cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Batteries - Diesel Trucks

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to solicit a few opinions on batteries. My 2015 Ram is on it's original set of batteries, so about three and a half years of use and a little under 50,000 miles. I haven't had any failures to start yet but I've noticed a couple of times after running the grid heater on cold mornings the last week or two I've had a click before I turn the key back off and then it has fired up on the second try. I assume running the heater immediately prior to starting has run the batteries down enough they are tight on having enough juice for cranking the engine,

Am I at the point I need to replace the batteries? I'm a little on the early end of what I generally consider the replacement cycle for batteries in the other vehicles I've owned. I wondered with two batteries if I'd actually get a little extra life, but on the other hand it is cranking a bigger engine and running the grid heater.

Opinions?
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB
56 REPLIES 56

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
I've got a 2002 7.3 V8 Powerstroke turbodiesel that has tandem FoMoCo, batteries on it.

What brand AGM 12V batteries are others using?

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
DustyR wrote:
For diesel applications are the AGM batteries better than the lead-acid types?

AGM batteries ARE Lead Acid. just not a flooded cell battery.

Are they better? define better and decide what is important and then compare AGM strength and weakness vs. other batteries.
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

ppine
Explorer II
Explorer II
Use a hydrometer. Make sure they have water and charge them up. Check again. They will let you know when they are starting to fail.

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer

miltvill
Explorer II
Explorer II
My 2008 would not start up one morning. So I put my battery jump starter on the truck. But it would not start. I then also attached my battery charger and placed it on 50 amp start. It took both to provide enough amps to fire up the glow plugs and start my truck. I replaced both batteries. DW ran my battery tester over so I could not check my batteries. I know it was my fault for leaving my battery tester on the driveway next to my truck while I was working on it.
2020 GMC Denali\Duramax 3500HD Dually Crew Cab
Sold-Trail Cruiser TC23QB

Skid_Row_Joe
Explorer
Explorer
I went with Interstate AGM.

Are Interstate AGMs ever on-sale at a discount retailer to their standard pricing? Seems like they are uniform priced yearound, unlike other battery brands.

Side Question:
Are AGMs suitable as House batteries on my Class C coach? I've been using 2/Interstate wet batteries as my House batteries.

TAS1
Explorer
Explorer
To the OP...

I too have a 15 Ram with close to the same mileage. We had a few cold days here in S. LA and it was enough to do them in. I replaced both with AGM batteries from O'Reilly to the tune of $400. They gave no warning at all that they were getting weak. I went out one morning and , CLICK!
Todd
15 Ram Megacab 3500 4x4 SRW
18 Street Glide Special
13 Harley Fatboy Lo (gone)
94 Harley FLSTC
98 TJ w/ a few mods
18 Momentum 351M

CharlesinGA
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a 2003 Ram 2500 5.9L HO CTD in Feburary of '18 I bought it from a flipper who got it from the original owner. It was low mileage, 86K and built in January '03. It still had the original Damiler-Chrysler labeled batteries in it. The "green eye" batteries made by Delco I think. While it hesitated slightly, it still started. Batteries were the first thing I changed. Shopped to see who had AGM's on sale and it was Bosch AGM's at Pep Boys, 25% off at the time. so two batteries and $300 later I was set. Working 15 year old batteries are rare, I normally expect about 6 years before they fail.

In the summer of 2017 I replaced the 7/11 dated Advance Gold group 49 battery in my '06 chassis Sprinter motorhome, as I expected it was near end of life and I was going on a long trip. I installed a Sears AGM because that was the sale at the time. Old battery is still good, sitting on the shop floor. (I traded in a totally dead junk battery that was sitting outside the shop)

Speaking of parasitic/vampire draw on batteries, the later Sprinters draw so much current when parked that they have a battery disconnect under the dash near the accelerator and generally if it is going to sit over a week, it is a good idea to disconnect it.

Charles
'03 Ram 2500 CTD, 5.9HO six speed, PacBrake Exh Brake, std cab, long bed, Leer top and 2008 Bigfoot 25B21RB.. previously (both gone) 2008 Thor/Dutchman Freedom Spirit 180 & 2007 Winnebago View 23H Motorhome.

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
Battery life is also very much dependent on climate. I live in the desert Southwest, and the desert heat significantly shortens battery life. I have never gotten more than 3 years out of a new battery, gas or diesel, and this is many vehicles over many years.

I get 2-3 years out of them and that's it. And yes, I do keep the battery water level up and clean the battery terminals regularly.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
joebedford wrote:
Not CTD, but my Duramax batteries are original and over 7 years old. A couple of weeks ago it sat in -5F temperatures for a week and started.

The Duramax forum has a lot of supporters of CAT batteries.

I have read that CAT batteries are good ones .

joebedford
Nomad II
Nomad II
Not CTD, but my Duramax batteries are original and over 7 years old. A couple of weeks ago it sat in -5F temperatures for a week and started.

The Duramax forum has a lot of supporters of CAT batteries.

DustyR
Explorer
Explorer
For diesel applications are the AGM batteries better than the lead-acid types?
2016 Open Range 319RLS
Tow Vehicle: 2008 Silverado 2500 HD
Duramax, Allison Transmission.

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
"Any reason why your son did not opt for AGM replacements ?"

Sorry missed this.

I would assume it is because of Costco and Interstate usage before. 30 mo free replacement.

Thanks , Been several years since I bought an Interstate battery, always had good service out of them.

After going back, and forth on our OE batteries in the Ram trucks in a Cummins forum, it seems like a lot of members are going with the AGM replacements. I am still up in the air at this point, the Interstate batteries from Costco will be hard to pass up, and at a reasonable price .

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Any reason why your son did not opt for AGM replacements ?"

Sorry missed this.

I would assume it is because of Costco and Interstate usage before. 30 mo free replacement.
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD