cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bathroom door hanger

purpleinnej
Explorer
Explorer
This is a super silly and frivolous question, but I'm going to ask anyways. I'm looking for an over-the-door set of hooks to put on the bathroom door to hold our towels. However, the door is only 1.25" thick and all of the ones I can find are made for wider doors, which means they don't "grip" the door properly. The one we have now slides all over the place, which is really annoying. Has anyone had any luck with one that fits properly? Or are you wedging washcloths in to make the door "wider" at the top? Or... something else?
2005 Starcraft TravelStar 19CK Expandable
Towed with 2007 Chevrolet Silverado 2500HD Diesel Crew Cab
Mike - Air Force, Jenni - AF Civilian, Jackson - 2007 Model male, Alex - 2009 Model male
11 REPLIES 11

Jayco254
Explorer
Explorer
I shaped a piece of wood the same as the hanger and glued it too the hanger so it matches the thickness of the door then I put a screw into the top of the hanger bracket then screwed it into the top of the door.
Tom, Kathy, Nikki, & Kelly
Pets: Lady - Texas Heeler, Dinger - Rhodesian Riidgeback Mix
2008 Ford Expedition Eddie Bauer 4x4 5.4 ci 3.73 gears
2008 Dodge Ram SLT Big Horn 4x4 5.7L Hemi 3.92 gears
2007 Jayco Jayfeather EXP 254
Husky W/D, P-3

minn_camping_fa
Explorer
Explorer
I took some of that non-skid rubbery stuff that is sold near the shelf liners in the stores (it comes in a roll) then cut two strips to fit the underside of the part that goes over the door. Then I glued the strips to the metal and once dry hung it on the door. It doesn't slide at all and I can still take it off the door if I want to. Hope that helps.

Edited to add link - it looks just like this:
http://www.amazon.com/Duck-1100731-Non-Adhesive-12-Inch-20-Feet/dp/B002AS9NAI

Wavesprite
Explorer II
Explorer II
We did the same, but the hooks face out for jackets and on the inside is a shoe hanger with all of our bathroom stuff, bug spray, etc in it.....

Padlin
Explorer
Explorer
I did the same as Jerrybo, added 1/4" thick 1" wide HD foam gasket/weatherseal to it.
Happy Motoring
Bob & Deb

W Ma.
12 F150 HD SCAB EcoBoost LB 4x4
14 Escape 5.0 TA

Lynnmor
Explorer
Explorer
x5rdman wrote:
My metal hanger had screw holes in the top, the part that is on top of the door. Couple of screws and it has never moved.

That's what I did. I removed the door to install it. I also sawed off the unsightly portion that sticks over the opposite side. Make some bumpers out of tape or velcro and cushion the hanger everywhere it contacts the door to prevent damage. I also sprayed the hangers with Rustoleum anti-skid so that the towels stay put.

x5rdman
Explorer
Explorer
My metal hanger had screw holes in the top, the part that is on top of the door. Couple of screws and it has never moved.
2008 Jayco Ex-Port 17C
2007 Trailblazer

oldtrojan66
Explorer
Explorer
I always overdo stuff, so this is how I would handle this. I would measure the width of the hanger. Cut a piece of wood thick enough to take up the space plus 1/8" Make it about a 1/2" wider than the width of the hanger and remove about 1/8" where the hanger is. Then just screw the hanger to the side of the door away from the frame with screws about 1/2" to 3/4" longer than the thickness of the block. The edges of hollow doors usually have a strip of solid wood around the edges, so don't go too far from the edge with the screws. hope this helps.
2007 Jayco Designer 36RLTS
2006 F350 DRW 6.0 PSD (powerstrokehelp.com)
When you're born, everyone is smiling and you're crying. Live so that when you die everyone else is crying and you're smiling!

Escargot
Explorer
Explorer
I have an over the door hanger, and had the same problem.
I shimmed the hanger with wood and trimmed the edges with a utility knife.
2006 Pleasure Way Plateau TS, MB Sprinter

Jerrybo66
Explorer
Explorer
So many ways.. A piece of double sticky tape and matching foam rubber etc. should be a cheap quick fix.. 😉
Support the Country you live in or live in the Country you support
2003 Sierra SP 26'Toy Hauler
1997 F-350, PSD, 4X4, red Crew Cab, long bed.
2007 Arctic Cat Prowler, Arctic Cat 500

Vet_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Can you close it up some with pliers or a hammer if it is metal?
2008 Itasca Sunrise 35A
2008 Honda CRV Toad
2016 Chev ZR1 Colorado Toad

"We Traveled To Alot Of Different Places While On Vacation, Until The wife Asked Directions"

camper19709
Explorer
Explorer
I found some at the local Dollar Tree. They are plastic. Wide at the top but close at the bottom so it clamps onto the door.
Chip
06 SurfSide
30ft class A
2 slides
Ford V10 chassis
04 Chevy Astro van toad