cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Best make/model for full time living???

Mcconnelllife
Explorer
Explorer
My husband and I have decided to live full time in an RV for a while. We live in Florida and will not be doing too much traveling (at least right now). I was looking at Colemanโ€™s and then someone told me it was the โ€œWalmartโ€ brand on RVs. We want something affordable (around $20,000) but sturdy. Something that has a decent warranty and high ceilings (my husband is 6โ€™3โ€).

Please point me to pros and cons of your TT or warning of ones you have owned in the past. Thank you so much! You are much appreciated for your feedback!
13 REPLIES 13

2012Coleman
Explorer II
Explorer II
deltabravo wrote:
Mcconnelllife wrote:
I was looking at Colemanโ€™s and then someone told me it was the โ€œWalmartโ€ brand on RVs.

They are right.
I concur. My namesake travel trailer was OK but no way would I consider full timing in it. If nothing else, it never stopped smelling like formaldehyde inside. Cheap fabric that wore out fast, stuff that was stapled together coning apart, the list goes on.

Very happy with my new camper - a Grand Design Reflection 303RLS fifth wheel. Check out their line of travel trailers - Reflection, and Imagine. They are built and certified for full time living, meaning the manufacturer won't void your warranty for doing so.

Good luck!
Experience without good judgment is worthless; good judgment without experience is still good judgment!

2018 RAM 3500 Big Horn CTD
2018 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS

jarata1
Explorer
Explorer
20,000 you are looking at used to get a decent one that's an entry level price for new

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
You are going to be spending a lot of time inside this camper (whatever you get). So get something you are completely comfortable with.

One thing that happens with any camper (of any size) is how fast they get cluttered up and then everything feels horribly claustrophobic. It will drive you nuts in a short while.

You can (and will) adapt to any size, style, or type of RV you get. But to be successful (and happy) your entire lifestyle and way of doing things has to change too, that is far different than living in a house or even an apartment.

Because of the shear size reduction, you can't bring it all with you. Extra stuff will either be sold off, given away, or put in permanent storage somewhere. You will down size EVERYTHING! Clothing to the amount of food you have available. Rotating Summer to Winter clothing may be a bit daunting when you don't have extra closet space any more. Stocking up on 6 different flavors of Ice Cream, keeping a week's supply of frozen meats, and a gallon of white and a gallon of chocolate mile, along with a variety of soft drinks and "adult beverages" in the refrigerator ... well ... it just won't happen.

You'll learn very quick to have less on hand, throw more away, shop more often, fix only what you can eat at that meal, no leftovers, and get everything for only a couple days in advance in the refrigerator.

You'll have to down-size the time you take showers, as a 6 gallon water heater will provide hot water for only about 7 minutes and then it has to heat up again. You'll have to down-size how much water you use, as your holding tanks will hold only so much water. If you are at a full hook-up site, this won't be so critical, but still you constantly have to monitor your water usage and the amount going into your tanks. Black water (toilet) tank needs to be filled before dumping it. Unlike a house where you flush every time and forge it. If you open the drain on your black tank, the tank will soon become a solid clogged mess. You are constantly aware of your water usage, your tanks, and hot water output.

Pots, pans, dishes, all are downsized. You'll need to learn to prepare a lot of meals in 2 pots, maybe an electric skillet for everything. You simply will not have space to bring along your current kitchen stock.

Practice now downsizing. Practice taking Navy showers and adapt the lifestyle now. Practice fixing your entire meal in a single, or at best, 2 pots or pans. Practice now, using only 4 plates, 4 spoons, 4 forks, a small assortment of cooking utinsils, and of course, no automatic dishwashers, and washing everything immediately after eating. Otherwise, dirty dishes become clutter, clutter, clutter very fast! And counter space is extremely limited in an RV... so...

So, pick what's most important: blenders, toasters, table top toaster-ovens, Drip coffee makers or Krueg? You won't have counter space for any of these, they have to stored somewhere. So, figure it out NOW what you actually use and get rid of the rest.

Your entire wold will be down-sized. Absolutely everything.

If you have a large enough living room, remove everything from the living room and tape off the floor with a box, 30 feet long, 8 feet wide. Put your bed inside that box, the television, and all your clothes, dishes, food, everything, and see how cramped and tight it gets .... very fast.

This is probably going to be your hardest adjustment, and what you really need to consider in your choice of RV for full timing.

When you really put this into perspective, it changes everything when you start serious looking. And if you've never experienced the RV lifestyle, you will be in for some pleasant shocks and surprises. That's why you really should practice the down-sizing now!

Yes... 6 gallons of hot water! Think about it!

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
300 SQFT vs 700SQFT is a big difference.
I did not know anyone was again building small RVs on Toyota chassis? You really need to think this through. In a 200SQFT RV where are you going to put your clothes? Where are you going to sleep? How easy is it to make the bed? I just sold my 36 foot fifth wheel to a young man that started with a 27 foot fiver and realized too late that that was too small. No closet, cramped kitchen, lousy shower all will make for a miserable experience. Size and comfort are way more important than cheap price. For your 20K budget think older, forget motor homes, and start looking at older used fifth wheels, or again park models. Your not going to be moving it for several years, so why waste your money on a drive train that will sit and self destruct just sitting there. Park models will give you better insulation, more home features, way more space that you will get in any RV. Sell it when you decide exactly what you want to do and move on. Heck 6 months from now in the dead of winter you may decide apartment living is not so bad afterall.

Dick_B
Explorer
Explorer
I think the consensus is that 5ers or Class A's are the best choice for full-time living. You might review the posts on the Full-time section for confirmation. One of the two is better for staying in one place but I can't remember which one.
Dick_B
2003 SunnyBrook 27FKS
2011 3/4 T Chevrolet Suburban
Equal-i-zer Hitch
One wife, two electric bikes (both Currie Tech Path+ models)

Mcconnelllife
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you everyone. We looked at the Reveres and they looked really nice for a little over $20,000 just concerned with how much usage I am really going to get out of it I am not very familiar with RV make and models. I am basically looking to the Toyota brand of an RV. Affordable but also reliable. But thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it.

A little more info: we are looking to get around 30ft with slides. We looked at used ones but hey all smelled funny and concerned if owners really took care of them so we were looking at newer 2018 models.

We also are trying to not go into an apartment thinking this is the cheaper route. A one bedroom in our area runs about $1300 after electric and water and rather spend that money on something that is actually ours. If we donโ€™t kill each other after a year of RV living, we would like to buy land in SC, move our RV up there and build our home.

I may be open to spending a little more for more reliability.

Mcconnelllife
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you. We looked at the Reveres and they looked really nice for a little over $20,000 just concerned with how much usage I am really going to get out of it I am not very familiar with RV make and models. I am basically looking to the Toyota brand of an RV. Affordable but also reliable. But thank you for your feedback. I appreciate it.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
What is your tow vehicle?
Are you open to used?
How big do you think you need?

Too little info to tell what is best.

If you aren't going to move, an apartment will be cheaper and more spacious.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
If you're not moving around then pick what you like. Most problems result from being drug down the road.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Mcconnelllife wrote:
My husband and I have decided to live full time in an RV for a while.

Please point me to pros and cons of your TT or warning of ones you have owned in the past. Thank you so much! You are much appreciated for your feedback!

Northwood (Arctic Fox / Nash) or Outdoors RV are my recommendations.

Both are built a long ways away though )LaGrande, OR) and east coast dealers are scarce.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
Mcconnelllife wrote:
I was looking at Colemanโ€™s and then someone told me it was the โ€œWalmartโ€ brand on RVs.

They are right.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
If your not moving around, look at a park model. You should be able to find lots of them used in your price range

kerrlakeRoo
Explorer
Explorer
At $20,000 for a new unit, large enough to have a 6'3" person be comfortable, you will have a hard time finding a quality unit. There are entry level units that would be possible, prowler lynx 25 comes to mind, but this is a basic unit, aluminum sided, open underbelly. It would not fare well in sub freezing weather, and would likely be marginal in florida heat with the standard 13.5 AC unit.
If you are handy you could use it for a couple of years, but with any brand in this range look closely for the signs of a little better quality. They are the same as furniture and fixtures in a home. Particle board cabinets with pressed paper , wood look finishes are cheapest, wood doors on plywood is better, and all hardwoods are better still. Cheaper windows will be single glass and lose a lot of heat and AC.
Go look at some, for warranties, most offer 1 year, a few offer two (Jayco, K-Z) Understand warranty servicing is spotty, its not like a car that any dealer can or will take you, and waits can be weeks for service.
Good luck in your hunt.