Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Armada to Pull 33' Lightweight TT

jbnery6465
Explorer
Explorer
2008 Armada LE AWD w/Tow Package.

I've done a lot of reading on this forum related to this topic as we're looking to become first time TT owners. Woohoo! Our intention is to have few trips a year with long extended stays. Some trips will make yearly to Oregon and to Arizona, from San Diego. It could also serve as a temporary home until our house is built on some land we own - thus why I'm looking at the longer range.

The topics that I've read related to how long of a TT an Armada can safely pull are more than 4-5 years old, and the focus quickly shifted away from length and focused on weights. But there are new trailers today that are in the 31'-33' that have a dry weight of 5800lbs - 6400lbs, and hitch weight in the mid-700's. I did a whole spreadsheet not only with "estimated" dry weights, but also what I think our loaded weight would be (2 adults, 4 kids, gear, empty tanks). So hypothetically assuming if all my weights are within range, loaded properly, have the right WD hitch, drive in Tow Mode in 4th, etc, can I safely pull these trailers? They are dual axle, not sure if that makes a difference.

Thanks for hearing me out, I'm looking forward to learning from you all. Thanks in advance for the input!!
25 REPLIES 25

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
Grit dog wrote:
^Nothing vague, no more info or advice needed. No need to regurgitate the last 3 pages of advice. And the OP left the conversation a while ago….

It may or may not be relevant to the OP if he's decided one way or the other (of course he may simply be reading and not responding also) but for other newbies using the search function, it certainly is.

Example: Our current trailer is 25ft if you measure the actual box but if you include the a-frame it's 29ft. Unsurprisingly, it's lighter than most 29ft (box length) trailers.

Also, some brands are heavier than others for the same length and/or have wildly varying cargo capacities. I've seen 25-30ft travel trailers with only 700lb of cargo capacity.

So yes, a lot of vagueness in the original post and more details would be helpful in providing a clear answer.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
Grit dog wrote:
^Nothing vague, no more info or advice needed. No need to regurgitate the last 3 pages of advice. And the OP left the conversation a while ago….

Hopefully out looking for a proper tow vehicle!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
jbnery6465 wrote:
2008 Armada LE AWD w/Tow Package.

I've done a lot of reading on this forum related to this topic as we're looking to become first time TT owners. Woohoo! Our intention is to have few trips a year with long extended stays. Some trips will make yearly to Oregon and to Arizona, from San Diego. It could also serve as a temporary home until our house is built on some land we own - thus why I'm looking at the longer range.

The topics that I've read related to how long of a TT an Armada can safely pull are more than 4-5 years old, and the focus quickly shifted away from length and focused on weights. But there are new trailers today that are in the 31'-33' that have a dry weight of 5800lbs - 6400lbs, and hitch weight in the mid-700's. I did a whole spreadsheet not only with "estimated" dry weights, but also what I think our loaded weight would be (2 adults, 4 kids, gear, empty tanks). So hypothetically assuming if all my weights are within range, loaded properly, have the right WD hitch, drive in Tow Mode in 4th, etc, can I safely pull these trailers? They are dual axle, not sure if that makes a difference.

Thanks for hearing me out, I'm looking forward to learning from you all. Thanks in advance for the input!!

Way too much vagueness. Give us an example or two of the trailers you are looking at.

A 31-33ft trailer is likely going to be pushing at least 8000lb loaded for a family of 6.
- Empty weights are completely irrelevant. Better to use the GVWR if you don't know for sure.

According to edmunds.com, your truck has a payload of 1500lb. Problem is that assumes pretty much empty with no add on equipment (running boards, roof racks, hitch, etc...)
- Assuming 150# for each parent and 100# per kid, that's 700lb of payload just in people.
- Let's say 300lbs for hitch, cooler and other misc stuff in the truck.

That uses up 1000lb of your payload before you hook up the trailer.

An 8000lb trailer should have a hitch weight of 1000-1200lb. Conservatively, you are likely over payload by 500-700lb.

You might also check your RAWR. The hitch weight hits the back axle hard, so that is likely over also.

Now as others have said, a relatively small weak short wheelbase truck is likely to be a tail wagging the dog situation.

For a family of 6, I would suggest a full size body on frame van in the 3/4 or 1 ton range. That will give you the payload and the mass to handle a big trailer. If you were talking shorter trips, a 4 door pickup would be an option but that will get cramped for cross country stuff.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
time2roll wrote:
Trackrig wrote:
One of the items I find interesting when a mfg states a towing capacity, is they never mention whether their rating is good for a trip to a camp ground 100 miles away on flat ground, or going across the US crossing the Continental Divide on very long trips over several months.

The Armada will probably do fine to a campground a 100 miles away, but it doesn't have the transmission, rearend or brakes for longhaul traveling.

Bill
I never worry about distance as much as the max towing is with only a 150# driver... absolutely nothing else in the base no options vehicle.

And the other "Game" being played. TV mfg base towing capacity assuming max of 10% tongue weight. Trailer mfg design trailers to be in the 15% tongue weight. So.... pretty easy to not realize the different assumptions and discover that your tongue weight is more than the TV hitch is rated for or that once loaded even though the trailer is well "under" the TV mfg claims for weight, your at or over GVWR for the TV.
And then trailer mfg tongue weight claim is for an empty trailer with empty propane tanks and no battery(s). Just filling two 30lb propane tanks and a couple of batteries just added 200lbs or so to the "empty" tongue weight since the weight is so far forward on the tongue.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
I have seen plenty of SUV's laying on their side pulling too much TT. As they say too much tail for the DOG. Soft "P" rated tires are just one issue here.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Trackrig wrote:
One of the items I find interesting when a mfg states a towing capacity, is they never mention whether their rating is good for a trip to a camp ground 100 miles away on flat ground, or going across the US crossing the Continental Divide on very long trips over several months.

The Armada will probably do fine to a campground a 100 miles away, but it doesn't have the transmission, rearend or brakes for longhaul traveling.

Bill
I never worry about distance as much as the max towing is with only a 150# driver... absolutely nothing else in the base no options vehicle.

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
I think once you take GVWR and cargo rating, subtract 2 adults, 4 kids, cargo you will find that your allowed remaining cargo and GVWR will be well below what any real 33ft trailer is.

Fact: I have a 2500HD 3/4 ton diesel and tow a 32 ft "super light weight trailer". yes, "dry weight" seems reasonable, but once loaded, tongue weight with full propane, batteries, some water another story, almost 9,000lbs loaded, 1400lb tongue weight. With DW and I and 1 daughter and 2 grandkids and SOME stuff in the bed, we have used up the 2600lb cargo capacity and are at 10,000lbs GVWR. With myself and son and 1 dirt bike and gear...... same picture at 10,000lbs.

Now for the towing experience. I have reese Dual cam WD hitch. yes, this combo with the truck makes a great towing rig, but I'd NEVER NEVER think of towing the same trailer with something like an armada, tundra, burb, etc.

And a final note, several camping friends of ours started out with mid 25ft trailers and tow vehicles like the OP has...... it didn't take them more than a few trips to decide they had WAY overestimated the towing capability of the vehicle and decided they made a BIG mistake. Either way downsized trailers or went with better tow rigs.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Durb
Explorer
Explorer
I towed a 25 ft. OAL 6,000# trailer with a 2008 Nissan Titan which I believe was pretty much the same as an Armada. This was in the state of Oregon so every trip greeted me with mountains. The engine was willing and eager to spin up although fuel economy was poor. My WDH incorporated anti-sway so I didn't have issues towing. The mirrors were poor. I upgraded the truck to an older 1 ton Ram because I wasn't confident in the durability of the Nissan and the brakes were of small diameter and poor; plus the rear differential was about the size of a soccer ball. I wouldn't have wanted the trailer to be any longer.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Before even looking at the weights, A TT that size has a LOT of sail area. Perhaps a large pop up would give you the room you need, without the large sail. Probably be lighter as well.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Thermoguy
Explorer II
Explorer II
I always see people talking about dry weight and loaded weight then think they can get away with hauling the trailer with empty tanks. This is inaccurate and when considering weights, you need to consider all tanks full. I most often tow into a campground with my fresh water full. More often than not the fresh water is full every time I tow even if I know there is water at my site. I seldom have a site with full hookups, so I have to tow out of the location with my grey and black full - maybe just to the dump, but often to a dump off site or down the road. I am capable of hauling with all 3 tanks full, so its not an issue for me, we like to boondock so I will have full tanks when I leave. But, just because a campground has services, what do you do if they are out of commission or unavailable when you are there. Best to be within your limits so it is not an issue.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Exact weight ratings are irrelevant. You only need a general idea of what the Armada is capable of towing to know that this isn't a great idea.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
I don't recall you stating any of your vehicles weight ratings?

It's not all just about the hp/tq of a vehicle. Sounds like you are going to have a full load of humans as well. No prior experience towing anything at your vehicles max ratings before and first time rv'er..

My 2013 F150 is what I feel is maxed out towing a #7000 26' TT. It can tow more, but I won't enjoy the tow if I did that. Right now, it's comfortable and there are only 2 of us in the cab.

Lots to consider for sure.. I know when I was a kid, the last place I wanted to be while "camping" was in the trailer with mom and dad! 🙂 I always put up my little pup tent or just plain slept outside.. Yes, I know that's not what is done these days, but there you go!

Good luck! Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

SteveAE
Explorer
Explorer
Sometimes, tow capacity isn't the whole story.
While the vehicle may be able to tow the trailer on the interstate just fine (all be it, probably slowly going uphill), you might want to investigate how well it do the much more critical task of slowing/stopping it....especially on steeper grades.

Perhaps you could rent/borrow a similarly sized/weight trailer for a few hours to see how it would work? Not on I-5, but up and down some long, steep, hills (i.e.; West or North/East entrances to Death Valley).

When we started RV'ing, we towed our 22' trailer with an older (2006) Toyota Tundra. And while we were within the tow limit, and didn't mind being passed by bicycles going uphill, it really sucked to have brake fade dropping into Death Valley (or similar). Switched to a 1 ton diesel and instantly learned that there was a night and day difference in the towing experience between being on the edge vs. having lots of margin.

Anyway, something to chew on and hope this helps.