cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Better ride when not towing?

Gator398
Explorer
Explorer
Is it possible, to make a dually truck not shake like an earthquake on expansion joint roads when the trailer is off???!!

I have read about the kelderman 4 link or whatever, is that our only option?
2021 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BRDS
2011 Ram 3500 DRW Laramie Longhorn 6.7L
48 REPLIES 48

ls1mike
Explorer II
Explorer II
I have a 17 3500HD, upgraded from an 02 2500HD. I can tell you right out the gate the 17 rode much nicer than the 02. I then put Bilstein's on the 2017 and it made it better.
Like someone said earlier I am not a truck so I don't daily drive it. I have a Caprice PPV or Trans Am that I drive, but the Bilstein's made it ride nicer than the Trans Am. So might be something you can look at if you are daily driving it.
Mike
2024 Chevy 2500HD 6.6 gas/Allison
2012 Passport 3220 BHWE
Me, the Wife, two little ones and two dogs.

noteven
Explorer III
Explorer III
A nice profile for truck tires is 10% difference from the rim to the ground vs rim to tire diameter at the unloaded portion of the tire. This allows the tire to do its job as part of the suspension.

A water bladder laying in the bed is adjustable unless the Climate Crisis causes it to freeze...

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
way2roll wrote:
Not to hijack the OP's thread, but in the same line of thinking - should I adjust my tires on my SRW truck when not towing? 80PSi rides like a dream with the FW hooked up but bounces around quite a bit when empty.

My F250 came with only 50 PSI in the tires and definitely got bouncier when I aired them up. However, I had a different vehicle to drive when I wasn't hauling something heavy so I never bother to adjust the pressure for unloaded. However, after putting on the new shocks I did wish that I had that years earlier. I guess that it is possible that Ford is putting better shocks on at the factory now so I won't promise anyone the same improvement with their truck.

This is a controversial statement here but 5K airbags on my F150 destroyed the ride even empty. I had to remove them. If you have added airbags that is something else to consider.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
way2roll wrote:
Not to hijack the OP's thread, but in the same line of thinking - should I adjust my tires on my SRW truck when not towing? 80PSi rides like a dream with the FW hooked up but bounces around quite a bit when empty.

I should have answered OPs question earlier, instead of off topic, but same answer here too. Yes, lower the psi when not towing. A DRW starts out with less when loaded, and can go lower than SRW, when unloaded due to 4 rear tires vrs 2. On my truck, F250, door sticker psi 75 front 80 rear, but when not towing I run 65 psi in rear. It makes a huge difference in ride quality.

My 250 actually has, was ordered with, 350 suspension.

Jerry

camp-n-family
Explorer
Explorer
Tvov wrote:
MT BOB wrote:
Are you 12?

What does this question relate to?

He’s looking for a friend with the same mental capacity.
'17 Ram 2500 Crewcab Laramie CTD
'13 Keystone Bullet Premier 310BHPR
Hitched by Hensley

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

Wadcutter
Nomad
Nomad
To answer the OP's question:
www.sulastic.com/Sulastic-1
They really do make a world of difference when the truck is empty.
Camped in every state

way2roll
Navigator
Navigator
MFL wrote:
wildtoad wrote:
Tvov wrote:
MT BOB wrote:
Are you 12?

MTBOB joined yesterday. I’ve read two of his posts and each one seems to be demeaning to the OP.

A new member with this attitude?? Not good!!! A member of several years, with bad attitude, rude, etc, okay!! Just to name a few.......

Oh never mind!;)

Guessing an old member that got booted off and came back under a different ID.

Jeff - 2023 FR Sunseeker 2400B MBS

FlatBroke
Explorer II
Explorer II
My trucks 19 years old. Had stock shocks and Ranchos. Put Bilstein shocks on 3-4 ago, best ride ever loaded and unloaded.

Hitch Hiker
"08" 29.5 FKTG LS

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
wildtoad wrote:
Tvov wrote:
MT BOB wrote:
Are you 12?

MTBOB joined yesterday. I’ve read two of his posts and each one seems to be demeaning to the OP.

A new member with this attitude?? Not good!!! A member of several years, with bad attitude, rude, etc, okay!! Just to name a few.......

Oh never mind!;)

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
eHoefler wrote:
I reduce my rear tire pressure from 80 psi to 40 psi when I am not towing the fifthwheel

You do realize that you only need 65 psi in your rear tires on a DRW to get to max axle weight rating of 9,750#.
Even that 40' Landmark is not going to put at max rear axle rating. I have seen them run as low as 35 psi unloaded.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

wildtoad
Explorer II
Explorer II
Tvov wrote:
MT BOB wrote:
Are you 12?

Tom Wilds
Blythewood, SC
2016 Newmar Baystar Sport 3004
2015 Jeep Wrangler 2dr HT

eHoefler
Explorer II
Explorer II
I reduce my rear tire pressure from 80 psi to 40 psi when I am not towing the fifthwheel
2021 Ram Limited, 3500, Crew Cab, 1075FTPD of Torque!, Max Tow, Long bed, 4 x 4, Dually,
2006 40' Landmark Mt. Rushmore

Tvov
Explorer
Explorer
MT BOB wrote:
Are you 12?

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
I got a very noticeable ride improvement on my F250 by switching to Rancho 9000 shocks, both empty and loaded. I like being able to adjust these shocks for the load. Others here like Bilstein shocks. I haven't tried them.