Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Auxillary Fuel Tank ?

Gulfcoast
Explorer
Explorer
2006 Chevy 2500 - 6.0

My Chevy 2500 has only a 26 gallon gas tank and the range is not too far when towing a trailer.

Curious...is there an auxiliary tank available for gasoline?

Ideas?
RV'ing since 1960
Dodge Cummins Diesel
Mega Cab
Jayco Travel Trailer
45 REPLIES 45

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
mem, you got it wrong. You can transfer gas from an aux into the main tank but you cannot hook the gas feed from the aux into the vehicle fuel system down stream from the tank. My aux pumps into the truck filler neck, whenever I turn on the pump switch in the cab of the truck.

anyway that is what I heard tell down on lot 26 where i am camping. :B

JRscooby
Explorer II
Explorer II
kw/00 wrote:
Just a thought, when GM offered the long bed, it also came with a 36 gallon tank. This will be a perfect replacement for your current fuel tank. They offered the long bed trucks during that model that you have and still do. Some junk yards have those trucks and or fuel tanks, Iโ€™m sure that you could get it cheaper there. It would be factory and basic plug and play to install. Thatโ€™s what I would do.

But if the tank would fit under a short bed would GM go to the expense of making 2 tanks? Not at least offer the big as a extra cost option?

kw_00
Explorer
Explorer
Just a thought, when GM offered the long bed, it also came with a 36 gallon tank. This will be a perfect replacement for your current fuel tank. They offered the long bed trucks during that model that you have and still do. Some junk yards have those trucks and or fuel tanks, Iโ€™m sure that you could get it cheaper there. It would be factory and basic plug and play to install. Thatโ€™s what I would do.
A truck, a camper, a few toys, but most importantly a wonderful family.

edatlanta
Explorer
Explorer
ford truck guy wrote:
Titan Fuel tanks... I have a 51 gallon that is sitting in the same spot that the original tank was sitting in under the truck

The same here with my 52 gallon Titan. It has been in service for almost 13 years now.
Ed
KM4STL

2006 GMC 2500HD CCSB 4x4 Duramax/Allison, Titan 52 gallon fuel tank, Prodigy Controller, B&W Companion Hitch, Progressive Industries EMS-PT50C, TST Systems 507 TPMS
2010 Jayco Designer 35RLTS,Cummins/Onan RV QG 5500 EVAP
Fulltime since 2010

memilanuk
Explorer
Explorer
My understanding was that the auxiliary tanks where you pump the fuel into the aux tank, and then manually pump the fuel from the aux tank into the vehicle tank, *are* legal for gasoline. You pretty much have to stop, get out, and do the pumping while stationary (unless you like to live dangerously). Still beats the heck out of having to pull into a truck stop, or having to juggle your fueling stops because of long stretches without anything resembling civilization + an engine that gets single-digit fuel economy.

What's not legal (AFAIK) is the kind you see on diesel TVs, where they have *auto* transfer pumps to ship the fuel from the aux tank to the vehicle tank, while it's running. The impression I got was that the DOT won't sign off on such aftermarket devices for gasoline engines, due to the explosion hazards compared to diesel.

happy2rv
Explorer
Explorer
hornet28 wrote:
happy2rv wrote:
I've been looking into the same thing for a 2017 RAM 1500. From everything I've been able find out, it appears that auxiliary tanks for gasoline have been outlawed. There are lots of options for diesel, but nothing for gasoline.

Auxiliary tanks for gas are legal. Check Transfer Flows 40,50,75 gal. tanks for gas

Transfer flow was one of the first places I looked. The only thing they claim will fit a 2017 RAM 1500 are 40, 82, and 100(50/50) refueling tanks. I couldn't find anything that claimed to work in a 1/2 ton Ford, GM, or RAM gas pickup plumbed in to transfer or feed the existing fuel system. Same holds true for Titan tanks and a number of other popular manufacturers.

I was told by a local truck accessories shop that it was illegal, and based on my research to that point it seemed reasonable since I found lots of options for diesel and none claiming to fit gas. However, as posted by Durb, Aluminum Tank Industries does have auxiliary tanks that are listed for gas. They don't have a fitment guide, so I can't say for sure they will fit, but I will be checking in with a local distributor after Christmas to see what they can do. Amazon lists the 30 gallon tank with install kit for $594.99.
2018 Forrest River Salem Hemisphere 282RK - 2017 RAM 1500 TV

Previous RVs and TOADS
2004 Fleetwood Bounder 32W on WH W20
2000 Four Winds 5000 21RB
1986 27' Allegro
TOADS
2005 Ford Ranger XLT 2WD
2004 Suzuki Aerio
1988 Chevrolet Sprint

rexmitchell
Explorer
Explorer
If you can live with something not tied into the fuel system why not get two of these? 230ish$ and be done with it. I had one for my boat that held 60 gallons and would top off at the marina with it. That was back when gas on the lake was 6-7$ a gallon.

https://www.amazon.com/DuraMax-Fluid-Transfer-14-Gallon-Rolling/dp/B000MT94QA

fj12ryder
Explorer II
Explorer II
tomman58 wrote:
We have had even a 26 gallon diesel tank on an older truck. The bottom line for us is we have to pee no matter how big the tank LOL
Well, nobody forces you to stay in the truck until you get low on gas, but it's nice to stop at someplace nicer to use the facilities instead of a stinky, noisy, crowded gas station. And it's nice that you get to pick the place to stop, not the truck.
Howard and Peggy

"Don't Panic"

tomman58
Explorer
Explorer
We have had even a 26 gallon diesel tank on an older truck. The bottom line for us is we have to pee no matter how big the tank LOL
2015 GMC D/A, CC 4x4/ Z71 ,3.73,IBC SLT+
2018 Jayco 338RETS
2 Trek bikes
Honda EU2000i
It must be time to go, the suns out and I've got a full tank of diesel!
We have a granite fireplace hearth! Love to be a little different.

Edd505
Explorer
Explorer
On top of extended mileage I also find fuel at the lowest price, $2.54 - $3.09 with in 50 miles of each other. I fuel when I want not when have to plus save about $50 on an 80 gallon fill.
2015 F350 FX4 SRW 6.7 Crew, longbed - 2017 Durango Gold 353RKT
2006 F350 SRW 6.0 crew longbed sold
2000 F250 SRW 7.3 extended longbed airbags sold
2001 Western Star 4900EX sold
Jayco Eagle 30.5BHLT sold, Layton 24.5LT sold

2oldman
Explorer
Explorer
Dave H M wrote:
some folks with deep pockets just gotta have the spencive stuff.
I like spencive stuff.
"If I'm wearing long pants, I'm too far north" - 2oldman

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Gulfcoast wrote:
It's sure good to stop and walk around for a bit, it really makes the trip seem easier as we get older.

This post and the post above it seem to defend the puny fuel tanks on some trucks, especially gas hauling a trailer.
News flash, you can still stop every hour or 2 to take a leak or stretch or whatever without filling up.
For the rest (majority) of people, more fuel capacity is very welcome for a multitude of reasons, none of which will cause someone to pee their pants...
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

smarty
Explorer
Explorer
You first must decide if you want the auxiliary tank in the bed of your truck or underneath (replacing the original tank that came with the truck). Once you decide this you have many options either way

hornet28
Explorer
Explorer
happy2rv wrote:
I've been looking into the same thing for a 2017 RAM 1500. From everything I've been able find out, it appears that auxiliary tanks for gasoline have been outlawed. There are lots of options for diesel, but nothing for gasoline.

Auxiliary tanks for gas are legal. Check Transfer Flows 40,50,75 gal. tanks for gas

Dave_H_M
Explorer
Explorer
Gulfcoast, you can cut that price way way down. some folks with deep pockets just gotta have the spencive stuff.

Maybe get a reasonable priced one and just buy the transferflow decal? :B:h