cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Body Shifted Slightly Off Frame

Johnny7744
Explorer
Explorer
I am looking at a 2016 Cruiser Viewfinder 28BHSS and was told by the dealer that the tow vehicle was in an accident and there is a slight .25 inch shift on the body from frame. He states it tows fine and everything is in working order. It includes a 90 Day national warranty and the title is clean. Should I have any worries about the body shift?

Thanks for your help
41 REPLIES 41

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
Mr Bojangles wrote:

I seen only one reply that said "LOW BALL" and see what shakes.

That's NOT what I said.

This trailer MIGHT be an opportunity given a proper inspection.

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
OMG - no. Likely to be lots of hidden damage. A tweaked body or frame is bad. TTs can barely stay together even when not in an accident.

How fast can you run?

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
FLY 4 FUN wrote:
Im in the "run away" camp.

Ditto.

RUN, FAST.

The headaches of dealing with future problems aren't worth saving what little they are marking it down.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

Mr_Bojangles
Explorer
Explorer
Johnny7744:

Johnny, Johnny, Johnny..........
Your hooked by the "Rationalization" bug! Your thinking is wrong.
It happens to us all..... I'm no different than you.

I seen only one reply that said "LOW BALL" and see what shakes. All others said RUN!
Half way through you talk about 27K being the real price and 14K is really a buy. That says it all.....
Good luck.
SAFBVET.....

Mr_Bojangles
Explorer
Explorer
Johnny7744:

Johnny, Johnny, Johnny..........
Your hooked by the "Rationalization" bug! Your thinking is wrong.
It happens to us all..... I'm no different than you.

I seen only one reply that said "LOW BALL" and see what shakes. All others said RUN!
Half way through you talk about 27K being the real price and 14K is really a buy. That says it all.....
Good luck.
SAFBVET.....

Let's not forget one very important detail here:

This thing took an impact severe enough to shift the body on the frame....
How much does this thing weigh, as towed down the highway?
I have no idea but let's call it 6,000 pounds just for the sake of this point.
So you're dragging 3 tons down the highway all supported on one little 2 5/16" steel ball.
All of a sudden it takes a big impact of the front and is very quickly slowed down or stopped, quick enough that the body wanted to keep going.
So what bore all the weight of the impact? The hitch did. All that weight transfer trying to be held back by a couple pieces of metal tube or C channel and some braces, and a coupler that ties it all to a steel ball.

I'd be more concerned about the integrity of the coupler and hitch area and where it connects under the front of the trailer. It's only welded on. All that weight suddenly loaded real hard on a few pieces of welded steel? Is it bent? Are the welds broken or cracked?

Ever had a hitch become partly disconnected from the trailer going down the highway? I have. Pretty scary stuff.
2007 GMC 3500 dually ext. cab 4X4 LBZ Dmax/Allison - 2007 Pacific Coachworks Tango 306RLSS
RV Rebuild Website - Site launched Aug 22, 2021 - www.rv-rebuild.com

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
You have no idea how much damage occurred that you cannot see. All that damage will show up later after the warranty. Pass on this unit. If the wall frame is cracked the seams will be a huge issue and a considerable amount of expensive repair in the future especially if water starts to get in and dry rot causes damage. Pass on it!
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
Being a hands on guy...I would look at it VERY closely to see how bad it actually is and if there is any potential for future problems.

If I liked what I saw...I would LOW BALL him. Big time.

_1nobby
Explorer
Explorer
SoundGuy wrote:
cyntdon2010 wrote:
Run Forest RUN

I'm sure you mean Forrest. :W

Captain Obvious is here, everyone!

DownTheAvenue
Explorer
Explorer
Kudos to the dealer for being honest about damage. However, it is not worth the risks for potential mega problems in the future. You say it is a new unit, but only with a 90 day warranty. That tells me the factory warranty has been voided much like a new car with a salvage title. Pass on this one. Speaking of titles, what is the status of teh title on this unit?

DanJoan
Explorer
Explorer
Add my "RUN" to the chorus.... not worth it.
2017 Cherokee Limited (Patriot Edition)
2015 Dodge Ram Big Horn Edition

Moved up from 2004 Antiqua 195ck

Johnny7744
Explorer
Explorer
It's a new unit. The price New is actually $27k not $16k

Boon_Docker
Explorer III
Explorer III
Bad idea if you are only saving a couple thousand dollars over an accident free one.

SoundGuy
Explorer
Explorer
cyntdon2010 wrote:
Run Forest RUN

I'm sure you mean Forrest. :W
2012 Silverado 1500 Crew Cab
2014 Coachmen Freedom Express 192RBS
2003 Fleetwood Yuma * 2008 K-Z Spree 240BH-LX
2007 TrailCruiser C21RBH * 2000 Fleetwood Santa Fe
1998 Jayco 10UD * 1969 Coleman CT380

cyntdon2010
Explorer
Explorer
Run Forest RUN
2010 lacrosse T.T 318 bhs 34 ft,blue ox-tow bar,2005 FORD F-150 larait super crew,Firestone ready rite-air bags lift kit