I type trying to dry sweat between the jobs and my mind was not going straight. :S

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
You can get a Prevost skinned any way you want for a price. The guy I worked for just had one built last year and it's the lower half is polished stainless, the upper is custom painted (what I don't know but I presume it's stainless as well.), marble crapper, leather furniture and 24 K Gold fixtures big screen tubes, all sorts of stuff and a 550 horse Detroit couple to a 6 speed Allison and self levelling air ride suspension with air disc brakes all around.

I checked it out. Took my shoes off first.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:

Someone exaggerated on RV.NET? ๐Ÿ˜„

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Kayteg1
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not sure SS is still available though as Prevost seem to switch to fiberglass.

gitpicker2009
Explorer
Explorer
I've got it! Just make the camper and frames out of Graphene! Light, indestructible, never delaminates!
Of course, it would cost about 23 million dollars, but that includes the slide....:)

Noel
Explorer
Explorer
We had a 2000 AF 1150, bought new and paid $16K, I think. Sold it in 2004 and went to a Class A. It held up well....except.....the slide drooped down a bit.

AF said come to factory and we will fix it, no charge. We did...and they did brace the area under the slide.
Noel

2003 National Dolphin LX 6335, W22, 8.1L

travelnutz
Explorer II
Explorer II
Like BradW said and Sidecar mentioned also as to TC construction, we also would have the older made TCs and with aluminum exterior as it always looks new if keep clean which we do. Brad's is a 1996 Lance 500 and ours is a 1997 Lance Legend 990 and has been totally problem free and 20 years old now with way over a thousand nights use and over 100,000 miles of travel. One piece aluminum roof and never a leak or a need to replace. Very heavy but lots of room inside and has a true dry shower in its nearly 11.5 floor length so no slide needed and no need to open the slide to even enter as there's not one. Everything totally usable anytime! Excellect insulation and alway very warm inside at well below zero F. If we wanted a new TC, we would simply buy one!
A superb CC LB 4X4, GM HD Diesel, airbags, Rancho's, lots more
Lance Legend TC 11' 4", loaded including 3400 PP generator and my deluxe 2' X 7' rear porch
29 ft Carriage Carri-lite 5'er - a specially built gem
A like new '07 Sunline Solaris 26' TT

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
To the OP, far as I can ascertain, AF has nothing to be ashamed of. They build campers just like most everyone else does and considering it's age, I don't see where you have anything to whine about. I realize whining is an American pastime but it does get old. Fix it and carry on. I presume you are an adult and can differentiate between whining and constructive comments.
2015 Backpack SS1500

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
jimh425 wrote:
Sure, when glass comes apart, they don't call it delamination. :). If there was only one solution that was so much better, the rv industry would all use it.

When 'glass' comes apart, it's an easy fix that is actually stronger than the original damage.

far as the rv Industry using a better solution, in general they use the CHEAPER solution, not the BETTER. solution. Filon is the least expensive of any siding and the less labor intensive too. vacuum bonded Filon can be made up in any size sheet you want so long as you have a vacuum table big enough\ to suck it and the substrate together to allow the glue to cure.

Filon is like a young gal. It looks real good when new, but as it ages, it's negatives become apparent.

You aren't going to restore a Filon clad unit like an aluminum clad unit. You cannot remove or 'peel back' Filon to repair a rotted substructure You have to replace it instead and sectional replacement is basically out of the question because you'll have a seam that stand out like a sore thumb and/or have a point of new water intrusion.

Like I said, my next unit, if there is a next one, will be aluminum clad.
2015 Backpack SS1500

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:
BradW wrote:
JoeChiOhki wrote:
The Amerigo may not have the best fiberglass, but its actual fiberglass and can be taken off and repaired in a pinch.

"Real" fiberglass (like they make Ranger bass boats out of) seems to me to be the near perfect material for a TC shell. I would think it would also be the easiest to repair. There must be some drawbacks to fiberglass; maybe cost? I don't know of any fiberglass TCs with slide outs. That filon scares the ***** out of me, but that's probably will be on my next TC.

Reddog's Bigfoot and Ranger boats share the same technology. A chopper gun/resin and a mold. It's strong, durable and can be repaired or painted. Filon looks better initially but when it delaminates it's a royal PITA. Glass won't delam at all.

The old Amerigoes were built that way, I can still see the marks where they used the hand rollers to help press the air out of the layers of chop and where they rolled in whoke pieces to reinforce the corners. Its far thinner that Reddogs Bigfoot or the boats as its not structural, but a shell over a classic wooden frame, but its held up for 42 years.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Sure, when glass comes apart, they don't call it delamination. :). If there was only one solution that was so much better, the rv industry would all use it.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

wnjj
Explorer II
Explorer II
BradW wrote:
JoeChiOhki wrote:
The Amerigo may not have the best fiberglass, but its actual fiberglass and can be taken off and repaired in a pinch.

"Real" fiberglass (like they make Ranger bass boats out of) seems to me to be the near perfect material for a TC shell. I would think it would also be the easiest to repair. There must be some drawbacks to fiberglass; maybe cost? I don't know of any fiberglass TCs with slide outs. That filon scares the ***** out of me, but that's probably will be on my next TC.

Our 2007 Eagle Cap is fiberglass (not filon) and has a slide.

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
BradW wrote:
JoeChiOhki wrote:

Reddog's Bigfoot and Ranger boats share the same technology. A chopper gun/resin and a mold. It's strong, durable and can be repaired or painted. Filon looks better initially but when it delaminates it's a royal PITA. Glass won't delam at all.
2015 Backpack SS1500

westkill
Explorer
Explorer
OK, the above post is just stupid! Open things up? Would you break open the basement of a camper to inspect the framing? What owner would let you do that ? When you bought yours did you remove the fridge from the wall to look behind it? Did you remove the oven? How about the microwave?. I did do my homework, I read countless threads about Arctic fox. I never thought that they didn't even know how to do basic framing. This whole issue is now mute. I completed the repairs today and the camper now sits perfectly on my truck . I fixed the horrible design and lack of even basic framing techniques.