Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Bent equalizer bar saddles

Narc1370
Explorer
Explorer
My equalizer bars have not been equal lately, and I've noticed they have become
More and more uneven. This weekend, after getting to my campsite, I noticed the saddles were totally warped, one more than the other. The bolts were bent almost to a 45 degree angle. I can't figure out what would cause this? Any help or suggestions?
8 REPLIES 8

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
I am thinking that the OP does nor have an EQUALIZER hitch, but a regular WD hitch which many call an equalizer hitch... I can see where those saddle bolts can be bent.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

spoon059
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pictures?
2015 Ram CTD
2015 Jayco 29QBS

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
beemerphile1 wrote:
I'm curious what bolts are bent to a 45 degree angle. My brackets clamp onto the tongue and I can't imagine any way the bolts would be able to bend.

Got pictures?

My guess is the OP was referring to the saddle L brackets being bent. However, if the Link Bracket and the L-Bracket bolts came loose, it's possible those bolts could have bent under a stressful load. Like you, I can't see this actually happening, but... anything is possible I suppose.

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
I'm curious what bolts are bent to a 45 degree angle. My brackets clamp onto the tongue and I can't imagine any way the bolts would be able to bend.

Got pictures?
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Here is the older Equal-i-zer parts breakdown.

Here is the newer Equal-i-zer parts breakdown.

2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
Narc1370 wrote:
My equalizer bars have not been equal lately, and I've noticed they have become more and more uneven. This weekend, after getting to my campsite, I noticed the saddles were totally warped, one more than the other. The bolts were bent almost to a 45 degree angle. I can't figure out what would cause this? Any help or suggestions?

Unfortunately you haven't provided any specific details about your particular version of Equal-i-zer nor how old it may be. That's important because Progress changed the design of the frame saddle bracket assembly (specifically the outside link plate) several years ago because of the problem you're describing. The original L-bracket was part #90-02-5100, the redesigned L-bracket is part #90-02-5150, with the outer link plates also having different numbers. If yours is the original it wouldn't be surprising that it bent ... post a pic so we can first identify just which version you have. Otherwise, call Progress Mfg, provide the serial number of your Equal-i-zer, describe the problem and they're sure to have a solution for you.
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
It's possible your hitch head has tilted. There is a set screw under the ball. If that set screw has moved (loosened up), it will make the hitch ball tile, which will throw the angle of the bars off, which could cause excessive stress, bending them. It is recommended to check the angle of the ball and to ensure that set screw is tightened every now and then.

This is the only thing that comes to mind immediately.

AmericalVette
Explorer
Explorer
Have you had to back up into some tight spaces to the point of almost "jack-knifed"? - That can put some real pressure on them.
Times fun when you're having flies!