cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Black tank leaked. What to do?

COboondocker
Explorer
Explorer
So our black tank leaked on our last trip and cut it short. Planning on switching to a composting toilet so we just don't need to deal with the black tank at all any more but my question is do we need to replace the bottom of the camper? It's an Outfitter Juno 10 so the black tank was in the basement and the bottom is marine grade plywood. Everything dried out and doesn't have an odor any more but do we need to get it replaced? I'm assuming I'm not the first one this has happened to. 🙂
11 REPLIES 11

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III
COboondocker wrote:
valhalla360 wrote:
No rot no stink...it doesn't need to be replaced...unless you need to cut it out to remove the tank.

Unless you are trying to repurpose the space the tank sits in, you might just leave it if you were able to fully drain it.

We had a composter on our boat. For a full size RV (with functional tanks), I would not recommend it. For a truck camper with a small tank, it's a good option. Easier to deal with than a cassette, which we've used on rental RVs and the solids tank on ours could handle a month with 2 people using it. The big thing is the smell. Other than a slightly earthy garden smell when emptying, no smells. The urine can be disposed of in any toilet. The 2 gallon tank is easier to carry and pour than a cassette.

Thanks. Eventually I'd like to replace the black tank with a second fresh water tank but that can wait. Glad to hear your experience was overall positive. We don't have a dump site that is terribly convenient to our house, we frequently go winter camping and I hate dealing with the black tank during winter so I'm dead set on the composter. It literally cannot be any worse.

It might not compost in the winter as the process slows way down when cold but dump it in a compost bin at home in the spring and let it set for a few months. Even without it decomposing, you should have plenty of space for 2-3 months of weekending on the solids tank.

You do still need someplace to dump the urine but that's generally easier. We had a Natures Head and it needed to be dumped every couple days.
Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

COboondocker
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:
I’d give Outfitter a call. They should be able to give instructions on how to take the floor off. I’m assuming they are still in business.

New ownership apparently and sounds like the service is much better overall but I left a message last week and never heard back. I'll just have to keep trying.

COboondocker
Explorer
Explorer
valhalla360 wrote:
No rot no stink...it doesn't need to be replaced...unless you need to cut it out to remove the tank.

Unless you are trying to repurpose the space the tank sits in, you might just leave it if you were able to fully drain it.

We had a composter on our boat. For a full size RV (with functional tanks), I would not recommend it. For a truck camper with a small tank, it's a good option. Easier to deal with than a cassette, which we've used on rental RVs and the solids tank on ours could handle a month with 2 people using it. The big thing is the smell. Other than a slightly earthy garden smell when emptying, no smells. The urine can be disposed of in any toilet. The 2 gallon tank is easier to carry and pour than a cassette.

Thanks. Eventually I'd like to replace the black tank with a second fresh water tank but that can wait. Glad to hear your experience was overall positive. We don't have a dump site that is terribly convenient to our house, we frequently go winter camping and I hate dealing with the black tank during winter so I'm dead set on the composter. It literally cannot be any worse.

valhalla360
Nomad III
Nomad III

Tammy & Mike
Ford F250 V10
2021 Gray Wolf
Gemini Catamaran 34'
Full Time spliting time between boat and RV

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I’d give Outfitter a call. They should be able to give instructions on how to take the floor off. I’m assuming they are still in business.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
I am not all that familiar with composting toilets... but if you are changing the method of throne, perhaps consider a cassette toilet?

I really liked that type on my past campers.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

rexlion
Explorer
Explorer
If it's not rotted, no big deal. It shouldn't get worse unless you were to get it wet again for quite a while, and it sounds like you are eliminating (pun intended) that situation from happening.
Mike G.
Liberty is meaningless where the right to utter one's thoughts and opinions has ceased to exist. That, of all rights, is the dread of tyrants. --Frederick Douglass
photo: Yosemite Valley view from Taft Point

COboondocker
Explorer
Explorer
Bumpyroad wrote:
evidently not too much "stink" soaked into the marine grade plywood so I would think that a bunch of coats of KILZ might work. worked for my dining room floor where my cats (5) each claimed their territory.
bumpy

There's no stink, and no apparent damage so I'm not sure if I even need the kilz, do I? Anyone know how to drop the bottom out of an Outfitter?

Bumpyroad
Explorer
Explorer
evidently not too much "stink" soaked into the marine grade plywood so I would think that a bunch of coats of KILZ might work. worked for my dining room floor where my cats (5) each claimed their territory.
bumpy

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
If you are familiar with composting toilets, waste disposal and operation and are happy, then I see no reason not to proceed.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
I wouldn't replace it.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold