cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery Security-Theft

1Longbow
Explorer
Explorer
Short of buying a metal box,what are people using to secure your batteries from theft. We do a lot of dry camping and I'm always worried about coming back from a all day hike,to find my batteries gone. Thanks for the ideas
24 REPLIES 24

westend
Explorer
Explorer
4X4Dodger wrote:
1Longbow wrote:
Short of buying a metal box,what are people using to secure your batteries from theft. We do a lot of dry camping and I'm always worried about coming back from a all day hike,to find my batteries gone. Thanks for the ideas

Marine Supply stores sell very heavy duty plastic weatherproof battery boxes for sizes as large as 8D. These look a lot better than the metal ones dont rust and can be bolted to the frame. They are water tight and vented. and it's easy to add a lock some come with them.

The HDPE boxes are very good, as you say, nearly indestructible and fairly inexpensive. The Torklift brand aluminum battery boxes are a step up, IMO. They have an integral lock and are well engineered. They also look good (if that's a consideration). An owner will pay more for the better Torklift box.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

4X4Dodger
Explorer II
Explorer II
1Longbow wrote:

Marine Supply stores sell very heavy duty plastic weatherproof battery boxes for sizes as large as 8D. These look a lot better than the metal ones dont rust and can be bolted to the frame. They are water tight and vented. and it's easy to add a lock some come with them.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
rbpru wrote:
"And such" = etc. etc. etc. :B

Love the Urban Dictionary interpretation of "and such" ...

"the way to end a sentence when ur confused or high" ๐Ÿ˜› ๐Ÿ˜‰

Must be an Americanism ... not commonly used up here in the Great White North. ๐Ÿ˜„
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
"And such" = etc. etc. etc. :B
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

avoidcrowds
Explorer
Explorer
On my last TT, I put a chain around the battery, and through the propane tank handles. Locked with a padlock, with no slack around the battery. Seemed secure enough. Didn't lose a battery.

Current TT has batteries inside the unit, and propane is inaccessible when slide deployed.
2017.5 Lance 1995
2017 F150 EcoBoost, Max Tow
Most camping off-road

Passin_Thru
Explorer
Explorer
A big dog!

Heymon
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:

Although I've seen it mentioned often here on the forums I have no idea what an "and such" is

In the context of this thread, "such" is referring to things attached to my trailer/campsite that could be removed given sufficient desire and persistence on the part of a nefarious individual. So batteries, propane tanks, surge protectors, water pressure regulators, sewer fittings (as if), bikes, chairs, stoves, lanterns, wood, tablecloths, food, beer, etc. I use the word as a shortened version of "suchlike" because I think suchlike would annoy normal people even more.

Also, here is the dictionary definition:

Full Definition of SUCH

1a : of a kind or character to be indicated or suggested

1b: having a quality to a degree to be indicated

2: of the character, quality, or extent previously indicated or implied

3: of so extreme a degree or quality

4: of the same class, type, or sort

5: not specified

6: grammar weenie pejorative, as in "you such".

Definitions #4 and #5 apply here, and hopefully not #6 anymore ๐Ÿ˜›

BubbaChris
Explorer
Explorer
Another cable lock user here, mostly intended to make my TT less attractive to casual thieves.

I also lock up my genny and my Zero-G chairs for the same reason.
2013 Heartland North Trail 22 FBS Caliber Edition
2013 Ford Expedition EL with Tow Package

PenMan
Explorer
Explorer
I use the BD metal straps with strong locks like downtheroad said. I've had batteries stolen while parked in my driveway but the only thing I've had stolen from a campsite was food and we got to sit in the truck while the thief ate it. Big bear.
Chris and Jane
2013 Open Range Journeyer JT337RLS
2006 Dodge Ram 3500, 4x4, Crew Cab, DRW, 5.9 turbo diesel
1996 Harley Davidson Electraglide

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
It does seem like most battery thefts are when the unit is not in use, rather than at the campgrounds.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

Majja13
Explorer
Explorer
While battery theft seams common sometimes I rarely hear of it from campsites. I had mine stole a few years ago from the front of my house. Funny thing is I had just gotten back form a hunt, and had my Charger on them to completely top them off before putting the TT up for the winter. I came out to go to work and saw the leads hanging down. They took the Batteries but left the charger. I know have a nice metal truck box that locks. In my box I could place up to 4. Right now I just run 2 6 volts and the other half of the box of storage of things lime my chalks.
2015 GMC Sierra 2500hd 6.0 w/4:10 rear end
2006 SkyLine Weekender 180
1200/12000 Equal-i-zer WDH

GordonThree
Explorer
Explorer
My batteries are inside the cabin, inside a storage cubby, strapped down and bolted down with cable almost as thick as a lady's wrist... I suppose theives could take them using a battery powered angle grinder, but it wouldn't be inconspicuous.

Hopefully for the thieves my 150 lb malamute wasn't sleeping inside, as I'd hate to have the thieves sue me after getting attacked by him.
2013 KZ Sportsmen Classic 200, 20 ft TT
2020 RAM 1500, 5.7 4x4, 8 speed

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
downtheroad wrote:
Not a big concern for me anyway...but here is a battery lock that might fit your needs.

>>>battery lock<<<

that is the one that I use. Nice folks also.
bumpy

VT_Skier
Explorer
Explorer
I have had a cooler of beer stolen and once when we came back from a hike someone borrowed all our wood pretty sure it was the idiots a few sites down who the night before had no wood and suddenly they had an ample supply.....