cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best future tow vehicle

VentureVan
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2015 K-Z Sportsmen 14RB that has a gvw of 2800 lbs. We are towing it with a 2004 Venture van right now that is okay in the Florida flatlands. In about 18 months we may make a long trip to the Michigan UP. My question is what would be a good TV other than a pickup truck in the 2004 to 2008 model year range? Is a V8 a necessity or would a straight six like in the Trailblazer be good for mountains etc.? I also use the vehicle for a paper delivery route once a month so gas mileage is important to me. It is just me and the wife camping with two small dogs. Thanks
14 REPLIES 14

jfkmk
Explorer
Explorer
Op said "other than a pickup truck". I'm in the same boat. Yeah, they tow better but overall a SUV is a much better all around vehicle for me. We have a similar sized trailer (17' though) we tow with an inline 6 cylinder envoy. Is it the best tow vehicle? Maybe not. But we've towed that little trailer all over the place and never had a problem. It has plenty of hp and torque. I get 12.5 mph towing and 20 mph not towing on the highway at 75 mph. I'll live with that.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
I tow a similar trailer with a Tacoma v6 -- great mileage when not towing. On the LA freeways, I often get 22.5 mpg. But for a paper route, with a lot of stop and go, 16 mpg is more likely.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

poppin_fresh
Explorer
Explorer
rexlion wrote:
... A Chevy Traverse should perform similarly, too.

I second that.

My Traverse was towing about 700lbs more than your trailer did fine even in the hills here in New England. Mine had about 1500lbs of available payload which would give you plenty of overhead for tongue weight and supplies.
2016 Bullet 274BHS
2015 Silverado 1500 Double Cab
Andersen WDH

tragusa3
Explorer
Explorer
My first trailer was about that weight. I towed it with a 4.8 liter V8 half ton. It did okay, but I always wished for a more "relaxed" tow. I wouldn't be comfortable with a NA 6 cyl. For that trailer.
New to us 2011 Tiffin Allegro Open Road 34TGA
Join us on the road at Rolling Ragu on YouTube!

tshirtman
Explorer
Explorer
Skip right to the Ram 2500. That way you don't need to upgrade when you get a larger trailer.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
I towed a KZ Escape 14RB for 4 summers with my 2008 Toyota Highlander. 5000 lb tow rating. 270 HP/ 240 tq versus your Venture's 185/210. It had plenty of power for 60-62 mph towing everywhere but in the Rockies, where a long grade at high altitude (which cuts HP due to thinner air) made it struggle some. A Chevy Traverse should perform similarly, too.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

ryanw821
Explorer
Explorer
The 2007/08 Jeep Grand Cherokees are available with a Mercedes diesel in them, same V6 diesel motor the Mercedes ML's that Westend suggested above have, should cost a bit less than the actual Mercedes SUVs, while still a pretty nice/fancy ride. If I recall they are rated to tow something along the lines of 7500lbs, and have a decent carrying capacity too (around 1300lbs), should pull a trailer like yours with ease, and get you decent mileage doing so, I hear they get about 25mpg hwy empty, and I would bet about 15mpg towing a trailer like yours.

Our Jeep Liberty has a VM-Motori motor, which while reliable, is hard to get parts for locally, most have to be ordered, and then finding a shop who knows how to work on it is a bit of a pain, thus our main reason for upgrading. The Mercedes has a bigger presence here in the USA, that motor is used in all the Sprinter vans/RVs and Merc's passenger vehicles, so parts and skilled shops are a lot easier to find.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
Suburban would make a nice tow vehicle and if you want to upgrade trailers you will already have a decent tow vehicle.

Add to the fact there are lots of them around and get decent mileage.

Another positive is the comfort factor on a long trip.

You could keep the van to deliver out of and use burb for towing.

Another six cylinder from that era will be about the same as what you have.

boogie_4wheel
Explorer
Explorer
VentureVan wrote:
Is a V8 a necessity or would a straight six like in the Trailblazer be good

How about the TrailBlazer with the V8 'hint hint'
2005 2500 Cummins/48RE/3.73, QCLB, 4wd, BigHorn, Edge Juice w/ CTS + Turbo Timer,Transgo Shift Kit ISSPro Oil and LP pressure gauges, GDP 20/2 filters, Custom Diesel Steering Box Brace
'10 Forest River Shockwave Toy Hauler 21'
Honda EU3000I Genny

APT
Explorer
Explorer
You already have a V6 now. Any other naturally aspirated V6 will perform about the same until you get to a lot more transmission gears. In that era, Hemi Durango is my recommendation. Can you stretch to a Flex Ecoboost?
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Best...? Probably, for that weight towable. MB ML250 diesel. if not the 250, then the 300. The VW Touareg could also be in the running for "best".
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

ryanw821
Explorer
Explorer
Our 4cyl diesel Jeep Liberty pulled a very similar sized trailer through the black hills just fine, plenty of power and control. She got a bit warm going up a few sustained grades, had to back off the throttle a bit, but we were still easily overtaking semis, some of them were going quite slow by the top.

We recently upgraded tow vehicles to a Duramax Chevy 2500HD, but not for lack of power or control, we just want something easier to service, and we do have future plans for a larger camper, which the Jeep just would not accommodate.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Plenty of 6 cyl. vehicles out there that can easily tow 3500 to 5000 pounds. Good luck!

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
At that weight a Tahoe, Durango, TrailBlazer, Explorer or other mid-sized SUV would do fine.