cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Are my batteries dead or what?

chracatoa
Explorer
Explorer
So an odd thing happened this weekend. Our campground had a power outage in the middle of the night, and we noticed because our fan stopped working. The power was still not back in the morning and we heard it would take a long time for it to be fixed, so we bailed out. The campground would soon have sewer problems and their bathrooms were already closed since the pumps couldn't work.

We managed to have everything done with lights on but the power was gone midway through closing the slide. I connected the TV and finished the job.

The two batteries and the trailer are 4 1/2 years old.

At that moment I'm thinking it's time to change them - I'm not sure how long they're supposed to last anyway. The trailer was connected to power for two days when we had the power outage, and the batteries didn't last 8 hours of almost no use (except fridge and maybe heater).

When I got home the fridge turned off as soon as I turned off the TV engine. At this moment I'm already planning to use my electric tongue jack with the TV running and plugged in. However, after we unloaded the trailer and everything I completely forgot about that and I unhitched with the power plug disconnected. Once I realized that I immediately tried to use the jack and it worked fine - in fact, I had just used it to unhitch. What the heck?

Inside the trailer everything is dead - lights, fridge, slide. I press the battery button inside to see how much is left and the lights flash for a second but they quickly turn off, indicating a dead battery. Still, the jack works like there's no tomorrow - I double checked after that.

Any idea what's going on here? Is it really time to change my batteries?
2011 Toyota Sequoia Platinum 4WD 5.7L V8 (next one will be a 3/4, someday)
2012 Jayco Flight Swift 267BHS (5963lbs dry, 6850 wet)
Propride hitch (I had a Reese dual cam round bar WDH for 4 months)
23 REPLIES 23

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I'd suggest to replace the fuse holder and fuse with a self-resetting circuit breaker. That will allow more than one large draw event. Also, get a decent disconnect switch. I have Cooper-Bussman disconnects but this Blue Sea disconnect is cheaper: Blue Sea Master Disconnect
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

RedRocket204
Explorer
Explorer
chracatoa wrote:
SoundGuy wrote:
And the batteries are fine ... right? :W

They are. I always take them home during the winter and keep them charged. I wonder when they're going to die down.

Incidentally, I had a battery disconnect once and for some reason or another it stopped conducting electricity and I had to remove it.

Now that you found your open which was the real issue, go and get the batteries load tested. You asked about Interstate batteries earlier in the thread... your local Costco should have them IIRC. You do have a Costco around Seattle don't you? ๐Ÿ˜‰
I love me some land yachting

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
chracatoa wrote:

Incidentally, I had a battery disconnect once and for some reason or another it stopped conducting electricity and I had to remove it.

The kind with the big red key are pure junk, I've had them fail in one season. The problem is corrosion, they hold rain water inside.

chracatoa
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:

They are. I always take them home during the winter and keep them charged. I wonder when they're going to die down.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
chracatoa wrote:
Found the problem. The inline fuse blew and I actually have to replace its casing.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

chracatoa
Explorer
Explorer
Would this be a good replacement?

chracatoa
Explorer
Explorer
Found the problem. The inline fuse blew and I actually have to replace its casing. It had a 30 amp fuse. Is this a 12 or 16 gauge wire?

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
Might it also be a faulty ground between the battery and the trailer (since jack is wired directly to battery and works great)? Or, corrosion or loose connection in the positive between the battery and the trailer? Loose connections could be causing that behavior, I believe.
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
Take a chill pill soundGuy. When does it ever hurt to check the water level in a battery :S - your favorite emoticon...

No chill pill needed here :R ... my comments have nothing to do with checking water level but rather your comment about the battery case being bowed out. The OP has given no indication at all that this is the case and in fact has indicated just the opposite - his batteries power his tongue jack just fine and only the interior 12 vdc system isn't working. That doesn't describe dead batteries with a bowed out case but batteries that are still able to maintain a charge and a resettable circuit breaker that has opened. :S:S:S:S

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
SoundGuy wrote:
2012Coleman wrote:
Did you think to check the water level in the batteries? If low and the battery sides are bowed out, then it's toasted.

OK, one more time ... the OP said clearly in his original post ...

"Inside the trailer everything is dead - lights, fridge, slide. I press the battery button inside to see how much is left and the lights flash for a second but they quickly turn off, indicating a dead battery. Still, the jack works like there's no tomorrow - I double checked after that."

WHY are so many of you so quick to conclude the OP's batteries are toast and need to be replaced?!! :h Dead batteries don't power a tongue jack "like there's no tomorrow"! :S The circuit breaker wired into the cable running to the battery positive feed is the likely culprit because with it open the batteries cannot only not feed power to the inside of the trailer but they can't likewise receive a charge from the converter's charging circuit. However, the tongue jack which is wired directly to the batteries will still work if the batteries themselves still have an adequate reserve. Good grief! :R
Take a chill pill soundGuy. When does it ever hurt to check the water level in a battery :S - your favorite emoticon...
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
OP, please take SoundGuys's advice.

You have an open in the main trailer's 12V circuit somewhere. After you fix the open, then if you want you can have your batteries load tested to see how good they are. Good luck.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
2012Coleman wrote:
Did you think to check the water level in the batteries? If low and the battery sides are bowed out, then it's toasted.

OK, one more time ... the OP said clearly in his original post ...

"Inside the trailer everything is dead - lights, fridge, slide. I press the battery button inside to see how much is left and the lights flash for a second but they quickly turn off, indicating a dead battery. Still, the jack works like there's no tomorrow - I double checked after that."

WHY are so many of you so quick to conclude the OP's batteries are toast and need to be replaced?!! :h Dead batteries don't power a tongue jack "like there's no tomorrow"! :S The circuit breaker wired into the cable running to the battery positive feed is the likely culprit because with it open the batteries cannot only not feed power to the inside of the trailer but they can't likewise receive a charge from the converter's charging circuit. However, the tongue jack which is wired directly to the batteries will still work if the batteries themselves still have an adequate reserve. Good grief! :R

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

chracatoa
Explorer
Explorer
My next question is... where can I find those interstate RV marine batteries? I was looking online and it seems I have to go to a dealer. Dealers are at least an hour away from where I live. I'm guessing we don't find those at O'Reilly's or something?