cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Bought our first DIESEL!!

Nicholsfamily05
Explorer
Explorer
We bought our first diesel a few days ago.

We traded in our 2012 Ram 2500 Mega Cab with 26,500 miles on it and walked away with our

2016 Ram 3500 Big Horn Crew Cab Turbo Cummings. We aren't to sure about the crew cab but we are impressed with the Cummings. So far only 175 miles on it but 17mpg around the city and close to 19 on the highway is amazing. The power it has is amazing and the rumble is great.

We aren't impressed with the backup camera. That's the only thing we can find we don't like. It's horrible.

We are just waiting for the new hitch to come in so we can install it and hook up to our 40' fifth wheel and see how she does. The Mega did great but had many upgrades and could barely push 11-12 mpg out of her with the trailer.

Once I learn how to post pics I'll get a few up.
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Big Horn Crew Cab, SRW. Cummins Turbo Diesel Automatic 68RFE Trans
50 gallon diesel Transfer Flow tank with the Traxx 3 system.
2017 Sierra FLIK 5th Wheel
42' Front Livingroom, 15K
Hydraulic level up system
33 REPLIES 33

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
I love the backup camera on my Ram (8.4" Screen). The backup sensors are also super nice. My last truck had neither so I suppose I have nothing to compare to. The nicest use I've found for the camera is when backing into a spot that opposes another one I can use the cameral to but my bumper right on the line. Same thing when parallel parking. I can get my truck right in the lines instead of having to get out and check.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
Nicholsfamily05 wrote:
They changed the back up camera from a normal lense, where you could see everything nicely and tell the distances between objects. Say your bumper and my stone wall that lines my driveway.

The new camera is a bubble lense and makes everything rounded. We can barely see the edges of our bumpers. Granted I don't use it for normal backing up as the mirrors are more than adequate but it Was helpful getting it into our garage.

We have the 8.4 nav system in the truck.

Are you saying that there is a change between the BU camera in my 2015 and the 2016's. I Even put a OEM camera in the back of my V-Box! I could not get it tipped down quite as far was the tail gate one. However both work very well, and I have learned to trust them. I like to back into parking spot, as I can see the rear bumper at the line on the pavement. Much easier that guessing at where the front bumper is at.

You can see the replacement camera cable and black dot in the center of the V-Box. Chris

2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Instead of complaining about the backup Camera, what about the Backup Lights!!
I have yest to see a decent set of backup lights on a TV!!! Most are just ok, when it is dry out, but get it wet and most are useless.
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

rhagfo
Explorer III
Explorer III
Wow, so many complaints about back up cameras!
The only thing I use them for when available is seeing how close I am to the car behind me. This is a TV, maybe you should learn to use the two outside mirrors!
Not saying that they are not a great feature to see below the TG, and for items behind, and how close to the car or wall behind, but to me that is about the only use. The outside mirrors work great for the rest.

Did I mention welcome to the Diesel world. What 40' 5er were you pulling with the Hemi?

Here is a link to your pictures
3500 RAM
Russ & Paula the Beagle Belle.
2016 Ram Laramie 3500 Aisin DRW 4X4 Long bed.
2005 Copper Canyon 293 FWSLS, 32' GVWR 12,360#

"Visit and Enjoy Oregon State Parks"

Nicholsfamily05
Explorer
Explorer
We checked with the dealership and they said that it can't be changed because it also has that horrible active park system.
The one where the lines move as you turn the wheel(which is annoying as well) And they don't have a way of changing the software back to the old one.

I think the angle that it points down at is pretty good. Our back up can in the wife's avalanche is annoying because it does point straight out.
2016 Ram 3500 4x4 Big Horn Crew Cab, SRW. Cummins Turbo Diesel Automatic 68RFE Trans

IDoMyOwnStunts
Explorer
Explorer
Nicholsfamily05 wrote:
They changed the back up camera from a normal lense, where you could see everything nicely and tell the distances between objects. Say your bumper and my stone wall that lines my driveway.

The new camera is a bubble lense and makes everything rounded. We can barely see the edges of our bumpers. Granted I don't use it for normal backing up as the mirrors are more than adequate but it Was helpful getting it into our garage.

Ah, I see! I can totally see that point of view. Yes, mine is the same. I had no reference except the one on my car, which is excellent. But it doesn't point so far down.

I wonder if you could get an older version of the lens and swap it out. Might be something to look into.
I'm done. This isn't a place to be helpful. It's a place where curmudgeons with a superiority complex will nit pick everything. If you want help, go elsewhere. Admin, delete my account please.

Nicholsfamily05
Explorer
Explorer

Mike_LeClair
Explorer
Explorer
45Ricochet wrote:
Nicholsfamily05 wrote:
Haha... Yeah I did add the "g". I'll have to work on that.
The rattle of the diesel sounds so good!!!

You should have had a Cummins from 10-15 years ago if you like rattle :B
Congrats on owning the best diesel motor, barr none. Without a doubt the gold standard the last 35 years world wide.

Hmmmpf! As the proud owner of a 24V CTD, vintage year 1999, you 6.7 liter folk simply aren't allowed to talk about the delightful cacophony of noise emanating from under the hoods of your "can hardly tell it's a diesel" CTD's. 😉 🙂

Cheers!

Mike
Something Old, Something New
2012 F350 SRW, 6.7l Powerstroke, 3.55's front and rear.
2008 Fleetwood Regal 325RKTS
Mike, Carol and our 4 legged "furry child" Kenzie Shweenie Tod

IDoMyOwnStunts
Explorer
Explorer
Me Again wrote:
What is it about the backup camera that you do not like? Do you have the 8.4" center dash display?

Ours worked very well. Chris

If they are referring to one in the mirror, it is terrible. One of trucks I test drove had it. Could barely make anything out. The 8.4 one is what I ended up with. Even then, I think my Volt one is better, but it's not bad.

OP, congrats on the new truck!
I'm done. This isn't a place to be helpful. It's a place where curmudgeons with a superiority complex will nit pick everything. If you want help, go elsewhere. Admin, delete my account please.

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
What is it about the backup camera that you do not like? Do you have the 8.4" center dash display?

Ours worked very well. Chris
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

BB_TX
Nomad
Nomad
Congrats on the new truck. I think you will grow to like the crew cab. Still a lot of room there. Surprised about the camera though. I love mine (although not a Ram), especially for backing out of blind spots, not towing of course.

jmtandem
Explorer II
Explorer II
The Cummins motto "six in line tows just fine". It will take years to wipe the smile off your face when towing. The engine is a beast.
'05 Dodge Cummins 4x4 dually 3500 white quadcab auto long bed.

45Ricochet
Explorer
Explorer
Nicholsfamily05 wrote:

You should have had a Cummins from 10-15 years ago if you like rattle :B
Congrats on owning the best diesel motor, barr none. Without a doubt the gold standard the last 35 years world wide.
2015 Tiffin Phaeton Cummins ISL, Allison 3000, 45K GCWR
10KW Onan, Magnum Pure Sine Wave Inverter
2015 GMC Canyon Toad

Previous camping rig
06 Ram 3500 CC LB Laramie 4x4 Dually 5.9 Cummins Smarty Jr 48RE Jacobs brake
06 Grand Junction 15500 GVWR 3200 pin

Nicholsfamily05
Explorer
Explorer

Yeah we will deal with the camera. Wish we did get the bed camera tho. It was nice in the other truck maybe we will add an after market one.

We have two kids 8 & 10, and they loved the reclinin rear seats in the Mega. Take them time to get used to it but still a great sized cab.

mtofell1
Explorer
Explorer
Nicholsfamily05 wrote:
Cummings.

Cummins.... not Cummings. You have the best engine and truck out there 🙂 Don't give the trolls any ammo 🙂 🙂