cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black holding tank censors

ejd43
Explorer
Explorer
Does anyone out there have any tips to help my black tank censors read more accurate? I can empty it out totally and the gauge still reads that it's full. Its driving me nuts that I dont have an accurate read, and makes it difficult to gauge when it's full.
30 REPLIES 30

ejd43
Explorer
Explorer
Thank you all so much for the advice. I'm going to try dumping a few gallons of water in with some dawn soap to see how it reacts.

opnspaces
Navigator
Navigator
I do not use any chemicals, I do not add dish soap or water softening powders or follow the geo method. By and large my sensors usually work correctly. Once in a while one acts up, but it's not the norm. Make sure your tank is 3/4 full or more and use the 3 inch drain hose and let it drain. I do have an installed aftermarket tank sprayer. But after I've have to replace two sprayers and had three different times where the hose blew off and soaked the insulation of the underbelly; I would not recommend the aftermarket Camco tank sprayers.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

The_ugly_duckli
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
Your tank sensors mount to the inside of the tanks and clog, especially the black tank. The solution is to replace them with sensors that read from outside the tanks.

SeeLevel Tank Gauges

I replaced mine with the See Level Tank Sensors. They work beautifully and are fairly accurate. Fairly straight forward to install and you can leave your old none functioning sensors in place.

Cardinals
Explorer
Explorer
My vote is ignore them, we dump the black tank every four days and make sure it is cleared out and the start another four days. Buying the liquid to clean them is a waste of money

GrandpaKip
Explorer
Explorer
Our sensors have always worked reasonably well. Black tank flush, couple gallons of water, and a capful of laundry softener.
Kip
2015 Skyline Dart 214RB
2018 Silverado Double Cab 4x4
Andersen Hitch

jerryjay11
Explorer
Explorer
Been doing this with the last 3 RV's. Do this along with your regular tank chemicals after each dump.

The Recipe:
Dissolve two (2) cups of the water softener in a
gallon of hot water. Then, pour the solution down the
drain into the empty tank. Use two cups of softener
for each wastewater tank in your RV. The tank's
drain valve should be closed otherwise the softened
water will just drain out. Then use the tank(s)
normally until it is full and drain it normally. Add a
cup of laundry detergent to the black (commode)
water tank at the same time you add water softener.
This will help clean the tank. The gray water tanks
should already contain soap through normal use.

rockhillmanor
Explorer
Explorer
MFL wrote:
I always add water, about 3-4 gals down the stool after dumping, then traveling, to wash the sides by sloshing. My sensors have worked well in all my RVs.Jerry

X2 My sensors always work.

I do use chemicals all the time that break down waste and paper in my tank.

And after dumping I always also add water to tank.

My sink dumps into the black tank so after dumping all I do is run the water in the sink to fill bottom of black tank.

We must be willing to get rid of the life we've planned,
so as to have the life that is waiting for us.

Ava
Explorer
Explorer
I rinse mine with a wand that hooks up to a hose has a spinning head that goes through the toilet then in to black tank and flushes it out when needed. Cleans the tank and the sensors. It is available anywhere, Walmart, rv stores

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Black tank has a sensor you can't miss. When you flush and see water a inch from the flapper you know its time to dump! I am with those that don't use the sensors. The black tank for sure. In all my RV's it has become second nature to pretty much know where you at depending on how much fresh water you have left. The fresh water sensors have always worked well. No gunk in there. Black tank sensors have not worked well in any of my RV's.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Previous poster.

I donโ€™t know how I have been rving in every version of every RV ever made for 40 years and successfully ignored tank sensors.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

Lwiddis
Explorer
Explorer
โ€œIts driving me nuts that I dont have an accurate read, and makes it difficult to gauge when it's full.โ€œ

Why? Ease up! Inside the tank gauge works sometimes. The outside the tank works better. Gauge from the fresh water tank level and estimate.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

ktmrfs
Explorer
Explorer
1) ignore them
2) replace with horst miracle probes (better but not foolproof)
3) Install and external sensor system like the SeeLevel or similar. (Almost foolproof, to much buildup from bad habits can upset even these)
2011 Keystone Outback 295RE
2004 14' bikehauler with full living quarters
2015.5 Denali 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison
2004.5 Silverado 4x4 CC/SB Duramax/Allison passed on to our Son!

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Same as MFL here. Dump your tanks, add a few gallons of water. Add some Dawn Dishwashing Liquid or Laundry Detergent, travel to your next destination. If you do this every time you travel, sensors will work.

Do this in combination with your black tank flusher, backflushing from your grey tank, and even use the toilet wand on the end of a garden hose occasionally, all this will help keep your tank clean and sensors responding better.

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
I always add water, about 3-4 gals down the stool after dumping, then traveling, to wash the sides by sloshing. My sensors have worked well in all my RVs.

Jerry

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
Or better still, ignore them.

If you have hookups use lots of water and dump every three days.

Look down the toilet, too.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.