cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brakes not working - Update

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
We have a 2003 Prowler TT. Seems like the brakes are not stopping the TT. You can hear them but they do not seem to stop it. Any idea of what the cost would be to have them fixed. Do not want to spend alot on this well used TT.
Thanks for any imput,

Got a quote of $50 for estimate but thought it may be in $300 range.

We sold it to a man who is just setting it up to have it as a homebase.

He travels for work. Yes he knows the brakes are bad.
29 REPLIES 29

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:

I bought NEITHER of my trailers new, and NEITHER of the sellers ever "disclosed" all the bad points and non working things..It was used and cheap so I UNDERSTOOD that I would have to fix things.

I drove several hours on the promise of: "My dad always makes sure everything is in proper working order".

That little pop-up was worth the cash, so I bought it.

Good thing I took enough tools to wire turn-signals and brake lights. Fixed the marker lights when I got home.

One man's "working order", is another man's "need to fix".

EDIT: In his defense....everything else worked as advertised. Bearings, tires, etc... were ready to roll. He just never thought it needed brake/turn lights because you could see the lights on his pickup.

cbshoestring
Explorer
Explorer
clumsy fingers

myredracer
Explorer II
Explorer II
It would be pretty easy and fast to just jack up one wheel at a time, pull a drum and see what there is to see. Could just need a good cleaning and adjustment. Or perhaps you might even find grease in there from a blown seal(s) in which case you will know more needs to be done.

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
tomkaren13 wrote:
Sold it to a man who will be setting it up and using it as a home base. he travels for work. He knows the brakes do not work.

Glad you told the purchaser..

Probably shouldn't have posted anything on the forum about selling it..

Now there will be pages of outraged folks posting all kinds of mean things..

Folks around here don't understand selling "used" and "as is" and often mistake it for new that EVERYTHING should work like new.

I bought NEITHER of my trailers new, and NEITHER of the sellers ever "disclosed" all the bad points and non working things..It was used and cheap so I UNDERSTOOD that I would have to fix things.

Seller has no "obligation" to disclose problems but SHOULD have some "courtesy" to the buyer by disclosing.

You DID, and that is what should be done.. Wished more people would be honest like that.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Beauty...
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
Sold it to a man who will be setting it up and using it as a home base. he travels for work. He knows the brakes do not work.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
There could be other reasons that the brakes are not working like excessive grease intrusion, worn parts, broken parts, etc. Diagnosing the exact issues is difficult without lifting the trailer and pulling drums. If nothing has been done for axle end maintenance, the correct service would be to pull the hubs/drums, inspect, and service. Some of us do this on a routine basis to insure proper brake and bearing function.

What I'm having trouble understanding is that the OP states a 2003 trailer (his profile shows a 2005) and either of these would have a NADA value of > $7K with typical amenities and in fair condition. Having inoperable brakes would lower the value considerably and is a safety hazard for anyone trying to tow it.

Then again, there are some that trade in their car if the cigarette lighter breaks...
'03 F-250 4x4 CC

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
Lantley wrote:
I guess the real question is how can anyone no what it's gonna cost via the internet? We have no idea what is wrong. Could be simple adjustment. Broken wire, bad connection. Problem with controller. Or the brakes may need a total rebuild.
Puts you in the $75.00-$600.00 range. How's that for an uneducated guess?
I suggest taking it in for an estimate and then decide how much you are willing to spend/invest.
If the trailer is in decent shape otherwise I would not let a brake job be the deal breaker.

Trouble shooting the brakes does not require a rocket scientist.

OP already has determined it is NOT the vehicle.

It IS NOT the brake controller.

Break away switch does not apply the brakes (that SHOULD LOCK UP THE WHEELS)

Brake controller does make the magnets "humm" (a good sign that the magnets HAVE some sort of electrical connection)

That pretty much narrows it down to stuck/frozen parts on the backing plate..

OR the brake shoes are severely out of adjustment..

Given the age it is most likely stuck or frozen parts on the backing plate.. That would be the WORST and most expensive possible problem..

If it as simple as adjustment it will be the CHEAPEST possible fix.

See, now was that so darn hard to determine via internet?

It is all about asking the RIGHT questions and drilling down until you eliminate all other possibilities.

Besides I DON'T think the OP was looking for an detailed EXACT PRICE OF REPAIRS.. Just nothing more than a "ball park" estimate..

Better to have an idea that parts might be $200 and perhaps labor may run $200-$300 BEFORE they commit..

After all the place they are taking it too WANTS a NON REFUNDABLE DIAGNOSTIC FEE UP FRONT..

Personally I would look for another repair shop that doesn't charge an upfront fee.. That simply LOCKS the customer into that shop..

There are many LEGIT repair shops that do not charge diagnostic fees, instead they will write up an estimate and will wait for your approval before doing any work.

Lantley
Nomad
Nomad
I guess the real question is how can anyone no what it's gonna cost via the internet? We have no idea what is wrong. Could be simple adjustment. Broken wire, bad connection. Problem with controller. Or the brakes may need a total rebuild.
Puts you in the $75.00-$600.00 range. How's that for an uneducated guess?
I suggest taking it in for an estimate and then decide how much you are willing to spend/invest.
If the trailer is in decent shape otherwise I would not let a brake job be the deal breaker.
19'Duramax w/hips, 2022 Alliance Paradigm 390MP >BD3,r,22" Blackstone
r,RV760 w/BC20,Glow Steps, Enduraplas25,Pedego
BakFlip,RVLock,Prog.50A surge ,Hughes autoformer
Porta Bote 8.0 Nissan, Sailun S637

tomkaren13
Explorer
Explorer
Will be getting fixed or getting out out of camping. Would not sell without disclosing any and all problems!!!

temccarthy1
Explorer
Explorer
--------------------------------------------------------------------
OP MAY be deciding whether it is worth putting money into THIS trailer OR sell it and get ANOTHER TRAILER..

If they are thinking of selling the trailer then it IS up to the BUYER to ensure the trailer is road worthy before towing (That IS what I have encountered over the years..

I HAVE had to FIX LIGHTS AND BRAKES before towing after the purchase of a used trailer.

Why in the world should WE (IE the forum) jump to final death conclusions..

We have no way of knowing the exact reason as to why the OP asked the question so there is no reason to jump to conclusions like they are not going to repair the brakes and use as is..

Obviously the brake issue has them worried otherwise they would not have ever started this thread.

OP may have a BUDGET or is wanting to BUDGET for the expense of repairs, who knows.. But no sense in acting like or insisting they are not going to get repaired before using.. Just because they asked a simple question of possible cost or what may be involved in the repair, doesn't mean they are not planning to get it fixed..

Sort of like taking a vehicle to a repair shop.. YOU WANT AN ESTIMATE so you can figure out if it worth the cost..
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Apparently GDETRAILER is an aspiring attorney because of his NEED to criticize Westend and other posters for asking some questions relating to the OP's post and his ANNOYING NEED TO CAPITALIZE WORDS to make his point. CHILL!
Tim, Ramona and dog Scruffy
1982 Coleman Sun Valley PUP (retired)
2014 Keystone Bullet 285RLS Ultralite TT
2013 Ford Expedition XLT 5.4L Triton V8
Equalizer E2 hitch

beemerphile1
Explorer
Explorer
tomkaren13 wrote:
When TT is hooked up and brakes applied a buzzing sound is heard but no brakes are working. We pulled the break-a-way switch and no brakes. Got an estimate for diagnostics of $50 applied to work if done.

Would like some more input from here as to what we may expect.

When exactly were the brakes adjusted the last time? This is a standard maintenance item. Very few TT have self adjusting brakes. I adjust mine annually at least.
Build a life you don't need a vacation from.

2016 Silverado 3500HD DRW D/A 4x4
2018 Keystone Cougar 26RBS
2006 Weekend Warrior FK1900

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
westend wrote:
Gdetrailer wrote:
temccarthy1 wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
The trailer is a dozen years old, so just pull the drums and have a look. It is way overdue for a brake inspection. You may find grease, rust, worn shoes, broken hardware or bad wiring. The bearings need to be inspected and repacked with grease and properly adjusted. All the advice people can give you from afar will not give you a trailer that is safe.

AMEN to that!

Gee whizz folks.. Get a grip..

The OP POSTED THIS..

"When TT is hooked up and brakes applied a buzzing sound is heard but no brakes are working. We pulled the break-a-way switch and no brakes. Got an estimate for diagnostics of $50 applied to work if done.

"

SOOOO I don't think the OP was planning to use or sell the trailer "as is"..

I suspect they are FULLY INTENTIONALLY WANTING TO GET THE BRAKES WORKING. They are just asking what they could possible expect to pay and/or what parts may be needed.
Possibly but they also stated this:
Any idea of what the cost would be to have them fixed. Do not want to spend alot on this well used TT.

To me that indicates the repair cost may exceed their comfortability level. Besides, if they the brakes absolutely need service, why ask, if the work is going to be done regardless.

OP MAY be deciding whether it is worth putting money into THIS trailer OR sell it and get ANOTHER TRAILER..

If they are thinking of selling the trailer then it IS up to the BUYER to ensure the trailer is road worthy before towing (That IS what I have encountered over the years..

I HAVE had to FIX LIGHTS AND BRAKES before towing after the purchase of a used trailer.

Why in the world should WE (IE the forum) jump to final death conclusions..

We have no way of knowing the exact reason as to why the OP asked the question so there is no reason to jump to conclusions like they are not going to repair the brakes and use as is..

Obviously the brake issue has them worried otherwise they would not have ever started this thread.

OP may have a BUDGET or is wanting to BUDGET for the expense of repairs, who knows.. But no sense in acting like or insisting they are not going to get repaired before using.. Just because they asked a simple question of possible cost or what may be involved in the repair, doesn't mean they are not planning to get it fixed..

Sort of like taking a vehicle to a repair shop.. YOU WANT AN ESTIMATE so you can figure out if it worth the cost..

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
temccarthy1 wrote:
Lynnmor wrote:
The trailer is a dozen years old, so just pull the drums and have a look. It is way overdue for a brake inspection. You may find grease, rust, worn shoes, broken hardware or bad wiring. The bearings need to be inspected and repacked with grease and properly adjusted. All the advice people can give you from afar will not give you a trailer that is safe.

AMEN to that!

Gee whizz folks.. Get a grip..

The OP POSTED THIS..

"When TT is hooked up and brakes applied a buzzing sound is heard but no brakes are working. We pulled the break-a-way switch and no brakes. Got an estimate for diagnostics of $50 applied to work if done.

"

SOOOO I don't think the OP was planning to use or sell the trailer "as is"..

I suspect they are FULLY INTENTIONALLY WANTING TO GET THE BRAKES WORKING. They are just asking what they could possible expect to pay and/or what parts may be needed.
Possibly but they also stated this:
Any idea of what the cost would be to have them fixed. Do not want to spend alot on this well used TT.

To me that indicates the repair cost may exceed their comfortability level. Besides, if they the brakes absolutely need service, why ask, if the work is going to be done regardless.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC