cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Are these the right Costco 6v batteries?

OregonTRX4
Explorer
Explorer
I just wanted to make sure these are the 6v Costco batteries people have been buying for their travel trailers. Most reviews I read about them have been positive.

22 REPLIES 22

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
I just pulled the trigger on a pair of these. Sign at the store said 208 aH, but everything I am reading online says there are 220 aH. Anybody know the real rating on these #245725? Guy in the store said they are made by Johnson Controls, same company that makes them for Interstate.

I am retiring a pair of Interstate GC-2's that I bought back in 2006, and they still hold up OK but they were used and abused by my old WFCO converter/charger. I am confident that the new PD converter and thicker gauge wiring to the batteries will keep them lasting longer.

I really wanted the Interstate GC2-XHD that they recommend for RVs at 232 aH, but at $153 vs $84.49 for the Costco it was hard to justify the $137 difference for the pair.

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Yes, but I'll have to have a friend with a membership bring me. Stay tuned.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

westend
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
Thanks. I bought a second cheap box at Walmart.

However, I went to Costco today (with my core and everything) and they don't sell them at my local store! Heck. I'm hoping they can bring stock in from another store.

FWIW, their website doesn't appear to show any batteries.
Do you have a Sam's Club nearby? I bought 2 x 6V's (Energizer) at Sam's and they are doing the job. I think I paid about $180, including the core and State tax.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks. I bought a second cheap box at Walmart.

However, I went to Costco today (with my core and everything) and they don't sell them at my local store! Heck. I'm hoping they can bring stock in from another store.

FWIW, their website doesn't appear to show any batteries.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
I haven't really looked at one closely before. Sounds like one of them is larger than a typical Group 24?

Thanks for the strap tip and the link. Although, I'm going to look for a cheaper option. $50 for a plastic box doesn't feel right. ๐Ÿ˜‰

The footprint of a 6V GC2 is identical to a 12V grp 24, the height is different.

That Century box is built a bit better than your standard ABS blow-molded box. If you're just looking for the most inexpensive solution, buy two grp 24 boxes and wire between them.

FWIW, I repurposed a metal tool box for my tongue box and built a wooden box (lined and vented) for an interior box. Lots of ways to get feline fur.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
I haven't really looked at one closely before. Sounds like one of them is larger than a typical Group 24?

Thanks for the strap tip and the link. Although, I'm going to look for a cheaper option. $50 for a plastic box doesn't feel right. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Cotay
Explorer
Explorer
westend wrote:
tragusa3 wrote:
I'm about to go out and buy a pair of these. What sort of boxes are you guys using. Where can I find a long box that fits these side by side?

Century Plastics

That's the one I used on my HTT. Its a good box but you will need a battery box strap (one isn't provided) and I recommend getting at least one 6V battery carry strap (http://www.ebay.com/sch/sis.html?_kw=BATTERY+LIFT+STRAP+FOR+GOLF+CART+BATTERIES)

The carry strap is extremely helpful in lifting these monsters out of the box...otherwise you will find that it is extremely difficult to do.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
tragusa3 wrote:
I'm about to go out and buy a pair of these. What sort of boxes are you guys using. Where can I find a long box that fits these side by side?

Century Plastics
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

OregonTRX4
Explorer
Explorer
I bought 2 of these. 9.xx with prime. Wont be here until this weekend to test fit.

http://www.amazon.com/NOCO-HM306BKS-Snap-Top-Battery-Box/dp/B00316KU6E

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
By the tires

Habemus_Quattro
Explorer
Explorer
Perhaps an odd question, but where does one find these batteries in Costco? I don't recall seeing them by the other automotive products.

Blazing_Zippers
Explorer II
Explorer II
YEP, they're the ones. We bought ours in 2010 and they have done a good job. This year, I finally brought them inside for the first time due to the cold in Coeur d Alene. They haven't dropped a bit of voltage all winter.
As far as them being taller, I just used the regular battery boxes and covers. The covers sit on the top of the battery and unless you get down on your knees, you can't tell I'm to cheap to buy the correct size box.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
OregonTRX4 wrote:
Can I bring in two random 12v batteries for the core fee?
Yes, usually acceptable as long as they are lead acid batteries.

Note to cheapskates like myself: These big box stores keep their core exchange price low. At my local Sams Club, it is $5. I can reap $10 or more at the salvage yard for batteries. The difference in prices will get me a happy meal at McD's.:B (I'm actually bringing in more stuff so it's worth the effort, lol).
'03 F-250 4x4 CC