Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Blow out or Use the pink stuff my personal review

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
Okay I did the blow out the air lines thing for the first time. I have
a large air compressor and everything necessary to make it as easy as possible. Took me about a 1/2 hour. If I were to do it again it would take about 20 minutes.

Then because I am paranoid I ran the pink stuff through. The pink stuff took about 5 minutes and I have nothing to be paranoid about. It also has a lubricant in it which is good for the valves and pump.

I should say I do believe the air got all the water out. It to me is just so easy to use the pink stuff and so safe I believe that will be my choice in the future. I did spend the 6 dollars on pink stuff for two gallons. But that seems like a small cost for the ease and convenience.

Now of course I have a winterizing valve and water heater bypass. If I did not then the air would be a more appealing option.

JMHO
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!
46 REPLIES 46

trailgranny50
Explorer
Explorer
We fill or water tank with filtered water from home and whenever we refill we use the best filter we can buy for that. Always check the water at different faucets before filling after one bad experience. We also bleach out the tank at least twice a year between trips. Never have a problem using on board water but we're old and somethings going to kill us eventually anyway.
2004 Chevy 3500 Duramax all stock
1990 950 Shadow Cruiser Hard side multiple add-ons
Ancient Valco 10'x5' John boat
2011 Toyota FJ Cruiser Trail Team
One-eyed Trail Horse and one horse trailer
Rocky, Annie, Muffie traveling Fur Babies

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
We drink filtered water at home and in our TC. Eagle Cap comes with in-line filter and dedicated spout for drinking water. This set-up could be added to any camper.
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

dave17352
Explorer
Explorer
We also drink RO water at home. So we also bring water bottled water. I would not hesitate to use the water tank other than my coffee would not taste right nor would my glasses of water.
NOW 2017 Leprechaun 260ds
2005 Forrest River Cardinal 29rkle FW
1998 Lance 980 11'3" TC
2017 CHEVY 3500 SRW 6.0
B@W turnover ball @ companion Hitch
Honda eu3000 generator mounted on cargo rack
Crestliner 1850 Fish Ski boat mostly fishing now!

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
I generally drink filtered water at home as well. Why would I drink the unfiltered water in my RV if I don't have to? I have thought about bringing filtered water from home, but so far, it's been too easy to just bring a case of bottle water for < $5. The water in my tanks sits for quite a while at times. Maybe some of you go through a lot more water than I do.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
mkasner wrote:
Why is it that people will not drink out of their on-board tanks. Is the water source you have available to you not adequate? hard water? well water?

To answer only for us -- at home we drink and cook and make ice with water from our multiple-filter reverse osmosis under sink filter system. The water tastes so good I suppose it has spoiled us. When camping, we just take bottled water along for drinking and cooking. We frequently find bottled water on sale for $1.99 for 24 bottle cases, so it's a nominal expense.

Our city water is potable, but is very hard water, so we don't care for it ... Personal preference.

soren
Explorer
Explorer
I found antifreeze on sale this year for $2/gal. It takes a bit over a gallon and 10-15 minutes from start to finish. No way I'm lugging a compressor around when it's that easy to do the job without it. The other interesting point is living in the northeast and walking around dealer's lots. I have been doing that for two decades now and have yet to find one where, in springtime, you don't see every sink, toilet and shower of every dealer owned RV with pink slopped all over. Just guess, but if blowing lines was foolproof, and saved a few bucks per rig, I doubt dealers would be buying so much antifreeze, and paying their help to use it in their inventory?

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
mkasner wrote:
Why is it that people will not drink out of their on-board tanks. Is the water source you have available to you not adequate? hard water? well water?

I bring beer instead of using on-board tanks. :B 😉
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.

Jack_Spratt
Explorer
Explorer
mkasner wrote:

We use pink anti freeze and drink/cook with the water
Leprechaun 260 DSF
2017 Big Horn FL3750

'10 Yellow Lab to keep us on our toes.

mkasner
Explorer
Explorer

TCBob
Explorer
Explorer
We have used the pink stuff, for years now. Peace of mind! We DO use our rig in the winter, most of those times to the empty campgrounds, or parking lots. Just bring bottled water for drinking and cooking. Pretty easy this way. No big deal if we add some water for flushing. Just drain an more pink when home.

Missed the shower head one year....had to replace the sprayer. Hopefully won't make that mistake again!

I always figure what I run into the gray and black tanks while running the sinks and toilet take care of them.

Thanks to who ever posted the food production note. I wasn't concerned except taste....now no concern at all!!!
2004 S&S 8.5 SC Ponderosa
1999 Ford F-350 4X4 7.3-PSD DRW

crcr
Explorer
Explorer
We live in S. AZ, so only have 1 or 2 mild freezes per winter. I just blew the water out of our RV lines with our pancake air compressor. We don't drink or cook with the water from the fresh water tank. We camp 30-40 days per year so just take bottled water along for drinking and cooking.

Added pink stuff to the traps only.

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
x2. I flush the water system thoroughly, let it sit for a day or two, and flush it again. And if I do taste anything, it tastes like MiriLAX. :W
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

_DJ_1
Explorer II
Explorer II
mkasner wrote:
Wont you be sanitizing the fresh water tank come spring, so isn't this whole is pink better than air / taste of water a mute point?

This was my thought too. I blow mine out then use the pink stuff too. Never noticed any after taste after Spring sanitizing.
'17 Class C 22' Conquest on Ford E 450 with V 10. 4000 Onan, Quad 6 volt AGMs, 515 watts solar.
'12 Northstar Liberty on a '16 Super Duty 6.2. Twin 6 volt AGMs with 300 watts solar.

Capt__Caper
Explorer
Explorer
I do pink stuff...can do anywere any time...fast..takes me 4 minutes to do the Lance and less then a gallon.
On a side note I have a 60 gal compressor with many hoses,fittings etc...and a yard to do it so I know what I'm missing or not missing. I even have a scuba tank with a reworked regulator for portable air.
2011 F350 Super Duty,SRW, 6.7 PowerStroke,Crew Cab,Lariet,4x4, 3.55 Locking Diff ,Short Box.Timbrens,Happy Jack's, Gator Guard bed liner, Penda bed mat.
2012 Lance 855S 9K Coleman A/C,Duel Batteries