cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Brophy on a new aluminum ford

Viken
Explorer
Explorer
Well I had a 2000 Chevy 1/2 ton with my truck camper and it had the happyjac on it. I do not want to drill into my new truck. Also getting a new camper just have not decided what one. We sold the old camper so mount went with it any way. Any thoughts guys. I'm just worried it will bend the bed. I did a look and most here do not use the 1/2 ton like I do so not many post on the new Ford F-150.
2021 Ram 3500. Torque t285 toy hauler
10 REPLIES 10

Viken
Explorer
Explorer
I just looked at north star and they seem real nice, but they are to heavy for my truck.

GeoBoy
Explorer
Explorer
Viken wrote:
Ya I think the torklift would be the best idea

Now that the tie downs are settled, why not look at a GREAT camper made in you home state? Give Rex Willett a call at Northstar truck campers.

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
I'm assuming we're talking about stake pocket tiedowns here?

I have a set that I scored mere hours before going to look at the TC I ultimately bought. Otherwise I would have had no way to tie the camper down for the trip home.

I had planned on using a short ratchet strap between the tiedown point on the camper and the stake pocket tiedown, but they were so close that there was no way that would work. So, I tossed a 2" load strap over the roof, front and back, and snugged them up against the tiedowns.

The camper did not even so much as wiggle on the trip home. No lifting. No pulling on my bedsides. Granted it's a popup, but I would have expected SOMETHING. I was resigned to some sort of bed damage, but nothing happened.

...and the outer fenders on my bed are PLASTIC, so the rails are only about 1/2 strength of a normal steel bed rail of the same era.

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

Viken
Explorer
Explorer
Ya I think the torklift would be the best idea

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
Deb and Ed M wrote:
If I actually owned one of those beautiful new Fords, I'd go with Torklift frame-mounted tiedowns.

X2

Absolutely go with Torklift - they attach to the steel frame of the truck, not the body, and there is no drilling required. Win - win. Completely solves your problem.
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

Deb_and_Ed_M
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use Brophy clamp-on tiedowns because I never know what truck will be carrying the 1000# camper - and in that respect, they work great. But their "solidity" depends on the strength of the truck's rail - and there's a remarkable amount of flex to those; enough so that I could watch the camper lifting/rocking as we went down the highway. It also made me wonder if the "feet" on the Brophys could somehow dent the bed from the inside out if the camper pulls upward hard enough? I've not seen that happen - but then again, all our trucks have had steel sides.

If I actually owned one of those beautiful new Fords, I'd go with Torklift frame-mounted tiedowns.

PS: the Brophy stake-pocket tiedowns require holes to be drilled in the truck.
Ed, Deb, and 2 dogs
Looking for a small Class C!

Viken
Explorer
Explorer
I'm looking at the travel lite 770 or the livin lite truck camper. Big difference in price and quality. About same weight for both. I'll be at around 1800 lbs. same as I was with my old truck camper.

Grit_dog
Navigator
Navigator
whizbang wrote:
What camper do you have?

I am using Torklift tiedowns on all four corners.

However, since my Jayco is so light weight, if I had it to do over again, I would probably do torklifts on the front tiedowns, and Happijacs on the rear bumper tiedowns.

Anyone with the last gen F150, 2009-14?, take a look at the rear bumper before putting tie down buttons on it. There's nothing there! Each bumper half is a little 2lb piece of tin with not much holding it on. Not being one piece, in itself, will limit the amount of uplift it can take, but that gen F150 is extremely poor.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5” turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

whizbang
Explorer II
Explorer II
What camper do you have?

I am using Torklift tiedowns on all four corners.

However, since my Jayco is so light weight, if I had it to do over again, I would probably do torklifts on the front tiedowns, and Happijacs on the rear bumper tiedowns.
Whizbang
2002 Winnebago Minnie
http://www.raincityhome.com/RAWH/index.htm

Viken
Explorer
Explorer
Just noticed my profile is way old. I will change that