Explorer
Explorer
According to the Detroit Free Press

Ram outsells Chevy
41 REPLIES 41

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Some are correct on one thing, Fiat(the brand) is not to great in regards to reliability. However, just because Fiat and Chrysler merged doesn't mean Fiat is building Ram trucks. They are being built at the same factories by the same people before the merger.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
Perrysburg Dodgeboy wrote:
Retired JSO wrote:
Having owned several dodge trucks in the 70โ€™s when they were the only work horse. I would now never own a Ram because Fiat is junk. Always has been, always will be.

LMAO you do know what FIAT owns don't you? Some of the best vehicles out on the road today but hay think what you want.

Don

As far as the Pinto and Vega go, you can add the Chevy Monza to the list. What a POS that thing was. Made me start buying Fords LOL. Lets not talk about the great Dodge Colt/Omni LMAO
Actually owned both a Colt made by Mitsubishi and a Horizon made by Plymouth. I drove the Colt over 200k only replacing the clutch and cable and alternator and timing belt. Traded in on the Horizon that I drove 55k before trading it in on a Chevy 454 SS. Although the Horizon was ugly it was a comfortable car with a upright driving position. The Colt got 35mpg and the Horizon got 32mpg. The 454 SS got 11 mpg, all highway figures. The most uncomfortable car I ever drove was a rented Ford Probe.

Perrysburg_Dodg
Explorer
Explorer
Retired JSO wrote:
Having owned several dodge trucks in the 70โ€™s when they were the only work horse. I would now never own a Ram because Fiat is junk. Always has been, always will be.

LMAO you do know what FIAT owns don't you? Some of the best vehicles out on the road today but hay think what you want.

Don

As far as the Pinto and Vega go, you can add the Chevy Monza to the list. What a POS that thing was. Made me start buying Fords LOL. Lets not talk about the great Dodge Colt/Omni LMAO
2015 Ram 1500 Laramie Crew Cab SWB 4X4 Ecodiesel GDE Tune.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
The only thing bad I have to say about the Ram HD's is that all of their automatics transmission (even the Aisin) are horrible in regards to being in the right gear at the right time compared to the Allison. I have not driven a stock L5P yet, but I have driven plenty stock LML's with the Allison and the shifting is almost telepathic compared to stock Ram transmissions. There is no need to manually upshift or downshift and is comparable to my custom tuned 68RFE in my Ram 2500.

The downside to the Dmax is that it does not feel as strong at lower revs compared to the Cummins. Being a long stroke engine, the Cummins has more naturally aspirated torque below 1,600 rpm and you have to to give the Dmax a little more rpm and boost to feel the same torque.

EDIT: Oh, and the Cummins could use a little more power, but that would require it to have a CP4 pump with more pressure and piezo injectors to meet emissions with that added power. I would rather have a reliable CP3 pump and electronic solenoid injectors while adding power afterwards. That is just me.

I agree partially. Normal driving my 6.4 4.10's is a blast to drive. Never seems in the wrong gear and shifts super smooth.
Towing kinda blows. But just 1st to 2nd mostly. Once in 4th to 5th it works fine-ish. I find running in 4th at 50-60mph in the mtns keeps everything civil. 3rd gear for steeper climbs.
An 8sp would be the bomb IMO.

Vintage465
Nomad
Nomad
I think everyone should buy that pickup that fits their fancy. Kind of like one size fits all, but it's actually is "all trucks fit", but everyone has one thing that is their "reason" and it outweighs someone else's "reason". For me....it's the Allison. For others it's the inline 6 Cummins. Others, Ford...because they're Ford People. I'm happy with mine. Be happy with yours. Give new buyers your opinion..........because they are asking......right? If someone disagrees with your opinion.........big deal, not the end of the world. Put on your big boy pants fellas.
V-465
2013 GMC 2500HD Duramax Denali. 2015 CreekSide 20fq w/450 watts solar and 465 amp/hour of batteries. Retired and living the dream!

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
The only thing bad I have to say about the Ram HD's is that all of their automatics transmission (even the Aisin) are horrible in regards to being in the right gear at the right time compared to the Allison. I have not driven a stock L5P yet, but I have driven plenty stock LML's with the Allison and the shifting is almost telepathic compared to stock Ram transmissions. There is no need to manually upshift or downshift and is comparable to my custom tuned 68RFE in my Ram 2500.

The downside to the Dmax is that it does not feel as strong at lower revs compared to the Cummins. Being a long stroke engine, the Cummins has more naturally aspirated torque below 1,600 rpm and you have to to give the Dmax a little more rpm and boost to feel the same torque.

EDIT: Oh, and the Cummins could use a little more power, but that would require it to have a CP4 pump with more pressure and piezo injectors to meet emissions with that added power. I would rather have a reliable CP3 pump and electronic solenoid injectors while adding power afterwards. That is just me.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
colliehauler wrote:
SweetLou wrote:
goducks10 wrote:
Owned a used Pinto once 34 years ago. Junk. Won't buy another Ford.

HAHA best one yet
Or the same outdated analogy about the Chevy Vega. I don't think either were Ford or GM'S finest hour.

I test drove a Chevy Citation once. It was newish, maybe 1-2 years old at most. I couldn't get it to shift right. The shifter would hangup half the time.
My how times have changed.

riven1950
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking a 3/4 ton f250 now. Really a Ford guy but several folks said I could get a lot of truck for a lot less $$ with the 6.4 Ram. Haven't driven one but prices seem about same F250 xlt vs a similar equiped Ram or am I missing something. If there was a big price difference I would look harder but I don't see it.

colliehauler
Explorer II
Explorer II
SweetLou wrote:
goducks10 wrote:

HAHA best one yet
Or the same outdated analogy about the Chevy Vega. I don't think either were Ford or GM'S finest hour.

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
goducks10 wrote:

HAHA best one yet
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

SweetLou
Explorer
Explorer
boshog wrote:
Retired JSO wrote:

That is a bit short-sited, make a decision on some experience well over 50 years ago.

If you have yet to look at and drive the fourth and now fifth generations of the RAM, you are cheating yourself.

Pretty foolish thinking.
2013 3500 Cummins 6.7 Quadcab 4x4 3.73 68FE Trans, 2007 HitchHiker Discover America 329 RSB
We love our Westie

Cummins12V98
Explorer III
Explorer III
"The down side is the price has climbed to a very high level for all those advancements."

This is true, BUT there is no need for any aftermarket enhancements as were needed a few years ago! Mine tows a 33-35K combined load VERY WELL!
2015 RAM LongHorn 3500 Dually CrewCab 4X4 CUMMINS/AISIN RearAir 385HP/865TQ 4:10's
37,800# GCVWR "Towing Beast"

"HeavyWeight" B&W RVK3600

2016 MobileSuites 39TKSB3 highly "Elited" In the stable

2007.5 Mobile Suites 36 SB3 29,000# Combined SOLD

NJRVer
Explorer
Explorer
Retired JSO wrote:

Having had to work out of several different Dodge's in the '70's they were the biggest pieces of junk made.

They finally started to turn around in the '80's.

DakotaDad
Explorer
Explorer
Based on the '96 S-10 Blazer I owned for a while, I should never, ever, buy a Chevy again.

But when the time comes for a new truck, I'll shop all three brands again. Holding a grudge hurts my options far more than it helps them.
Jason, Angie, and our boys, Sean (13) and Liam (8)
Now with Radar and Daisy, both Boston Terriers. Missing Artemus the Labrador, gone on ahead.
2016 Ram 3500 CC Big Horn - 6.7 Cummins - B&W RVK3600 hitch
2015 Palomino Sabre 33RETS Platinum fifth wheel

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer