cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Atwood Furnace 8525-IV DCLP Ignition problem

alenk
Explorer
Explorer
My Atwood Furnace won't ignite. The Travel Trailer is a 2013 Tracer, so it's almost new. And it has worked well for two winters. I've checked everything I can find.
LP gas is on and lighting every burner on the stove, so I know I have LP gas. Burner is clean, no air flow problems, and no dust in connectors on the board.
Thermostat turns on the blower, but the igniter won't fire. I wiggled some wires and got it to fire the burner on, and then when it cycled off it wouldn't come on the second time... even when wiggling the wiring. I checked all the connections and they are all tight. (Even those under the seat inside)
I've searched Atwood's Website, and can't locate anything to give me an idea how to replace the ignition device.
I sure hate to spend the money to have an RV service repair it...
Any suggestions???
Thanks, Al.
13 REPLIES 13

alenk
Explorer
Explorer
UPDATE:
I received the sail-switch from American RV Company, and finally got the time to install it.
I had to take the cover off the blower motor, and the switch was located on the inside wall of the cover.
Replacement was easy, but time consuming... took about an hour, start to finish.
Furnace is working like a charm. Thanks everyone for hints and suggestions.
Al

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Thanks for the update!

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

alenk
Explorer
Explorer
Well, I tried. I took the door off, disconnected the reset switch, and took the 7prong plug off the board. Then I took the fan housing off, and the Sail Switch was mounted on the underside of the housing. I blew all the dust out of it with my compressor. Blew the dust out of the squirrel cage and exhaust area. Then I plugged all the electrical back in, and turned it on. Then I let the blower blow about 30 seconds, and then I held the sail switch on, and the gas igniter worked, and the burner came on! So it worked while I held the sail switch on. Then I put everything back together, and it didn't come on after all that.
Therefore, I have decided that the Sail Switch isn't working without help, so I'll order that switch and put it on. Then maybe it'll work as it is supposed to. Anyway, I feel better about things than I did yesterday.
Thanks, everyone! This is an awesome forum!!
Al

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
alenk wrote:
schlep1967 wrote:
Here is a troubleshooting guide that should help. Linky

Thanks for trying... but your link is for a Water Heater... my trouble is with my furnace.
Al
sorry about that.
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

alenk
Explorer
Explorer
To enblethen:

I located on the Atwood Website, (finally) the 8500 series manual. And I located the Sail Switch location... Now I have to try to get to it, and blow it out.
Thanks. I'll post again if this does the trick!
I really appreciate everyone trying to help me out...
Al

alenk
Explorer
Explorer
schlep1967 wrote:

Thanks for trying... but your link is for a Water Heater... my trouble is with my furnace.
Al

schlep1967
Nomad
Nomad
2021 Chevy Silverado LTZ 3500 Diesel
2022 Montana Legacy 3931FB
Pull-Rite Super Glide 4500

enblethen
Nomad
Nomad
Open outside access, look for a Blue wire coming off the time delay relay, follow it to the sail switch located in the fan housing. Only a small rectangular part will be showing and the arm of the switch will be inside the housing.
I would get a can of compressed computer air and blow the furnace out paying attention to the sail switch area.
I am looking at an Atwood manual. Not sure which model you have and whether it has a time delay relay separate or on the circuit board. Either way the blue wire goes to the sail switch and comes back on a white wire to the thermal cutout.
Slide down on this site to the portion for furnaces. Locate the second Atwood furnace manual. See if it helps. It is under the hydroflame "04
Manuals

Bud
USAF Retired
Pace Arrow

2003 Chev Ice Road Tracker

alenk
Explorer
Explorer
hbhconstruction2010 wrote:
It sences airflow on the exhaust side.

I can't find that switch. I removed the exhaust pipe. Where is the switch in relation to that exhaust pipe. Is it inside the heater?
Thanks...

alenk
Explorer
Explorer
midnightsadie wrote:
just a guess,, does the stat have a battery in it?? and your 12volt battery is charged? they need 12volt to run. even on shore power.

Yes. The fan comes on but will just go off after the fire will not ignite.

hbhconstruction
Explorer
Explorer
It sences airflow on the exhaust side.
2007 Keystone Laredo 284BHS
1996 Hurricane Fundeck 221 (lots of family fun)
2001 Ford F150 Supercrew 4X4 (tow vehicle)
2006 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer (wifes rig won't let me tow with it to save her life)
4 Year Old Boy
2 Year Old Boy
1 Year Old Corgie

hbhconstruction
Explorer
Explorer
I had similar issues with a different model of Atwood heater. I ended up having to replace a switch that sences the airflow going out from blower. The blower comes on first and if the switch that sences airflow makes contact the furnace will then proceed with lighting if not it will shut off.
2007 Keystone Laredo 284BHS
1996 Hurricane Fundeck 221 (lots of family fun)
2001 Ford F150 Supercrew 4X4 (tow vehicle)
2006 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer (wifes rig won't let me tow with it to save her life)
4 Year Old Boy
2 Year Old Boy
1 Year Old Corgie

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
just a guess,, does the stat have a battery in it?? and your 12volt battery is charged? they need 12volt to run. even on shore power.