cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bed rail clearance

rooney77
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed this weekend that at the back of the bed the gap between the bed rail and the underside of the wing is a lot smaller than at the front. Are the wings slanted like that or is something wrong?
1997 Minnie Winnie DL 29WU
9 REPLIES 9

MN_Ben
Explorer
Explorer
3 tons wrote:
rooney77 wrote:
I noticed this weekend that at the back of the bed the gap between the bed rail and the underside of the wing is a lot smaller than at the front. Are the wings slanted like that or is something wrong?

All is well, the 07' Dodge rail to bed depth at the rear is greater than that at the front causing this illusion...Took me awhile to get use to it too!

I will have to check this on my 2002 f250.
2006 F350 Dually PSD
2008 Keystone Laredo 29RL 5th Wheel

2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2004 Lance 1130 -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 -SOLD
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD
Ford FX4 Ranger -SOLD

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
rooney77 wrote:

All is well, the 07' Dodge rail to bed depth at the rear is greater than that at the front causing this illusion...Took me awhile to get use to it too!

kbaum
Explorer
Explorer
Just a couple more possibilities.

I noticed that you have the happy jack tie down system, you may want to check to see if your camper front bumper protection is hanging up on top of your front happy jack mounts. If that is the case when you get close to the front pickup bed lowering your camper jacks and the bumpers under the front happy jack bar, you may be hanging up on the bar. Instead of the bumpers previously mentioned, you may be using a 2X4 spacer up front, it could be falling down or your bed mat is pulling forward.

Of course, your camper could be tapered by design as already mentioned.
2013 Northern Lite 10 cdse
2012 Dodge 3500 SRW 4x4 Cummins Crew Cab

Newmar Dutch Star 4018 (home)

rooney77
Explorer
Explorer
I never would have noticed that. Ok, well that's good news at least.

larrybluhm
Explorer
Explorer
Dodge truck bed rails have a taper and are not parallel to the bed floor. I guess its a styling thing...
2011 Northstar LaredoSC, solar/'04 Dodge 2500, Cummins.

HarryBB
Explorer
Explorer
OMG - the back of your camper is probably collapsing....

Or the sides of your bed are higher in the back than in the front and were manufactured that way.

All kidding aside - I saw the same thing when I first got my new rig and it had me concerned until I read the forum and discovered the bed sides were not the same height front to back. There a number of old posts on the issue I think.
'03 F350 CC 6.0PSD DRW Firestone Bags Superhitch
2003 Lance 1121 Fully Loaded incl. Solar
'94 Grand Touring SkiDoo, '95 Touring SLE SkiDoo
16 ft Northwood Troller
Crestliner Serenity 1800

rooney77
Explorer
Explorer
When I get around to unloading the camper I'll measure the rails and see.

MN_Ben
Explorer
Explorer
I noticed the same with my Lance 1010 and my F250 longbox. I think there is a 3/4" or so gap in the front and zero gap on the rear. I always intend to pull out a tape measure but never have.
2006 F350 Dually PSD
2008 Keystone Laredo 29RL 5th Wheel

2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2004 Lance 1130 -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 -SOLD
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD
Ford FX4 Ranger -SOLD

Raften
Explorer
Explorer
I imagine it is the truck bed, not the TC. Put a 2x4 across the rails and measure the front and back depth of the bed.
'01 Dodge 3500 CTD, Lance 1121, Air Bags, Rancho 9000, All Wheels Under Power When Needed, A Few Engine Mods For Increased HP

Burning Grease, 800 ft/lbs. of torque from something you throw away.