cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Black water valve cable

6pac
Explorer
Explorer
while on our trip up to visit our son in Virigina we stopped in Bull Run to dump and found the cable connected to the black water tank valve wasn't connected . Thus here we are up the proverbial creek without a way of using the privy. Have called all dealers with 50 miles an all are booked for the next week . The Lance 881 is a basement unit an with the drawer removed I can see the cable an connection but cannot reach it . Would it be possible to cut a hole in the floor without compromising it structural integerty of the camper? Any assistance would be helpful.
Chevy 2006 2500HD 4 x 4 Duramax / Allison srw cc sb Fh air bags
Lance 2005 model 881 Max
Doriece & Ernest ( 6pac )
14 REPLIES 14

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
6pac wrote:
For those who haven't removed the bottom I've included some pictures ,well I find it impossible to post them .

I'm glad the problem is fixed!

In the first post of this thread link below, there is a lot of info on how to post pictures. First, you upload to something like photobucket. Then, include a link using the picture icon making sure you specify width as 600.

http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/14122053.cfm

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

FireGuard
Explorer II
Explorer II
A little late now that you fixed it, but it looks like if you remove the storage tray in the entry step you would have access to the valves and everything in the basement.
Too small to crawl in, but maybe use a reaching tool to get to things.
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

6pac
Explorer
Explorer
Yesterday I removed the bottom of the camper , luck for me it was in two pieces , upon doing so found that the valve was intact an the cable not broken . The valve was impacted an worked after being driven from Florida to Virgina an back . Maybe the impact dissolved.
While under the camper I ran new wire from the generator to the opposite side to install another battery. For those who haven't removed the bottom I've included some pictures ,well I find it impossible to post them .
Chevy 2006 2500HD 4 x 4 Duramax / Allison srw cc sb Fh air bags
Lance 2005 model 881 Max
Doriece & Ernest ( 6pac )

Paradox123
Explorer
Explorer
A little late to the party, but, for a temporary solution, you can get an external valve from a RV store (Camping World, etc.). The valve simply attaches to the connection where the hose normally goes and the hose now attaches to the temporary valve. Then you leave the camper's built-in valve open and dump your tank using the external valve. Works fine except in freezing tempertures.

AISURFFISH
Explorer
Explorer
God I hated that cable on my 881..
2017 F350 6.2L Crew Cab

Arctic Fox 990 2021 TORK-LIFT FAST GUNS AND SUPER HITCH
COOLER RACK OFF THE FRONT ALWAYS FULL OF FISHING RODS TICA TO BE EXACT

nycsteve
Explorer
Explorer
FireGuard wrote:
I have the same setup on my 981. Can you use some sort of tool to reach the dump valve to pull it open?
To deal with the slow draining pipe, you can make another shutoff valve and attach it to the drain pipe under the camper where the cap goes on. This way if there is anything left in the pipe you can remove the cap and attach the hose without a mess.

I have a 2008 981. On mine the underbelly must be removed to acsess the valve, I cant see how you can reach it with a tool.

nycsteve
Explorer
Explorer
FireGuard wrote:
I have the same setup on my 981. Can you use some sort of tool to reach the dump valve to pull it open?
To deal with the slow draining pipe, you can make another shutoff valve and attach it to the drain pipe under the camper where the cap goes on. This way if there is anything left in the pipe you can remove the cap and attach the hose without a mess.

I have a 2008 981. On mine the underbelly must be removed to acsess the valve, I cant see how you can reach it with a tool.

FireGuard
Explorer II
Explorer II
13Jeep Wrangler
07 Ragen 21FB
12 Yamaha Super Tenere
14 Suzuki DR 650

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
Side note:
The valves are located up front and there is a long run of pipe from the valve to the drain cap.
It takes TIME for the long pipe run to completely drain AFTER the valve is closed.

Extremely important:
When dumping, make sure that the camper is tilted in the direction of the drain cap.
Front to back and side to cap.

Other wise, undrained liquid will remain in the pipe.
And, the next time it's time to dump, the drain cap will have a lot of liquid built up behind it.
That is NOT due to a leaky valve. . .and can lead to an un-necessary repair.

Previous owner could have made that mistake. Dealer wouldn't know that was the case and would have simply changed out the valve and did a $hitty job of it.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

nycsteve
Explorer
Explorer
As stated; camper off truck, remove underbelly of camper, its light and easy to do. More than likely you'll need a cable assembly, possibly a generic one is available.You might be able to make a temporairy repair and reconnect yourself without replacing cable assembly. Exposing by removing underbelly is easy. Good luck!

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
there is a chance in the RV would that its not a Phillips but a square head screw driver that is required.
2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

MN_Ben
Explorer
Explorer
Sorry, i deleted the pics from my camera. Unload the camper and crawl under it. Screws every 6" around the floor.
2006 F350 Dually PSD
2008 Keystone Laredo 29RL 5th Wheel

2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2004 Lance 1130 -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 -SOLD
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD
Ford FX4 Ranger -SOLD

MN_Ben
Explorer
Explorer
I am lacking some pictures. Ill try to post em up from my phone. Cut and paste this link....
http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28567699.cfm
2006 F350 Dually PSD

2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2004 Lance 1130 -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 -SOLD
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD
Ford FX4 Ranger -SOLD

MN_Ben
Explorer
Explorer
Unload the camper. From undernieth ther is a thin sheet of plywood scewd to the frame. The sheet is probably as wide as the floor that sits on your truck and possibly just as long. Youll need a phillips screwdriver. Ill see if i can find my post on when i did mine and post up the link.
2006 F350 Dually PSD

2002 F250 7.3 PSD -SOLD
2004 Lance 1130 -SOLD
2005 Lance 981 -SOLD
2000 Lance 1010-SOLD
199? Texan 650 -SOLD
Ford FX4 Ranger -SOLD