cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

artic fox 811 on 2005 dodge ram 2500 diesel short bed??

lizwood71
Explorer
Explorer
Hi, we need some advice as we can not get a straight answer. We just bought an 811 Artic fox camper for our 2005 Dodge Ram 2500 quad cab diesel short bed truck. The artic fox dealer says it is a fine truck for this camper. But upon further research it seems to grossly exceed the GVWR weight capacity. Even if we upgraded to a 3500 Ram it seems to exceed this. How can this be possible? What part of the equation are we missing? What truck is capable of hauling this or do we listen to the dealer that our truck is fine? Just wanting to be safe. Thanks for the advice.
109 REPLIES 109

lizwood71
Explorer
Explorer
There is a place here that will show your vehicle all weekend. I think we will go that route Ta sale it. Unless anybody Close by to us reading those wants to come take a look !;). Even the guy at the dealership said he was going to pay 28,500 but not to take the offer

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
lizwood71 wrote:
Thanks all. We actually had dodge build his perfect truck brand new on line. Haven't actually ordered it. But at least we know now. It's supposed to have payload @6000. It will be all worth it soon. Then he will need some of those swing outs. Then maybe we can finally go camp in style.

Ha, well that's a 180! Congrats on getting a new truck.
So who's going to buy that low mile 05??
Everyone here said its a holy Grail truck.....should have a buyer on here!
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

Mattyd
Explorer
Explorer
Edit: statement / comment already addressed.
2016 AF 990
2013 Ram 3500 Dually, Crew Cab, 4x4 CTD
Hellwig Rear Anti-Sway Bar
Torklift StableLoads & Fastguns
2014 Rubicon Unlimited

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
twodownzero wrote:
GeoBoy wrote:

Forget the payload capacity. A TC is usually 10.5' to 12.5' tall, totally different kind of payload.
If you are getting a 1 ton dually make sure that it is rated to carry a Slide-In Camper that is over 4,000 + lbs.. The GMC in my signiture has a sticker in the glove box stating that it can carry a Slide-In Camper up to 4913 lbs..

I don't actually think this is good advice, although well intentioned. The reason I say this is that manufacturers have been known to not rate pickup trucks for any slide in camper at all because they have a snow plow prep package, under the idea that some idiot will plow snow with the camper on.

For most of our trucks, GVWR - empty weight will get you a good starting point. Of course we also need to assure we have a thousand pounds left for people and our stuff inside as well.

I see your point. We have all seen things that people do and just shake our head saying "what are they thinking".

lizwood71
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks all. We actually had dodge build his perfect truck brand new on line. Haven't actually ordered it. But at least we know now. It's supposed to have payload @6000. It will be all worth it soon. Then he will need some of those swing outs. Then maybe we can finally go camp in style.

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:

Forget the payload capacity. A TC is usually 10.5' to 12.5' tall, totally different kind of payload.
If you are getting a 1 ton dually make sure that it is rated to carry a Slide-In Camper that is over 4,000 + lbs.. The GMC in my signiture has a sticker in the glove box stating that it can carry a Slide-In Camper up to 4913 lbs..

I don't actually think this is good advice, although well intentioned. The reason I say this is that manufacturers have been known to not rate pickup trucks for any slide in camper at all because they have a snow plow prep package, under the idea that some idiot will plow snow with the camper on.

For most of our trucks, GVWR - empty weight will get you a good starting point. Of course we also need to assure we have a thousand pounds left for people and our stuff inside as well.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
twodownzero wrote:
So glad to see you're getting a new truck. I have a 1 ton SRW and I'm over my weight ratings by 5-600 pounds, whereas you're over by at least 2000. No matter what anyone says, that would never be safe. Get a DRW and don't look back. Consider even going up to a 4500 or 5500 for future growth.

Make sure whatever truck you choose has at least 4,000 pounds of payload capacity. WEIGH IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT!

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
I was gonna say make your 05 a short bed dually. Best of both worlds. Get to keep the truck you love and can be done correctly for less money than upgrading to any low mile mega dually.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

twodownzero
Explorer
Explorer
So glad to see you're getting a new truck. I have a 1 ton SRW and I'm over my weight ratings by 5-600 pounds, whereas you're over by at least 2000. No matter what anyone says, that would never be safe. Get a DRW and don't look back. Consider even going up to a 4500 or 5500 for future growth.

Make sure whatever truck you choose has at least 4,000 pounds of payload capacity. WEIGH IT BEFORE YOU BUY IT!

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
zb39 wrote:
GeoBoy wrote:
lizwood71 wrote:
Thanks. I think we found one we really are interested in. 2012 3500 Dodge ram dual wheel rear diesel, automatic mega cab with only 28,000 miles Hope it works out

I walked away from a new 2012 Dodge 3500 Larime Longhorn dually, loaded. The dealer was going to give me a killer deal but hearing all the problems they were having with the EGR and particulate filter and horrible fuel mileage I just didn't want the headaches at any price. This TC thing is supposed to be fun. The newer Cummins running DEF are much better trucks. Take your time and find the right dually, one that will give you future options.

I never had a single issue with my 2011. Never even had a message or code pop up in 4.5 years of owning it. I think the emissions were pretty good after 2009.

Only changes were done with software, the hardware remained the same.
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

zb39
Explorer
Explorer
GeoBoy wrote:
lizwood71 wrote:
Thanks. I think we found one we really are interested in. 2012 3500 Dodge ram dual wheel rear diesel, automatic mega cab with only 28,000 miles Hope it works out

I walked away from a new 2012 Dodge 3500 Larime Longhorn dually, loaded. The dealer was going to give me a killer deal but hearing all the problems they were having with the EGR and particulate filter and horrible fuel mileage I just didn't want the headaches at any price. This TC thing is supposed to be fun. The newer Cummins running DEF are much better trucks. Take your time and find the right dually, one that will give you future options.

I never had a single issue with my 2011. Never even had a message or code pop up in 4.5 years of owning it. I think the emissions were pretty good after 2009.
2017 Host mammoth, sold
49 states, 41 National Parks, 7 Provinces
2019 2 door Rubicon 6 spd.
2019 Berkshire XLT 45B
2022 Host Cascade
2021 Ram 5500 Air ride

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
lizwood71 wrote:

Vinsil
Explorer
Explorer
Good luck.

FYI, that year truck will have a dpf filter and egr valve/cooler. It was the last year of the growing pains of emissions. Something to consider, it also has the same frame, brakes and steering as your current truck. So you gain tire/wheel capacity out of the extra two in the back and a factory upper overload. Not much more...so divide the cost of the current trucks value with the new truck and add up the upgrades...you might be shocked that you will do the same suspension upgrades to the mega as you would your current truck....so think about that

You will lose mileage over your current truck. The 6.7 in the megacab is more powerful but in my honest opinion, I would look for a 2013+ as they figured out the emissions, got a stronger frame/brakes and steering....all around better truck! I just don't see the real upgrade with a '12 megacab.

If you weren't in CA and you deleted the '12....that solves some issues with the dpf filter and the VGT turbo...

Your choice but do some research before you spend the money. I'd hate for you to be disappointed with the new truck...

I was considering a new '16 myself and after some good discussion here and my own research, even the "new" improved models didn't have enough improvement to me to spend the cash....
2017 Ford F-350, crewcab, 4x4, 6.7 diesel.
2016 Thunderjet Luxor 21' limited edition, Yamaha powered.
2016 Wolf Creek 840-SOLD, Arctic Fox 990 ordered.

lizwood71
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah the AF people suggested some air bags , Torklift stable load , swing bars and new front tie downs. So it will be definitely be a process. But at least we are informed now and moving in the right direction ๐Ÿ˜‰

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
All comments and opinions here cannot guarantee it will be a smooth ride. IIRC there have been some folks here who have been less than satisfied with TC's on MC's. Even though it is a 3500 DRW you still may need to do some suspension upgrades... I guess what I am trying to say is that this truck out of the box may still need some improvements.

My 3500 (minus the training wheels) is essentially the same platform as a Mega and I had to do some upgrades (listed in my sig) for a camper that (per mfgr specs) is much lighter than yours.)
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.