cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Broken Frame on a RAM 3500

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
You may have seen pics of this truck and camper floating around the interwbez for the last few weeks.

Here's an article about it that was published earlier today.

Broken Frame on a RAM 3500
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator
103 REPLIES 103

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
towpro wrote:
Just search internet on ram 3500 broken frames.

*Set width tag to 640 pixels

Just enough to be dangerous with the ole internet, eh?
I say โ€œehโ€ cause you probably donโ€™t know where aboots that pic was taken. But the clues are in my decidedly regional Canadian inflectionโ€ฆ.hahahaha
One thing is for sure, all the โ€œbroken frameโ€ pics out there, save for the ones due to rust on the poor folks that live in the salt belt are due to pretty extreme or repeated misuse or overloading. And itโ€™s not a Ram thing or a Ford thing. GMs and Yodas break too.
Not Nissans generally, but most people arenโ€™t silly enough to try to do real work with a Nissan product ! Lol
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
towpro wrote:
Just search internet on ram 3500 broken frames.

*Set width tag to 640 pixels

That frame failure sure doesn't look like a stress failure due to the very straight edge/line
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Groover wrote:
3 tons wrote:
towpro wrote:
Wonder if this is related to the Frame Flex (or lack of) shown in this video?

https://youtu.be/_f3CAnH7WIM

That clip demonstrates the uber strength of RAMโ€™s hydro-formed frame, but if used improperly, ainโ€™t nothing infallibleโ€ฆ

3 tons

Too stiff can be bad as it lets you get into the material fatigue zone more quickly. That may be why chassis/cab trucks use less rigid C-channel frames with thicker steel. Better to flex than break.

Yeahโ€ฆ.no.
Try cheaper, more versatile, and generally not subject to a great deal of torsion from off camber articulation. IE canโ€™t take a 1 ton where a Jeep would go and and canโ€™t take a tractor trailer where a 1 ton would go.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
Groover wrote:
3 tons wrote:
towpro wrote:

That clip demonstrates the uber strength of RAMโ€™s hydro-formed frame, but if used improperly, ainโ€™t nothing infallibleโ€ฆ

3 tons

Too stiff can be bad as it lets you get into the material fatigue zone more quickly. That may be why chassis/cab trucks use less rigid C-channel frames with thicker steel. Better to flex than break.

True enough, thatโ€™s why widgets need to be used per their manufacturerโ€™s stated ratings, though Iโ€™ll stop short of speculating on (e.g. as out side of my laneโ€ฆ) the purported merits of C-channel vs Hydro-formed frames - Fact is, none of us here are privy to whatever the โ€˜failure chainโ€™ was that took place - most likely it was due to a multiplicity of issuesโ€ฆJMO

3 tons

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
3 tons wrote:
towpro wrote:

3 tons

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
towpro wrote:

Iโ€™m sure you understand that mode of flexing is normal and expected. Hence the reason truck have a bed thatโ€™s detached from the cab vs a car or suv which isnโ€™t designed to carry as heavy of loads.
And actually that video is showing the (old) Ford frames which were still a c channel frame from the front x member back. Same basic frame design since the early Superdutys and a common basic design of all trucks (c channel) until the 2000s when fully boxed rear frames started on Dodges and GMs. Ford was late to that party by about 15 years.
Doesnโ€™t mean they could haul less load, but they did flex more torsionally than the fully boxed frames.
Speculating whether the fully boxed stiffer frame was even a secondary cause of the Baja guys broken truck is a stretch and most very likely had nothing to do with it.
Simply by the numbers. NONE of the trucks in the last however many decades that I can think of have had an abnormally large or defective amount of frame failures. Just different designs and in this case the fully boxed frame is stronger and newer technology if you want to call it that.
Or in other words that video is not newsworthy and Ford switched to fully boxed HD trucks in 2017. If it was bad then would seem ALL mfgs wouldnโ€™t have changed their designs and kept those similar changes for 5 to 20 years now.

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
towpro wrote:

3 tons

towpro
Explorer
Explorer

2022 Ford F150
Sold: 2016 Arctic Fox 990, 2018 Ram 3500, 2011 Open Range
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
jimh406 wrote:

You signature says you bought a Ford. What happened? ๐Ÿ˜„

Seriously though, I don't think this thread is about what brand we would buy.

I used to purchase Dodge/Ram for the Cummins. Plus I used to get friends and family pricing through my employer until Ram cleaned up that list and took my company off.
I changed jobs last year and now I get Xplan from Ford.
Before I started buying Dodge/Rams, we owned several Rangers in the 80's and my Wife continued to drive Fords. I went with a F150 Lariat.
2022 Ford F150
Sold Forest River Forester 2401R Mercedes Benz. when campsites went from $90 to $190 per night.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
towpro wrote:
I would buy another Ram 3500 in a heart beat and load it with a truck camper up all the way to GVWR of the actual vehicle when camper is fully loaded. But I would not take it into serious off road with all that weight on it, let along over loaded.

You signature says you bought a Ford. What happened? ๐Ÿ˜„

Seriously though, I don't think this thread is about what brand we would buy.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

towpro
Explorer
Explorer
I would buy another Ram 3500 in a heart beat and load it with a truck camper up all the way to GVWR of the actual vehicle when camper is fully loaded. But I would not take it into serious off road with all that weight on it, let along over loaded.
2022 Ford F150

3_tons
Explorer
Explorer
SpeedRacer350 wrote:
I'd rather over-truck than over-load.

Drawing conclusions from a picture of a frame failure without having any other supporting information seems a might impulsive, but for those so inclined, perhaps they should consider Military surplus??

3 tons

SpeedRacer350
Explorer
Explorer
I'd rather over-truck than over-load.
2013 GMC Sierra 3500 SLE Dually Crew Duramax | 2017 Wolf Creek 840 truck camper

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
^Yup seen all those. Iโ€™m on the internet too. Not an exclusive issue with Dodge. In fact by the sheer (lack of) numbers for any of the brands, and the obvious clues with some of them, that defects may or could be responsible for some failures, and that overloading, corrosion and blatant abuse are responsible for the majority.
For example that grungy white Ram dually. Thatโ€™s a Northern Alberta oil sands work rig.
Nothing more needs to be said about thatโ€ฆ.

Iโ€™m sure many of the speculators and hecklers here (and the rest of the internet since the Baja guy is now famous) DONT have a broad, lengthy or varied experiences using light duty trucks at or over their rated โ€œcapacitiesโ€ even randomly, much less, frequently.

The old adage โ€œstay in your laneโ€ seems to be appropriate here when trying to speculate.