cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

black water clean out connection leaks

OldRacer
Explorer
Explorer
2016 Passport Ultralite 2770. Maiden voyage was this past weekend. Everything worked but 2 items.

1. Found out if you leave the bathroom door open, it blocks the intake vent for the furnace and apparently the furnace somehow overheats and when it shuts down, takes several hours to start back. Couldnt for the life of me figure out what was going on, thought maybe the tstat was messed up, but once we kept the bathroom door closed, unit worked perfectly the rest of the weekend.

2. And this one is what this thread is about.

Decided to dump and flush the blackwater tank there at the campground before we left since they had full hookups and i knew i wouldnt be holding anyone up while i flushed the tanks clean USING THE BUILT IN FLUSH SYSTEM. As per the picture attached, the hose comes from the outdoor fitting into the bathroom under the sink. It turns up and goes thru some sort of vent thingy (i have no idea what this is and this is the part that is leaking) then goes out and down to the black tank.

Just what the heck is this thing, (i'm assuming its some sort of vent altho i cant figure why it would be needed.) And surely its not supposed to be leaking out the TOP of it. The screw on fittings are tight, and the fittings themselves are not leaking. Its spraying out from under the top of the square plastic vent looking thing.

I'm tempted to just do away with this and install a 90 degree fitting there so it goes straight down to the black tank, but would like to know if its needed, and if its not supposed to be leaking (which its not), then i'll call the dealer i bought it from and get them to send me a new one.

32 REPLIES 32

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
If the water (fresh) is connected to the bottom in the illustration, then when the water pressure is removed and the plunger drops down, isn't the black tank now venting underneath the bathroom cabinet (or wherever it's mounted)? :E
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

Old-Biscuit
Explorer III
Explorer III
3oaks wrote:
I'm not sure why they don't just use a regular in-line check valve.................
That is just what my 2006 Sunline TT had. It was plumbed in the black tank flush line immediately following the flushing water inlet hose attachment.

The hose connection has an internal check valve just like the city water connection. Most ARE same as city water connection.

Then there is the 'anti-siphon vacuum breaker' (the one OP is asking about)

When water comes in thru bottom connection is pushes a plunger up and then the water goes out thru the side connection to nozzle in tank.

When water is turned off plunger drops down closing bottom connection and opening top of device to 'air' which then breaks any siphoning action from occurring.

Better (higher priced) devices also have a check valve in the side connection that closes so less chance of black tank stick coming back thru flusher system
Is it time for your medication or mine?

2007 DODGE 3500 QC SRW 5.9L CTD In-Bed 'quiet gen'
2007 HitchHiker II 32.5 UKTG 2000W Xantex Inverter
US NAVY------USS Decatur DDG31

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
I'm not sure why they don't just use a regular in-line check valve.................
That is just what my 2006 Sunline TT had. It was plumbed in the black tank flush line immediately following the flushing water inlet hose attachment.

hohenwald48
Explorer
Explorer
The ones the manufacturer installs are junk. You need to replace it with a better one. I think it has to be installed at the high point where the current one is installed. Not sure it will work properly if installed outside. Although it kind of works like a check valve, it is not a check valve. If you Google vacuum breaker you can find a lot of cut-away views.

I'm not sure why they don't just use a regular in-line check valve but I bet someone will tell us shortly.
When seconds count, the police are only minutes away.

2019 Newmar Canyon Star 3627
2017 Jeep Wrangler JKU

OldRacer
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Wow, this thread filled up fast.... OK, to find out if the line is kinked or not, as I suggested above, simply unscrew the line going into the floor and blow into it. If air flow is free, you're not kinked.

Going to give that a try tomorrow once i get home from work.

What i think i am going to do is remove that device from the INSIDE of the trailer, install a straight thru fitting, and install a new device on the outside. At least that way if it ever fails again, water wont go everywhere inside the trailer.

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Wow, this thread filled up fast.... OK, to find out if the line is kinked or not, as I suggested above, simply unscrew the line going into the floor and blow into it. If air flow is free, you're not kinked.

OldRacer
Explorer
Explorer
therink wrote:
I had found mine leaked brand new during my pre delivery inspection (pdi). The tech said it was loose and installed new band clamps. Has been fine since then. Common issue I guess.
yea, i thought that at first. The fittings and band clamps are fine. Not leaking from there. Its literally spraying up into that square piece then back down into the cabinet. Which leads me to believe the piece was cracked from the factory. Cheap plastic cr@p i guess.

OldRacer
Explorer
Explorer
http://www.amazon.com/San-T-Flush-Brass-Vacuum-Breaker-Assembly/dp/B00KH8M40E/ref=sr_1_1?s=hi&ie=UTF...

therink
Explorer
Explorer
I had found mine leaked brand new during my pre delivery inspection (pdi) when I tested it. The tech said it was loose and installed new band clamps. Has been fine since then. Common issue I guess.
Steve Rinker
Rochester, NY
2013 Keystone Sydney 340FBH 5th Wheel, 12,280 lbs loaded (scale)
2015.5 GMC Sierra Denali 3500, SRW, Duramax, CC, Payload 3,700 (sticker- not scaled yet)

Take my posts for what they are, opinions based on my own experiences.

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Here is a little better one.....

Click HERE

"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

OldRacer
Explorer
Explorer
can ya not post links here now?

OldRacer
Explorer
Explorer
dont use a lot of pressure? wth? standard water hose pressure should NOT be a problem, especially when you consider the entire purpose of this thing, which is to "pressure wash" all the TP and poop from the sides of the tank down to the bottom to be flushed out of the trailer.

I was hoping i wouldnt have to make the 2 hour drive back to the dealer we purchased this thing from, but if a hose is kinked between this device and the black tank, even tho i COULD go to the trouble to find it, i'll be damned if i'm gonna go to that much work to "see" if thats the problem or not.

What would i search say on amazon for a new one of these, maybe a better quality. I dont mind swapping a part first before i take it up there to them to see if thats the problem, but i'm not tearing about half the trailer to gain access to that hose that goes into the belly of the trailer.

edit: hilarious that the site censors a word like cr@p but not "damned".

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
To simplify Old-Biscuit's explanation, its a one way check valve to keep the black tank tank water from flowing backwards into the garden hose when you attach a garden hose.

They do sometimes crack and will leak. Yes, you can put a simple elbow on the line and be done with it. It's your camper and you can fix it any way you want. It's not like the State Board of Health is going to come in a write you up a citation if you remove it or anything!

I think, sooner or later, everyone has to swap them out.

When you get read to winterize, just unscrew the line that goes into the floor into the tank. Simply blow through the pipe until all the water is out and you can feel no more resistance or you can hear it in the tank. No need for an air compressor to blow this one out.

By the way, when I did this, I did not die from contamination! So, I think it would be very difficult for the black tank contents to come up that high up the line! Really!

WyoTraveler
Explorer
Explorer
It is required so you don't contaminate the RV park water system.

harley4275
Explorer
Explorer
I had a problem with my aeroater leaking also. Turns out the hose going into the black tank was kinked thus putting to much back pressure in line and waer went out top of aerator. Once hose was un-kinked, worked fine . Just do no use alot of pressure in hose.
2013 Sunset Trail 25RB TT
2015 Silverado 2500HD 4x4 6.0 l gasser.
Equilizer 4 pt
From Belle River, Ontario
2003 Mountain Star 890sbrx Truck Camper