cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

BRP travel

6pac
Explorer
Explorer
Well we started out going north on the back roads of Fl & Ga then a brief run on I95 then we were in Va an started on the Blue Ridge Park Way . At the higher elevations it was cooler than when we left Fl. While driving on the park way on one side of the mountain there would be rain and shortly we'd be on the other side and it would be fair. This went on for several days & nights finely after a week or so it got very nice. Of course after that it was time to head back to home. Had an enjoyable time in and out of state parks . The rates for elect/water sites ranged from 8$ / 21$ no comm camp sites on this trip.
Chevy 2006 2500HD 4 x 4 Duramax / Allison srw cc sb Fh air bags
Lance 2005 model 881 Max
Doriece & Ernest ( 6pac )
5 REPLIES 5

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Handbasket wrote:
If anybody's headed this way soon, you'll want to know that the BRP is closed in NC to all traffic from just north of Asheville to the entrance to Mt Mitchell SP, about 20 miles. 1 lane for about 1-200 yards is sliding off the mountain.

Possible detour routes from Asheville are either I-40 east, US 70 east, and NC 80 north; or I-40 east, US 221 north thru Marion to NC 226 north; or I-26 west, US 19E thru Burnsville, and either NC 80 south at Micaville or NC 226 south at Spruce Pine. Note that NC 80 either way is _not_ recommended for A's, TT's, 5'ers, or larger C's. It's OK but steep, curvy, & slow for TC's, small C's, and B's. NC 226 north from US 221 is a steep curvy climb.

Last I heard, they _may_ have it open by Labor Day weekend, with a short section of 1-lane controlled by traffic lights. You can check http://maps.nps.gov/blri/road-closures/; click on the section for Craggy Gardens.

Jim, "Sorry, I thought I heard Murphy's Law snickering."

Agree. 80, and 226 are NOT roads you want to use going UP from Marion. Use 221, and ride the BRP back to where you want to be.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Handbasket
Explorer
Explorer
If anybody's headed this way soon, you'll want to know that the BRP is closed in NC to all traffic from just north of Asheville to the entrance to Mt Mitchell SP, about 20 miles. 1 lane for about 1-200 yards is sliding off the mountain.

Possible detour routes from Asheville are either I-40 east, US 70 east, and NC 80 north; or I-40 east, US 221 north thru Marion to NC 226 north; or I-26 west, US 19E thru Burnsville, and either NC 80 south at Micaville or NC 226 south at Spruce Pine. Note that NC 80 either way is _not_ recommended for A's, TT's, 5'ers, or larger C's. It's OK but steep, curvy, & slow for TC's, small C's, and B's. NC 226 north from US 221 is a steep curvy climb.

Last I heard, they _may_ have it open by Labor Day weekend, with a short section of 1-lane controlled by traffic lights. You can check http://maps.nps.gov/blri/road-closures/; click on the section for Craggy Gardens.

Jim, "Sorry, I thought I heard Murphy's Law snickering."
'06 Tiger CX 'C Minus' on a Silverado 2500HD 4x4, 8.1 & Allison (aka 'Loafer's Glory')

bka0721
Explorer II
Explorer II
That is such a wonderful area to explore and it sounds like you had a great time doing what Truck Campers are perfect for.

Abbreviations work well for local people, but are meaningless to the majority. Like someone posting, I traveled around PI. Or, I traveled the UP. I had no idea what BRP meant, until I opened your thread. Hopefully you might make your posts more visible and thus have more visits and comments. Something like; Blue Ridge Pkwy Travel, to stay within the forum's character limitation.

b
(a.k.a. bryan)
08 F550-4X4-CC-6.4L Dsl-206"WB GVWR17,950#
09 Lance 1191
1,560wSolar~10-6vGC2-1,160AmpH~Tri-Star-Two(2)60/MPPT~Xantrex 2000W
300wSolar~2-6vAGM-300AmpH~Tri-Star45/MPPT~Xantrex 1500W
16 BMW R1200GSW Adventure
16 KTM 500 EXC
06 Honda CRF450X
09 Haulmark Trlr

Terryallan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Yep, Don't like the weather on the BRP? Go around the curve. It will be different.
Terry & Shay
Coachman Apex 288BH.
2013 F150 XLT Off Road
5.0, 3.73
Lazy Campers

Mote
Explorer
Explorer
Sounds like a good time.
What parks did you visit?
Any pictures to share ?
2005 Dodge 3500