cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black water tank cleaning

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
After a month on the road we are finally home for a bit, till the weather warms up.

We dumped our black and gray water tanks and I purchased a toilet wand to spray the black water tank.

I was wondering if it would be worth the effort to rinse out the black tank and add bleach, since it is most likely going to set for a few months.

I still have issues with the guage always showing 2/3 full, and thought splashing some bleach water around might help.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.
20 REPLIES 20

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
jmcgsd wrote:
I would never again purchase an RV without a SanTFlush installed. We had our first one on our last Lance TC. When we went looking for a TT it was on top of the list. They do a great job in keeping the black tank clean and sensors working. I believe they can be installed after market.

Yes they can. I got a kit when I got he previous HTT but then realised that access would be a PITA. Agree that this is a "must have" for those of us who believe that sensors could and should work properly. I know about waiting until the grey backs up and looking down the toilet hole approaches but I prefer not to do that unless it is a last resort. I also have had good results with Horst Miracle Probes which I installed on th previous trailer.
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

popeyemth
Explorer
Explorer
Keeping water in the toilet bowl is all you need to do to prevent odors.
That makes a seal between the camper and the tank,just like your bathroom at home.
Good Luck, Mike
"wine is a constant proof that God loves us, and loves to see us happy" ben franklin

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
OK I will show my lack of knowledge. That is a SanTFlauh system?

Also, my objective for bleaching the black tank was to keep the odor down between uses.

jmcgsd
Explorer
Explorer
I would never again purchase an RV without a SanTFlush installed. We had our first one on our last Lance TC. When we went looking for a TT it was on top of the list. They do a great job in keeping the black tank clean and sensors working. I believe they can be installed after market.
'09 Pacific Coachworks Tango 276RBS
95 Lance 880 Truck Camper

'91 F350 Dually 2WD CC 7.5L (76K Original miles!)
AirLift Bags, Reese Titan hitch, Rancho 9000X

wmoses
Explorer
Explorer
My RV came with a black tank flush and it appeares to work well since my sensors work fine (so far).
Regards,
Wayne
2014 Flagstaff Super Lite 27RLWS Emerald Ed. | Equal-i-zer 1200/12,000 4-point WDH
2010 GMC Sierra 1500 SLE 5.3L 6-speed auto | K&N Filter | Hypertech Max Energy tune | Prodigy P3
_

REMFISH
Explorer
Explorer
Hook up TT and dump a couple bags of ice into tank thru toilet. Drive around town to allow the ice to slosh around. Believe it or not, it works. I installed a flush kit that sprays inside tank while dumping. Once the tank is empty, I leave the water on and let it spray until the drain water runs relatively clear. Never have issues with sensors doing this.
R.E. May

_tiredTeacher
Explorer II
Explorer II
Old-Biscuit wrote:
Why are you worrying about sanitizing a waste tank?

Really.
Wright and Penny
2010 Tundra 4X4
2014 Rockwood 2604WS
"Life is a cruel teacher. She gives the test first; the lesson then follows."

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
Well once again the forum has been a great help.

I would not have know that bleach could attack the valve seals or a dry tank can lead to hard solid deposits.

It shows you are never to old to ask questions.

Thanks folks

spike99
Explorer
Explorer

When we towed our TT, I simply dumped both tanks at CG site. Within black tank, I put 2 x bags of ice and 1 gallon of water down its toilet bowl hole. Then, I towed TT home - which was often 3+ hours tow home. As we drove down the bumpy road, the ice would move around and clean its inner tank sides. When we got home, I simply emptied the blank tank (into our septic system).

This worked great - without using expensive / dangerous chemicals or fancy washing wands - that sometimes have spray back.

mlts22
Explorer
Explorer
The best way I've seen to clean a black tank was an European rig which had a 8-12 inch disk that unscrewed from the top and was watertight. Then, one could go at the interior of the black tank with a scraper and a wet/dry vac, then once cleaned, bleach water run through, the tank rinsed again.

Of course, that isn't really possible with US rigs, so I like tossing a few bags of ice down the commode, go for a drive, do a dump/rinse, add a gallon or two of water, some fabric softener or hand dish soap, and call it done.

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
I would not leave bleach in it because of the damage it may do to the rubber seal at the dump valve.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
I use Febreeze softener. It's cheap and smells wonderful. It's a surfactant just like soap or Calgon. Use with plenty of water.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

wanderingbob
Explorer II
Explorer II
Downtheroad has it correct , you ain't storing food in it . My sister scrubs her tanks over and over and over , all the while her husband is pacing back and forth waiting for her to get done so he can take a dump , if I am allowed to say that !

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
Fill it with water for certain but bleach won't do anything to help anything other than to dry out seals. The main thing when a trailer will be unused for a period of time is to NEVER allow the black tank to dry out. Regardless of how well you clean the tank there are ALWAYS remaining solids which will turn to stone if allowed to dry and over time can form a clog.
Good luck / Skip
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population