cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Battery/shore power question

Anmacc2
Explorer
Explorer
I keep my TT plugged into shore power. Should I disconnect my battery? I've been getting only about a year out of each battery so I know I must be doing something wrong. What is it? Thanks!
Me & Her since 1977
TV 2014 Ford E350 Superduty
TT 2015 keystone Passport Elite 23RB
Boat 20' TriumphDC
21 REPLIES 21

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
Batteries should certainly last longer than a year. I pay a little extra for maintenance free batteries for a couple of reasons including checking them in my Lance TC is a PITA and the battery in the TT is big (a 4D which is equivalent to two group 27's).

First question is shy do you leave it plugged in? Second question is what model converter/charger is in the TT and is it a 3 way?

I would disconnect the battery in any case if you go for long periods without using the TT. If you don't have a built-in battery disconnect switch it's easy enough to add one right in the battery box. Check with your local RV store.
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X

All_I_could_aff
Explorer
Explorer
I'm just sharing what I do, not saying it's right or wrong for anyone else.... My trailer is a 1999 with original (basic) converter. I leave my shore power cord plugged in, but turn off the circuit breaker for the converter. I then plug aftermarket battery tender into one of the interior electric outlets, and attach to batteries. I check water about every other month, but never really needs any.
1999 R-Vision Trail Light B17 hybrid
2006 Explorer Eddie Bauer
2002 Xterra rollinโ€™ on 33โ€™s
1993 Chevy Z24 Convertible
Lives in garage 71,000 miles

JWRoberts
Explorer
Explorer
No you should not.

If you are checking the water level each month and maintaining the proper level, then you need to buy better batteries.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Have you checked the voltage at the battery when the converter is charging it?
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

tonymull
Explorer
Explorer
how deeply are you discharging your battery when you go camping?

pianotuna
Nomad II
Nomad II
What converter is in the RV?
Regards, Don
My ride is a 28 foot Class C, 256 watts solar, 556 amp-hours of Telcom jars, 3000 watt Magnum hybrid inverter, Sola Basic Autoformer, Microair Easy Start.

seaeagle2
Explorer
Explorer
Your battery charger in the converter is messed up instead of trickle / maintaining, It's either not charging or over charging.
2014 F 250 Gasser
2019 Outdoors RV 21RD
"one life, don't blow it", Kona Brewing
"If people concentrated on the really important things in life there'd be a shortage of fishing poles" Doug Larson