cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

brand new camper leaks

plasticmaster
Explorer
Explorer
I have a brand new Vibe camper by Forest River. I took delivery on February 20 and it already has leaks in at least 2 different places. I'm also getting moisture readings under the floor when I check it with a moisture meter. Dealer says they will fix leaks and resulting damage pending warranty approval from Forest River. I'm very disgusted that this brand new camper leaks after I've only had it a few weeks. For those experienced with Forest River warranty process, am I likely to get all this repaired under warranty? Closed up wet wood in a camper is very bad. Thanks for any advice.
18 REPLIES 18

RVcircus
Explorer II
Explorer II
westend wrote:
Where are the leaks? If it was me, I'd have a pressurized leak test done. Sealtech is one company that does them or you can DIY with an adequate blower.

I agree. I'd insist on a pressure test on their dime to make sure they get all the leaks.
2000 KZ Sportsman 2505 (overhauled & upgraded 2014)
2016 Chevy Express 3500 15 passanger van
6 humans, 2 cats, and a dog
Visit our blog at www.ROWLESmade.com
Our trailer re-build thread

RwaSmith
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Vibe 308BHS that we picked up last year. We had leaks as well so I was like you disgruntled. Then I contacted the factory and talked to the Warranty manager Judd and he got me taken care of.

My TT is still under warranty and will be getting some more issues fixed next week just before the warranty runs out.

I believe they are put together so quickly that there will be some quality issues. I believe its this way with most manufactures. Its all about speed to market.
2016 Forrest River Vibe 308BHS
2010 Chevy Suburban 2500

ThomasFour
Explorer
Explorer
plasticmaster wrote:
I have a brand new Vibe camper by Forest River. I took delivery on February 20 and it already has leaks in at least 2 different places. I'm also getting moisture readings under the floor when I check it with a moisture meter. Dealer says they will fix leaks and resulting damage pending warranty approval from Forest River. I'm very disgusted that this brand new camper leaks after I've only had it a few weeks. For those experienced with Forest River warranty process, am I likely to get all this repaired under warranty? Closed up wet wood in a camper is very bad. Thanks for any advice.

Sorry to hear of you woes. Not an uncommon theme amongst RV buyers unfortunately. Past thread with similar discussion: http://www.rv.net/forum/index.cfm/fuseaction/thread/tid/28810750.cfm

3oaks
Explorer
Explorer
Oasisbob wrote:
This is disapointing. Would it not be better and cheaper to slow down and instill some pride back into the folks on the asembly line? I read about this kind of problem far too much.
I'm with you!

Even Northwood Mfg has their production issues. My 2016 Arctic Fox TT had plumbing problems, loose electrical connections, shabby caulking not covering exposed screw heads on the roof, sheared bolts on the roof ladder supports, etc.

When anyone purchases a brand new RV of any brand, it shouldn't be a "fixer upper" right from the start. :R

Apparently quality control is a thing of the past. ๐Ÿ˜ž

reppoc12
Explorer
Explorer
My experience has been if you have a decent dealer they will work with the manufacturer and make it right. If not, you need to work with the manufacturer directly. It sounds backwards, but my sense is that the manufacturers are more concerned about customer relations than the dealers. My previous dealings with Keystone were positive. The dealer took care of everything but it took time so I was calling the manufacturer to ensure the dealer was submitting the warranty requests and also asking if there was any other information I could provide etc.
I am working directly with Forest River now because my dealer was real close to useless. So far it has been positive. After numerous calls and emails we have an appointment for Mid-May. Downside is I have to drive it to Indiana. However if they fix everything we will be thrilled. This is after the dealer had it for 7 months and accomplished very little.
Good luck, I hope it works out well for you. Be prepared to stay involved. Don't drop it off and wait to hear from them.

midnightsadie
Explorer II
Explorer II
your in a mess ,not your doing, I,d talk to the manufacture, then the dealer ,work out some kind of a deal. THEN get rid of it.

goducks10
Explorer
Explorer
Get the leaks fixed. Could be fairly simple. If the underbelly is wrapped then ask for it to be removed and see if the insulation is wet. Let it dry out if so and replace the insulation. Lots of TT/5ers leak for various reasons. Doesn't make it right. But it happens. I don't think you have a lemon. Just go spend some time on different brand forums. You'll see all makes, models of different price points with leaks. Most of the time it's nothing more than a seal that's defective or maybe put on wrong.
Yeah it sucks that a brand new RV has to go back to the dealer to get fixed. Just part of the game IMO.
What's sad about all this is that once anyone gets their current RV all moded out and whatever warranty things fixed then you almost don't want to get another because you could end up with something worse.
On top of that they depreciate like there's no tomorrow.

buttetiful
Explorer
Explorer
plasticmaster wrote:
What are the chances of the dealer agreeing to give me a new one? Also, another brand new one could have leak issues as well.

The dealer would probably take it in on trade, but you would still lose money. Your warranty states that these issues are between you and the manufacturer. You may have better luck calling Forest River. They probably won't give you a new trailer. There is no lemon law on trailers. At least where I'm at.

Are you concerned that they won't fix it? Or that it won't be covered under warranty?

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
plasticmaster wrote:
What are the chances of the dealer agreeing to give me a new one? Also, another brand new one could have leak issues as well.

Well whatever but your chance is now not months down the road. If you settle for keeping it without even trying to get rid of it I'd be on it, in it and under it trying to be sure it's not a total pile of carp. Others have been on here with new rigs that were wasted right off the dealers lot with the dealer wanting to do major repairs. Grease meet wheel.

westend
Explorer
Explorer
Where are the leaks? If it was me, I'd have a pressurized leak test done. Sealtech is one company that does them or you can DIY with an adequate blower.
'03 F-250 4x4 CC
'71 Starcraft Wanderstar -- The Cowboy/Hilton

JWRoberts
Explorer
Explorer
We had a Forest River for two years. No leaks but many other problems caused us to trade it.

plasticmaster
Explorer
Explorer

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
If it's been sitting out on a lot it seems that it could very well be all the way down to the floor. I think I'd be asking for a new one. This isn't a warranty issue, this is an out the door problem. Gimee a new one.

buttetiful
Explorer
Explorer
I bought a Dutchmen and my window started leaking. It was my first time out. I didn't freak out, **** happens. Made a note of all the issues I had the first time out and dropped it off at my dealer.

Turns out the manufacturer installed the window upside down. Lovely. Service department was horrified.

I bought a brand new Wilderness and have yet to have a problem.

One of the things I tell people is that it's a house that moves. You're going to have issues, whether brand new or not. ๐Ÿ˜•