cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Are all Forest River products garbage?

Community Alumni
Not applicable
I'm in the process of researching small TTs and came across a couple of units made by Forest River that caught my attention. Actually, both models are identical but sold under the Salem Cruise Lite and Wildwood X Lite.

I was very surprised to see so many negative comments made by existing Forest River owners that I'm thinking I may be better off to steer clear from Forest River products altogether.

The following link has over 150 complaints covering practically every single type of RV made by Forest River: Forest River complaints and reviews

I'm also looking at the TTs made by Pacific Coachworks and there's very little info on them since the company has only been in business since 2006. I wasn't able to find any negative comments.

I'd like to hear from fellow RV.net members about their experiences with small TTs made by Forest River and Pacific Coachworks. Please don't be shy, you can tell me the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I'm also open to other brands that make decent small TTs.

Thanks in advance.
63 REPLIES 63

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
The AMF Harley deal was a bad example to use to prove your point. The "bowling pin" Harleys were junk. Yes Harley-Davidson survived those years and is still seen as an iconic manufacturer, but that doesn't mean that all Harleys ever built live up to that reputation.

Good point! Depends on whether you are a loyal Harley owner or not. Just the same as if somebody is a loyal Airstream owner or not. Yea, there are many motorcycles that in the days of AMF were far better and it corresponded with the same time frame the Japanese came to American with motorcycles that almost finished off Harley. But, Harley survived and at least in America are still the 'American' motorcycle even though some others are made in America including some Japanese models.

An interesting statistic is that an Airstream trailer has about 400 person hours invested in it; the average standard box trailer about 150 hours. At least one factory spends substantially more time building their products than others. And it is reflected in the cost. Harleys are not inexpensive, either.

I certainly don't believe Forest River or Keystone are junk. But, there are better products out there. And as so many others have mentioned there are levels or grades of quality within FR and Keystone. The Keystone Montana fifth wheel series are the best selling fifth wheels, certainly not the most expensive nor the best quality but for many the best overall value for the money.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

720Deere
Explorer
Explorer
The AMF Harley deal was a bad example to use to prove your point. The "bowling pin" Harleys were junk. Yes Harley-Davidson survived those years and is still seen as an iconic manufacturer, but that doesn't mean that all Harleys ever built live up to that reputation.
2011 Ford F-350 4X4 CC LB SRW 6.7
2013 Keystone Fuzion 315
B&W Companion Hitch
1 wife 2 kids and 1 dog

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Since Thor has owned Airstream since 1980, I guess folks need to go back 34 years if they want a "legendary" model...

To some extent this is largely irrevelant. Airstream is still considered the pinnacle of travel trailers, the gold standard that others look up to, and the choice of affluent owners that want the iconic look, timeless shape, and name recognition that speaks luxury and quality. And, today unlike before the Thor ownership, Airstream partners with Mercedes that has all the same name recognition as Airstream has carried forward since the mid 1930's. They may not be legendary nor the same company but they still are associated with the best, cost the most, last the longest, and are bought by the most descriminating.

Maybe in 80 years we can see how many Forest River or Keystone products are still on the road. Airstream's number is over 60 percent. Pretty impressive really regardless of who builds them.

Kind of like Harley Davidson that was once owned by a bowling pin manufacturer. Harley through all the tough times and more than one owner never lost it's reputation and luster for what they stand for. And you did not mention that prior to Thor, Airstream was owned by Beatrice Foods, hardly an RV manufacturer! But, the timeless design and original commitment to quality instilled by founder Wally Byam has stood the test of time.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
Having taken a tour of the Airstream factory in Ohio, I would basically agree - and echo the statement that even Airstreams have problems. We were impressed by how the trailers were put together in a Forest River factory - until we visited Airstream. There is a definite difference.

Interesting observation about the factory tours. Me? I would be far more interested in what comes out of the factory than what is in it. And what comes out of the Airstream factory clearly is not in the same hemisphere as any box trailer. No rubber roof, no sidewalls to delam, almost forever aluminum sides and roof, etc. What is really different is that Airstream is considered to be a luxury item that happens to be an RV. Kind of like a luxury yacht that just happens to also be a boat. I have no Airstream in my yard, nor do I have any financial interest in the company. But, I can certainly understand what comes out of the Airstream factory is longevity and quality and what comes out of most box trailer factories is something that is barely able and might last the length of payments. And they are intentionally made that way with marginal axles, tires that are near or at their max carrying capacity, rubber roofs that last 12 years, filon sidewalls, and sometimes shoddy workmanship. Everything has a price point and consumers drive the quality when all they want is something reasonably nice to camp in that is inexpensive. And they get it!

kellyandpatti
Explorer
Explorer
2009 TT bought new, no problems

bobfears
Explorer
Explorer
No.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Thanks for all the responses, they are very much appreciated.Please keep them coming.

I have not written off Forest River products, but I am concerned about the high number of negative comments that I saw on the internet (there are plenty besides the link I posted).

Some of the things that I'm looking out for, not just in FR products, are undersized axles and suspensions (mentioned here already), weak frames and subflooring, leaks, and other problems that may compromise the integrity of the unit.

I'm also hoping the trailer we choose has an aluminum frame instead of wood. The horror stories and pictures posted in this forum of rotting trailers due to leaks scare the heebie jeebies out of me.

Bucky_Badger
Explorer
Explorer
I have an 07 Salem and never had an issue with it

I think 150 complaints wouldn't be so many due to the volume of RV they put out.
If there was an " I love my Forest River Forum" they may be hundreds of thousands of positive reviews

I bet there have been 150 Jayco complaints on this forum since it came on line
2010 F150 5.4, 3.55, 4x4, Equli-z-er Hitch
2007 Forest River Salem 27RB LE
and
2009 Nomad 3980

dadmomh
Explorer
Explorer
As a matter of fact, NO they're not or there wouldn't be so many of us with them. We had an '07 ROO HTT and had zero problems with the trailer - we did have a frig recall from Dometic, but regardless of what brand or what level in that brand, you're likely to have a Dometic frig. 15 min fix and we were done. When we moved to a TT, there was no question that it would be a FR product and specifically a Rockwood. Picked it up in May, '13 and zero problems. Fit and finish have been perfect. We had a couple of minor things we wanted changed and our dealer (RVW) had it handled lickety split. Not sure why you would think FR turns out only garbage, but you were misinformed.

My dear cousin - the one in the family with millions and no I'm not kidding - has always bought top of the top of the line from only the "best" manufacturers. He passed $1/2M mark a long time ago only to have major issues with all of them. Talk about being a bit irritable!!! He's now in something that strongly resembles a Nashville entertainers transportation - haven't seen this one yet - but I'd bet it hasn't been perfect. Anything you buy from any manufacturer can leave you with a lemon....just happens....luck of the draw. No guarantees you won't get that lemon from anyone.
Trailerless but still have the spirit

2013 Rockwood Ultra Lite 2604 - new family
2007 Rockwood ROO HTT - new family
2003 Ford F-150
4 doggies - We support Adopt/Rescue.
Sam, you were the best!
Cubbie, Foxy, Biscuit and Lily - all rescues!

Francesca_Knowl
Explorer
Explorer
Ventureman wrote:
Let's not confuse the current Airstream with the "legendary" Airstream. They are now made by Thor Industries. Feel free to draw your own conclusions.

Since Thor has owned Airstream since 1980, I guess folks need to go back 34 years if they want a "legendary" model...;)
" Not every mind that wanders is lost. " With apologies to J.R.R. Tolkien

Ventureman
Explorer
Explorer
Let's not confuse the current Airstream with the "legendary" Airstream. They are now made by Thor Industries. Feel free to draw your own conclusions.

Campforever
Explorer
Explorer
Had a Cedar Creek fifth wheel; get ready, here goes
axles to small for trailer
springs to small for axles, weight of trailer
plumbing could not handle 40psi without rupturing
rear kitchen, no hot water, even after factory work and analysis
cabinets attached to ceiling fell
fascia on slides fell off
rear refrigerator would never stay closed, until an ugly lock was placed on it. Suggestion of factory
Brakes from factory warped and to small for unit, per factory analysis
ceiling fan fell from ceiling, 1/2 of screws to hold it up were not installed and the ones that were where to small
tires were load range D, on a 38 foot fifth wheel? get real, factory supplied load range G after much complaints by me and dealership.
battery supplied with unit was a recycled car battery
FACTORY SERVICE, GREAT WAS ON A FIRST NAME BASIS WITH THEM
much, much more, but alas, got rid of it thank God, only had one trip with no problems. I am very careful about my stuff, but I can honestly say that I bought a lemon.

Got about 30 more issues but you get the picture.
Randy, Retired and Loving it...
Chevy Dually 3500 Duramax 2015
3910 Montana (2015) Three Slides

5 slides

doxiluvr
Explorer II
Explorer II
Of course not! You will find negative comments on the forum periodically on all brands of TT's. We have a Keystone Sprinter and love it and somebody else may have had a bad one and they hate them. Just take good care of it and it will take care of you.
2006 Keystone Sprinter 300fkms
2007 Silverado 2500 Duramax Diesel 6.6 - Allison 1000 6 spd. auto. tran.
1 high school sweetheart hubby - 1 ChiWeenie - Abby
4 grown kids, 6 grandkids, 2 great-grandchildren
1 2007 Yamaha v-Star 1300

Ron3rd
Explorer
Explorer
We're very impressed with the workmanship on our new Forest River Windjammer. The attention to detail is very good IMO. But it's one of their more expensive trailers so maybe the cheaper lines are not as good. They're known for good factory support too. They have their own owners forum: FROG, Forest River Owners Group. You might sign up for that forum and ask a lot of questions.
2016 6.7 CTD 2500 BIG HORN MEGA CAB
2013 Forest River 3001W Windjammer
Equilizer Hitch
Honda EU2000

"I have this plan to live forever; so far my plan is working"

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I've had 2 Forest River products so far and they have been great. The first one was flawless. Our current one had the Concertone radio issues, and a small water leak that showed up 2 years ago! Otherwise i have no complaints.

All manuf. have their issues. The only reason you're seeing so many Forest River issues is because they are one of the major manufactureres. When you sell 50% more than a smaller company the complaint rate will go up incrementally.
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!