cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Big horsepower Ram gasser on way?

bucky
Explorer II
Explorer II
It won't be a tow vehicle but the 5th gen Ram family is reported to include a Rebel TRX with 707 HP instead of the 535 HP detuned version in the concept. Source is the Automotive News issue of April 16th. FCA declined comment.
The article also mentions that a Rebel TR with a 520 HP 7.0 is strongly rumored.
Puma 30RKSS
36 REPLIES 36

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
thomasmnile wrote:
Niche truck for adrenaline junkies with a fat wallet. Probably last as long in production as the Ram SRT 10...and sell about as many.

Grrr.....you d@mn kids...get off my porch! What with your loud music , long hair and fast cars......Makes my dentures rattle!
Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

dodge_guy
Explorer II
Explorer II
And my dad is stronger than your dad! who cares? They are offering a high HP pick up. The people that will be buying one wont care about mileage or what people think of a $100k pick up. Just that it will be BAD A$$!!!!
Wife Kim
Son Brandon 17yrs
Daughter Marissa 16yrs
Dog Bailey

12 Forest River Georgetown 350TS Hellwig sway bars, BlueOx TrueCenter stabilizer

13 Ford Explorer Roadmaster Stowmaster 5000, VIP Tow>
A bad day camping is
better than a good day at work!

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Bionic Man wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
ScottG wrote:
It would just be a toy with minimal towing capacity.

I think it would be a very fun truck, and I am not sure about your "minimal towing capacity" comment.

In the Tackhawk Grand Cherokee, the Hellcat is rated to tow 7200 pounds, which I think is as much as any other Grand Cherokee.

So, it certainly won't compete with a 2500, but I would wait until the ratings come out to see if it has significantly lower towing capacity than their other 1500 truck.

For what it will cost, 7K# doesn't impress me.

Really? It is a vehicle that will run 0 - 60 in around 3.5 seconds, maybe less. Likely will run the 1/4 mile in less than 12 seconds. 700 + HP. Can accommodate you and 4 of your friends, and tow likely more than 7000 pounds. Can be purchased with all of that and more without any aftermarket parts, and with full warranty. All at less than $100k. I can't think of anything that competes/compares with it at any price.

What would impress you?

Well since this is the tow vehicle forum, something that cost's north of 70K should be able to pull a bare minimum of 10K#. Super nice trucks can be had for far less that can pull well over twice that much so no, a toy truck with a light duty engine just doesn't do it for me.
And 0-60 times on a tow vehicle has no meaning either.
I have a SRT for that.

You have an SRT that would get absolutely smoked by this truck. Than can tow a 7000 pound travel trailer.

Have no idea what your point is.
It's still an overpriced SUV with a low tow rating and it costs nearly twice what my Challenger did.
Oh and my Challenger would destroy it in the corners and it's fast enough for me (and faster than 99% of other vehicles).

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
4x4ord wrote:
One of the issues with big power in a tow vehicle is designing a cooling system to keep up. Using 700 hp for 10 seconds to accelerate a car down the track or road is totally different than having 700 hp being generated for 10 minutes while pulling a huge trailer up a steep incline at 60 mph. The cooling system has to do about as much work as the rear wheels. In order to actually use 700 hp towing would require a larger cooling system than a Peterbilt.

Someone gets it! Everybody loves to talk about big HP but when it comes to duty cycle or cooling everybody shuts up. :B

So you are saying that the Jeep (or this truck) tow rating of 7000 + pounds is meaningless? Sorry, but I would trust the rating that the manufacture gives it more than someone who thinks they are a mathematician on the internet.

And I will agree that this will likely never be a primary tow vehicle. But I could see someone (like me) combine a sports car and their winter driver to one Hellcat GC or RAM that could tow my boat.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)
2002 Gulf Stream Sea Hawk 29FRB with Honda EV6010

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
ScottG wrote:

I think it would be a very fun truck, and I am not sure about your "minimal towing capacity" comment.

In the Tackhawk Grand Cherokee, the Hellcat is rated to tow 7200 pounds, which I think is as much as any other Grand Cherokee.

So, it certainly won't compete with a 2500, but I would wait until the ratings come out to see if it has significantly lower towing capacity than their other 1500 truck.

Really? It is a vehicle that will run 0 - 60 in around 3.5 seconds, maybe less. Likely will run the 1/4 mile in less than 12 seconds. 700 + HP. Can accommodate you and 4 of your friends, and tow likely more than 7000 pounds. Can be purchased with all of that and more without any aftermarket parts, and with full warranty. All at less than $100k. I can't think of anything that competes/compares with it at any price.

What would impress you?

Well since this is the tow vehicle forum, something that cost's north of 70K should be able to pull a bare minimum of 10K#. Super nice trucks can be had for far less that can pull well over twice that much so no, a toy truck with a light duty engine just doesn't do it for me.
I have a SRT for that.

You have an SRT that would get absolutely smoked by this truck. Than can tow a 7000 pound travel trailer.
2012 RAM 3500 Laramie Longhorn DRW CC 4x4 Max Tow, Cummins HO, 60 gallon RDS aux fuel tank, Reese 18k Elite hitch
2003 Dodge Ram 3500 QC SB 4x4 Cummins HO NV5600 with Smarty JR, Jacobs EB (sold)

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
4x4ord wrote:
One of the issues with big power in a tow vehicle is designing a cooling system to keep up. Using 700 hp for 10 seconds to accelerate a car down the track or road is totally different than having 700 hp being generated for 10 minutes while pulling a huge trailer up a steep incline at 60 mph. The cooling system has to do about as much work as the rear wheels. In order to actually use 700 hp towing would require a larger cooling system than a Peterbilt.

Someone gets it! Everybody loves to talk about big HP but when it comes to duty cycle or cooling everybody shuts up. :B
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

thomasmnile
Explorer
Explorer
Niche truck for adrenaline junkies with a fat wallet. Probably last as long in production as the Ram SRT 10...and sell about as many.

larry_barnhart
Explorer
Explorer
Makes driving less safe because of reckless drivers. Not a fan here.

chevman
chevman
2019 rockwood 34 ft fifth wheel sold
2005 3500 2wd duramax CC dually
prodigy

KSH 55 inbed fuel tank

scanguage II
TD-EOC
Induction Overhaul Kit
TST tire monitors
FMCA # F479110

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Bionic Man wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
ScottG wrote:

What would impress you?

I have a SRT for that.

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
IdaD wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
ScottG wrote:

What would impress you?

There are a few SUVs swinging in that class but I think they'd cost more money. A Cayenne Turbo S is the primary one I'm thinking of but there are probably a few others from the in-house performance groups - AMG, M, etc.

Performance wise, the Cayenne Turbo S is somewhere between the Hellcat and SRT models (at least in the Grand Cherokee). And has a starting price of over $125,000. Before you add any options. Speaking from experience (I own a Porsche), the price skyrockets as soon as you check a few boxes.

Hellcats fully loaded are around $100,000 out the door. SRT fully loaded is around $20k less.

Call me crazy, but I don't think $100,000 is that expensive for a vehicle, especially with that performance.

Price out a new 3500 diesel. You go about $85,000 pretty quickly.

New cars are just very expensive. The value of the truck the OP mentioned seems good, and the performance is really second to none, regardless of price.

mich800
Explorer
Explorer
Grit dog wrote:
^ If the market will bear....
Around here Hellcats sell new for at or under sticker price and used are getting down to the under $50k range.
Still not quite in my wheelhouse for a Sunday driver. Waiting for oil to get over $100 again so there’s some deals to be had on gas guzzlers.

I am surprised a dealer could get a premium. It's not like they are hard to get anymore.

IdaD
Explorer
Explorer
Bionic Man wrote:
ScottG wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
ScottG wrote:

What would impress you?

There are a few SUVs swinging in that class but I think they'd cost more money. A Cayenne Turbo S is the primary one I'm thinking of but there are probably a few others from the in-house performance groups - AMG, M, etc.
2015 Cummins Ram 4wd CC/SB

Bionic_Man
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
Bionic Man wrote:
ScottG wrote:

What would impress you?

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^ If the market will bear....
Around here Hellcats sell new for at or under sticker price and used are getting down to the under $50k range.
Still not quite in my wheelhouse for a Sunday driver. Waiting for oil to get over $100 again so there’s some deals to be had on gas guzzlers.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

wilber1
Explorer
Explorer
I was looking at Hellcats at a SoCal dealer last month, it had a half dozen Chargers and one Challenger. The dealer was tacking on a $15,000 premium over the sticker price.
"Never trust a man who has not a single redeeming vice" WSC

2011 RAM 3500 SRW
2015 Grand Design Reflection 303RLS