cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Brand new TT has sewage odor

Valkyrie1
Explorer
Explorer
Every once in awhile i get a whiff of nastiness outside the trailer,never been used yet. Any ideas? Still winterized. Am I smelling something else? Help the newbie.:-)
18 REPLIES 18

Valkyrie1
Explorer
Explorer
Just a quickie update,I looked inside the toilet and also gave a mighty sniff and didn't smell anything. The dealer says the doors are sealed until delivery so supposedly no one used the toilet.. The LP tanks are turned off and the batt fluids are all full. It's in the shop now for a few warranty issues so when I get the unit back I'll be running the shower etc to check for leaks. Give it a full workout before I go camping for the first time.

rbrumm
Explorer
Explorer
We had the problem of high sulfur water at a camp site. Forgot to drain the water heater and it smelled like crap. But I know you said you smell it outside the trailer.
2011 Ram Outdoorsman
2014 Rockwood 2909SS Emerald Package

cbconway
Explorer
Explorer
I have the same problem with my 6-month-old FR 21FBRS. We have only used the toilet to pee in and have never put toilet paper in it, yet are bothered by intermittent urine odors. We tried frequent cleaning, many chemicals (black & gray tanks), vent open/closed, fan off/on, & adding much more water. Nothing worked. Yesterday I returned it to the dealer for a fix. We plan to dry camp this summer, so a fix is crucial.
Quando Omni Flunkus Moritati ("When all else fails, play dead") -- Possum Lodge motto

2015 Flagstaff 8528RKWS fiver
2013 Ram 2500 CTD Laramie 4x4 CC SB Auto 3.42

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
Was the problem resolved?
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost
Reese Strait-Line Dual Cam Hitch

Amateur Radio K3EXU

mhsmith
Explorer
Explorer
Almost 8 months after buying ours, we had a bad sewage outside the trailer. Took it back under warranty and the "connector" or pipe between the toilet and black tank had cracked. Were unable to sit under the awning that weekend due to smell and flies everywhere.

martipr
Explorer
Explorer
Unless you picked the trailer up from the factory yourself you have no idea what it has been through. The delivery driver might have used the trailer to spend the night, used the toilet during rest stops, the toilet could have been used at the dealer facility, etc. It is easy to check, put a bucket under the dump valve and open it slowly.
Old Navy Chief (AOC) Retired Aircraft Mechanic/Inspector
2007 29' 27FBV Trail Bay V Series
2015 Dodge Ram 2500 Crew Cab 6.7 Cummins Diesel

Valkyrie1
Explorer
Explorer
I have done nothing to this TT but hook up ac to it, still have not flushed the winterize fluids,never ran water thru nothing. Only opened up the slides,watched some tv and listened to the radio,had the fridge running off AC,the LP tank valves are shut,been too cold today but I will check the batts tomorrow. Again its only been outside. Guess i can peak in the toilet with a flashlight..

opnspaces
Navigator II
Navigator II
Turn off the water and waterpump. Open the flush valve on the toilet and take a look. If you decide to use a flashlight, tie it to your wrist so you don't accidentally drop it into the tank.
2001 Suburban 4x4. 6.0L, 4.10 3/4 ton **** 2005 Jayco Jay Flight 27BH **** 1986 Coleman Columbia Popup

Valkyrie1
Explorer
Explorer
Weather is Colorado freaky,was 60's over the weekend, tomorrow expect 8-12 inches of snow.

Valkyrie1
Explorer
Explorer
I'll check the batteries and LP connections today. Yes this is outside the trailer,no odors inside.

CavemanCharlie
Explorer II
Explorer II
You said outside the trailer? Maybe someone did use facilities. Or, even just using the sink may create a smell in the tanks. That smell is gassing out the roof vents and when the wind is just right you are getting a whiff of it. If it's above freezing in your area I would add a few gallons of water to the tanks to dilute whatever is in there. That may help. There are also many different tank chemicals on the market and other methods to help control odors. Do a search on this site and you will find them.

skipnchar
Explorer
Explorer
COULD be the batteries off-gassing OR the delivery driver MAY have had an emergency on the way to the dealers facility ๐Ÿ™‚
2011 F-150 HD Ecoboost 3.5 V6. 2550 payload, 17,100 GCVWR -
2004 F-150 HD (Traded after 80,000 towing miles)
2007 Rockwood 8314SS 34' travel trailer

US Govt survey shows three out of four people make up 75% of the total population

rrupert
Explorer
Explorer
Was your trailer on display anywhere. I have helped my friend at RV shows and one thing we did was to tape the toilet seats shut so people, mainly their kids, would not use the facilities. A little bit in the tank can become mighty smelly. If it has been used make sure there is some water in the toilet bowel, that helps to seal off the valve and prevent odors from getting through.
Rich and Joyce
2018 Jayco Jay Flight 21QB
2012 Ford F150 4X4 Supercrew EcoBoost

Amateur Radio K3EXU

MWJones
Explorer
Explorer
I agree to check out for LP leak oder. It is about the same:E
M Jones
American and Texan by birth
Christian by the Grace of God