cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Batteries - Diesel Trucks

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
I wanted to solicit a few opinions on batteries. My 2015 Ram is on it's original set of batteries, so about three and a half years of use and a little under 50,000 miles. I haven't had any failures to start yet but I've noticed a couple of times after running the grid heater on cold mornings the last week or two I've had a click before I turn the key back off and then it has fired up on the second try. I assume running the heater immediately prior to starting has run the batteries down enough they are tight on having enough juice for cranking the engine,

Am I at the point I need to replace the batteries? I'm a little on the early end of what I generally consider the replacement cycle for batteries in the other vehicles I've owned. I wondered with two batteries if I'd actually get a little extra life, but on the other hand it is cranking a bigger engine and running the grid heater.

Opinions?
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB
56 REPLIES 56

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
Learjet wrote:
ktmrfs wrote:
philh wrote:
Camreal wrote:
My 2005 discharges the batteries 24 hours a day. I have read that this is normal draw from the electrical systems. If I let the truck sit idle for a couple months I know to put a charger to keep them up. Batteries dont like being discharged.

Thanks to all the computers ๐Ÿ™‚

well, I disagree. at least 15 years ago mfg solved the long term accy discharge problem with a several stage shutdown of onboard elecronics.

if they are discharging in less than a few months something is likely amis.

Every vehicle I've had with computers and electronics in it has 3 stages of current draw after shutdown

1) immedidately after turning off ignition with everything off may be in the 1A range
2) exiting and closing doors etc. next stage of shutdown draw goes to the 100-300 ma range
3) after a set time often around 20 minutes full shutdown where current draw is close to battery self discharge rate. takes months to discharge even to 50% SOC

in the full shutdown, things like alarm etc. still are operational but don't wake up until something triggers them.

Now if something is preventing (3) from occuring or there is a fault, and you stay is (2) battery will be discharged way to soon if left unattended.

My truck has Uconnect, which uses a cellular connection to remote start, lock doors and other feature from a phone/computer...your above statement is not correct the cellular radio transmits and receives on a regular basis. Also, passive entry systems use power in standby mode. I think you quoted some old info.

well, my truck a 2015 has similar "features" and a regularly leave it sitting for over a month at a time in the winter and it never has a run down battery. I put it on a battery tender charger (3A) every 4-6 weeks and it on average takes about 3 hours ((9AH) to bring it up to full charge.
Given the batteries are 150AH total, not much drain at all in a month. So at least with mine the "standby" drain is quite low.

In the case of my duramax between shutdown and 48 hours onstar/wifi draw can be as high as 20ma, after 48 hours it wakes up every 10 minutes for a check then shuts down. draw from the remote entry is less than 1ma. after full shutdown.

spec'd max "standby" draw on my truck should be below 30ma after 2 hours.

.030X24=.75AH/day given the truck has 150AH of batteries after 2 months it would be down by 40AH or 75%SOC, easily enough charge to start the truck.

given my experience in trickle charge I'd estimate the standby current is closer to 10 ma.

"After the ignition is turned OFF the control modules will begin to go to sleep (shut OFF). All control modules do not go to sleep at the same time, some may take up to 30 minutes or longer after turning the ignition off before going to sleep. Others such as the ON Star and keyless entry control modules may periodically wake up then go back to sleep."
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

Learjet
Explorer
Explorer
ktmrfs wrote:
philh wrote:
Camreal wrote:
My 2005 discharges the batteries 24 hours a day. I have read that this is normal draw from the electrical systems. If I let the truck sit idle for a couple months I know to put a charger to keep them up. Batteries dont like being discharged.

well, I disagree. at least 15 years ago mfg solved the long term accy discharge problem with a several stage shutdown of onboard elecronics.

Every vehicle I've had with computers and electronics in it has 3 stages of current draw after shutdown

1) immedidately after turning off ignition with everything off may be in the 1A range
2) exiting and closing doors etc. next stage of shutdown draw goes to the 100-300 ma range
3) after a set time often around 20 minutes full shutdown where current draw is close to battery self discharge rate. takes months to discharge even to 50% SOC

in the full shutdown, things like alarm etc. still are operational but don't wake up until something triggers them.

Now if something is preventing (3) from occuring or there is a fault, and you stay is (2) battery will be discharged way to soon if left unattended.

My truck has Uconnect, which uses a cellular connection to remote start, lock doors and other feature from a phone/computer...your above statement is not correct the cellular radio transmits and receives on a regular basis. Also, passive entry systems use power in standby mode. I think you quoted some old info.
2017 Ram Big Horn, DRW Long Box, 4x4, Cummins, Aisin, 3.73
2022 Jayco Pinnacle 32RLTS, Onan 5500, Disc Brakes, 17.5" tires
B&W Ram Companion

Bedlam
There are now anti-theft, telemetry and wireless access devices that run constantly even if at low state of draw in addition to radios and clocks. My F250 and 5500 have a minimal amount of these devices, but my Jetta and Sonic have more vampire loads on the battery than for which I care.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
philh wrote:
Camreal wrote:

2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
I want to give my thoughts on batteries. My wife has many health issues and a heart that is very weak so if I have any clue of a battery issue new batteries are installed at that time. I figure it is a life or death issue.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"Be careful when disconnecting. There is a fuse built into the positive battery cable post connector and mine popped somehow during the change. Those post connectors are a dealer only item."

Same happened to my Son. He did not know it had popped. His touch screen was blank and nothing else was effected. The dealer found it while he was getting recalls done. Fuse was $27 and NO labor charge.

2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

LIKE2BUILD
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
I wanted to solicit a few opinions on batteries. My 2015 Ram is on it's original set of batteries....a couple of times after running the grid heater on cold mornings the last week or two I've had a click before I turn the key back off and then it has fired up on the second try....Am I at the point I need to replace the batteries?

Maybe so. Had to replace batteries in my '14 last year. I had similar odd behavior on cold starts when using the grid heater. After testing the batteries I found one of them had a dead cell so I was essentially working off one battery.

Be careful when disconnecting. There is a fuse built into the positive battery cable post connector and mine popped somehow during the change. Those post connectors are a dealer only item.

KJ
'14 Ram 2500|Crew Cab Long Bed|4X4|Cummins
Curt Q20 with Ram 5th Wheel Prep
2000 Crownline 205BR
1997 Ranger Comanche 461VS
'01 Polaris Virage TX PWC
'94 Polaris SLT750 PWC
3 Wonderful Sons (21, 15, & 13)
1 forgiving wife!!!

philh
Explorer II
Explorer II
Camreal wrote:

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
FLY 4 FUN wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Larry-D wrote:
2015 3500 CTD with 52k miles no problem with the batteries, so far. Probably just jinxed it.

Mine acted very strange when the batteries were older. When cold, I would get a rythmic discharge cycling on my V meter about 5 times as fast as the grid heaters. You could see the lights dim and brighten very quickly (it was NOT the GH's). It didn't seem to hurt anything but I eventually replaced the batts and the symptom quit immediately.

I also noted this exact same symptom on my 12, but when I read my manual it states that its normal after startup for headlights to dim and voltmeter spikes as truck warms up first minute or two.

Daryll

He said it wasnโ€™t the grid heater, it was more rapid than that.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

cummins2014
Explorer
Explorer
Cummins12V98 wrote:
My Son just replaced his on his 2015 with 88k, we ordered our trucks at the same time mine are fine.

He said there was a bit of corrosion that was not visible before removing terminals.

Those appear to be the non AGM's , standard batteries from Costco , I believe they sell for 143.99 ea. ?? .

Mine in my 2014 Ram are nearly 5 years old now, but appear to be okay, wondering if this winter just may get them. I will go with the Costco Batteries if they offer an AGM, not sure if they do, they don't online .

Any reason why your son did not opt for AGM replacements ?

Camreal
Explorer
Explorer

FLY_4_FUN
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Larry-D wrote:
2015 3500 CTD with 52k miles no problem with the batteries, so far. Probably just jinxed it.

Mine acted very strange when the batteries were older. When cold, I would get a rythmic discharge cycling on my V meter about 5 times as fast as the grid heaters. You could see the lights dim and brighten very quickly (it was NOT the GH's). It didn't seem to hurt anything but I eventually replaced the batts and the symptom quit immediately.

I also noted this exact same symptom on my 12, but when I read my manual it states that its normal after startup for headlights to dim and voltmeter spikes as truck warms up first minute or two.

Daryll
2012 Dodge Ram 3500 crew SB 4x4 CTD 3.73
2015 Brookstone 315RL
2009 Colorado 29BHS (sold 2015)
05 Jayflight 29BHS (sold 2008)
99 Jayco Eagle 12SO (sold 2005)

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
rhagfo wrote:
The important thing that IdaD stated in his original post was replacing BATTERIES (Plural)! This is one time a diesel cost more in maintenance than a gasser.

True story!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

MinnCamper
Explorer
Explorer
I must be lucky! My 06 Duramax still has original batteries.

Beaker
Explorer
Explorer
Still have original batteries in mine. Our climate is a little bit warmer than yours!
Also have 2 original tires although they should be replaced.
2008 Silverado 2500HD Duramax
2010 Cruiser 26RK