cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Best way to store a truck camper

glc52
Explorer
Explorer
I recently purchased a used 2011 Wolf Creek truck camper, but won't be using it much until this summer. I am new to the RV world, so not sure how I should store it when it's not on my 2006 Ram 3500 short box megacab. I only have 12' on the side of my house with a slight incline that leans toward my neighbor's house to work with or in my neighborhood many people park their boats and RV's in the driveway. I am thinking of just parking it on half of my 2 car driveway, which has a slight downhill slope to it. The guy I bought the TC from indicated that he thought it was a good idea to put the trailer on heavy duty saw horses to protect the electric jacks. It came with a nice breathable cover that is supposed to be good in this Pacific Northwest climate, so I was planning on putting that on it. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

Gerald
34 REPLIES 34

dadwolf2
Explorer
Explorer
My main element to protect from is the sun. I have a shade sail system that is high enough for me to drive under with the camper on the truck. Camper is next to the house, behind a gate to protect my million dollar investment!! :B Or should I say, not being in an HOA is priceless?

Obviously the best system if you have the space is indoor storage.
2005 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD,4X4,NV5600
2014 Adventurer 86FB

finaddict
Explorer
Explorer
Costco tarp shed (12 x 20) and then raised up 5 feet on 3" PVC piping. Sides and back of shed stay on, front is removed. Here in rainy coastal BC, snow load is not usually much of a worry, so it stays up all year. Dry, and protected from the UV, my last camper's life was extended by several years and my 2001 Alpenlite looks like new

TheHardWay9
Explorer
Explorer
Gotchya. So if you don't back under the camper just right, its a way to make it right. I'd be worried about messing up the bed of my truck doing that though!
'13 Camp Lite 10.0
'07 SRW Ram 3500 5.9 EFI Live tuned Cummins, 6" on 37s, PacBrake EB and bags

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
Meaning, he powered the jacks individually or two at a time to adjust the position of the camper from one side to the other in the bed. It was odd to watch, but he definitely had skill at doing it because he scooted it around inside the truck bed like it was nothing until it was right where he wanted it. He claimed to do it all the time when in a tight spot.
2014 Northwood Wolf Creek 850
2005 Ford F350 SRW SuperCab/LongBed 6.0 Powerstroke
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Torklift Tie Downs/Fastguns/Upper/Lower Stableloads
Rancho 9000's

TheHardWay9
Explorer
Explorer
Could you elaborate on what you mean by walking the camper around with the jacks? Sorry if that is a dumb question, but I don't quite follow what you mean by this.
'13 Camp Lite 10.0

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
TheHardWay9 wrote:

Caveat: Maybe supporting an aluminum framed camper isn't as important as supporting a wood framed camper due to the increased rigidity of the aluminum.

I know this...the guy that loaded my camper onto the truck used the jacks to "walk" the camper around in order to line it up. It made the most horrible torquing and twisting sounds as he did it. My wife and I looked at each other in shock. He saw the look on our faces and said, it's alright. Still, I wasn't convinced. He further said that "You can even replace one jack with only the other 3 supporting it".

I've since confirmed THAT part with other NW owners. But apparently, not something you want to do on a regular basis. So...I figure, if an aluminum framed camper can do that, why can't it just sit pretty supported by the jacks alone?

Either way, I guess I'm building a dolly now. This forum tends to make me paranoid.
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Rancho 9000's

TheHardWay9
Explorer
Explorer
joeshmoe wrote:
Okay, I'm gonna ask a stupid question....

What's wrong with parking it in the driveway, lowered with only the jacks supporting it? That's how mine is sitting and that's how i see dealers store them. Some campers seem to be on lots for months and even years on end

This.
I went as far as contacting the manufacturer (CampLite) of my TC to ask about storage on the jacks. They said there is no problem with doing this. They said lower it as much as possible, try to keep it on a level surface, and I'll be just fine.

Caveat: Maybe supporting an aluminum framed camper isn't as important as supporting a wood framed camper due to the increased rigidity of the aluminum. I can how long storage on the jacks could add stress points to the wood frame where the jacks are attached. However, I feel that today's campers are much more advanced than the TCs of the 80s, and are designed to stand up to the rigors of storage.

With that said, I have opted to store my camper in my shop supported on jack stands at each corner and 4x4 posts running side to side for the added stability. The camper doesn't move around nearly as much when we are walking in and out of it cleaning, packing, etc.
'13 Camp Lite 10.0

-Kevin
Explorer
Explorer
I store mine inside a 16,000 sq/ft warehouse wit 24' ceilings. plenty of space...
2008 Dodge Ram 3500 QC DRW auto
2008 AF 990
FS bags
Viair OBA
Rancho 9000XL's

joeshmoe
Explorer
Explorer
Here ya go. Nothing that hasn't already been suggested, but still worth reading:

Storing truck camper
QuickTrick's Towing Tune
Rancho 9000's

Desertboy
Explorer
Explorer
I appreciate the knowledgeable response.
1969 AVION
3/4 12 VALVE

Freightliner/24' Flatbed 50,000 miles/ Titan 4000 receiver Hitch, no Mods needed.

AKSuperDually
Explorer
Explorer
Desertboy wrote:
I store both of mine inside one of my barns. I have wooden spools that cable came on, laying on their side, they are the perfect height to slide under the basement one in the front and one in the back. Then to keep the dust off them I draped a light thin tarp over them because birds like to come in the barns. It also seems to keep the wasps and dirt dobbers away from my refrigerator vent cap. So what's wrong with a tarp as long as there is no condensation underneath? Just curious.
Two problems with tarps...they trap moisture (don't breath), and they rub/chaff on the camper due to flapping in the wind. Neither of those would be a problem in your barn.

I wish I had a barn to store mine in!
2000 Ford F350 DRW 4x4 7.3L
2003 Arctic Fox 1150

glc52
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks everyone for taking the time to weigh in on my Truck Camper storage question! I think I will call or email Northwoods to see if they have any specific suggestions for support and where on the TC is the best placement.
Deltabravo, which three points on the TC do you suggest for placing the supports?

Gerald

Desertboy
Explorer
Explorer
I store both of mine inside one of my barns. I have wooden spools that cable came on, laying on their side, they are the perfect height to slide under the basement one in the front and one in the back. Then to keep the dust off them I draped a light thin tarp over them because birds like to come in the barns. It also seems to keep the wasps and dirt dobbers away from my refrigerator vent cap. So what's wrong with a tarp as long as there is no condensation underneath? Just curious.
1969 AVION
3/4 12 VALVE

Freightliner/24' Flatbed 50,000 miles/ Titan 4000 receiver Hitch, no Mods needed.

AKSuperDually
Explorer
Explorer
I'd pay $100 a month in a second. $200 for heated and enclosed. I can't build and heat a building big enough for my camper for near $200 even in 30 years of payments.

Cinderblock advice about the holes being vertical is good advice as they are designed for maximum strength when placed that direction, but there are load ratings for the blocks both ways....and generally, when split 6 ways...plus 4 jacks...you won't come close to the limit of a cinder block, no matter which way you put them.

As far as your advice about not parking in your driveway due to the way it looks...and your neighbors....I couldn't care less. My property, my right to store what I want. Of course, I don't get along well with HOA's...in fact, I'd never consider buying a place with one. I also could never live in a subdivision with houses so close together. I can't stand other people telling me what to do with my property.

I think most truck campers are people who are independent. We get truck campers because we enjoy doing things outside the campground....not surrounded by the masses.
2000 Ford F350 DRW 4x4 7.3L
2003 Arctic Fox 1150