cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

BD exhaust brakes

jd_h
Explorer
Explorer
I have a BD exhaust brake on my 2004 LLY Cheve diesel. Been on since 2007.It is great. However, it does not seen to work as well as it used to.

Do this brakes ever need to be recalibtated? If so, do I need to go to a BD installer?

Thank you for your advice.

J.D.
6 REPLIES 6

jd_h
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. Quite helpful.
J.D.

Jim-Linda
Explorer II
Explorer II
Mine was installed in 1996 on a 3126 Cat in a FL60. The toggle on/off switch has never been "off". I did have to replace the solenoid about 7 years ago.

Jim

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Old-Biscuit wrote:
To extend the life of the exhaust brake, do not operate the vehicle for extended periods of time without activating the brake. On a twice-yearly interval, check and adjust the brake pressure to 10-15 lbs while the engine is at idle.

The hoses, wires, fittings and clamps should be inspected on a regular basis for any deterioration, damage, or leaks.

To prevent the butterfly from sticking due to carbon build up and increase the life of your exhaust brake it should be used frequently. This could simply be switching it on and off a couple times a day.

Technical Service Department at 1-800-887-5030 or 1-604-853-6096, between 8:30am and 4:30pm Pacific Time

X2!

I use mine daily, short commute, it aids in getting the engine up to temp.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
To extend the life of the exhaust brake, do not operate the vehicle for extended periods of time without activating the brake. On a twice-yearly interval, check and adjust the brake pressure to 10-15 lbs while the engine is at idle.

The hoses, wires, fittings and clamps should be inspected on a regular basis for any deterioration, damage, or leaks.

To prevent the butterfly from sticking due to carbon build up and increase the life of your exhaust brake it should be used frequently. This could simply be switching it on and off a couple times a day.

Technical Service Department at 1-800-887-5030 or 1-604-853-6096, between 8:30am and 4:30pm Pacific Time
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

ronfisherman
Have you ever lubricated it? Also the air cylinder could be going bad.
2004 Gulf Stream Endura 6340 D/A SOLD
2012 Chevy Captiva Toad SOLD

Moved from Forum Technical Support