cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buyers complaining about Ultra-Lite floor. What to do?

jungleexplorer
Explorer
Explorer
I am trying to sale my Ultra-Lite and I am getting a lot of lookers, but everyone of them is turned off by the floor. They say it feels spongy, and it does, but that is the way it was from day one, because it is an ultra-lite. Some have even started bouncing up and down on it saying, "Look! See how spongy it is!" When I try to convince them that it just way ultra-lite are, they say that they believe that there is water damage. But there never has been a leak. I am getting tired of showing it to people that get turned away by the floor and there is nothing I can do about it.

What can I put in my add to weed out these people that want and concrete rock hard floor?
1999 Minnie Winnie WF322R
28 REPLIES 28

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
jungleexplorer wrote:
When I was searching for this trailer, I was looking for an ultra-lite specifically. I walked in several TT before I bought this one. The first couple times I step on the spongy floor of an Ultra-Lite, I thought the exact same thing. Wow, this floor is spongy. I too turned away from those first two because of that. But by the third and forth ultra-lites, I came to realize, this is just the way they are, and bought this one. It does not bother me now, but I understand where the people are coming from.

I just wish had a way to prepare them for this.

Same as my sons. He said it was barely noticeable when he bought his used but his girlfriend at the time loved it and that may have clouded his judgement. He got rid of her and later married someone else so this TT could never stay around even if it had a concrete floor in it. ๐Ÿ™‚

jungleexplorer
Explorer
Explorer
When I was searching for this trailer, I was looking for an ultra-lite specifically. I walked in several TT before I bought this one. The first couple times I step on the spongy floor of an Ultra-Lite, I thought the exact same thing. Wow, this floor is spongy. I too turned away from those first two because of that. But by the third and forth ultra-lites, I came to realize, this is just the way they are, and bought this one. It does not bother me now, but I understand where the people are coming from.

I just wish had a way to prepare them for this.

time2roll
Nomad
Nomad
Probably a bad idea but I would consider giving a warranty that the floor is normal and offer to refund money if found otherwise.

Lwiddis
Explorer II
Explorer II
At 3,740 pounds dry and 22 feet I consider my Winnie an ultra light. A spongy floor is not normal. Have your floor inspected by pro and certified....if it's not a leak issue.
Winnebago 2101DS TT & 2022 Chevy Silverado 1500 LTZ Z71, WindyNation 300 watt solar-Lossigy 200 AH Lithium battery. Prefer boondocking, USFS, COE, BLM, NPS, TVA, state camps. Bicyclist. 14 yr. Army -11B40 then 11A - (MOS 1542 & 1560) IOBC & IOAC grad

carringb
Explorer
Explorer
What about installing laminate over the floor? Some of the systems are very rigid
2000 Ford E450 V10 VAN! 450,000+ miles
2014 ORV really big trailer
2015 Ford Focus ST

TomG2
Explorer
Explorer
On my Rockwood, I overlaid the original floor with 3/8" plywood. I was too lazy to do it, but vinyl or tile could have been applied to make it look good. I did it before the floor was real bad and removed the overlay before trading it in.

jungleexplorer
Explorer
Explorer
How accurate do you feel NADA Value is? Here is what it says about my TT.

colliehauler
Explorer III
Explorer III
I know what your talking about. I bought a new ultralight in 2003 and it had the same issues from day one a sponge floor. I traded it in after one trip. Trading it in might be your best bet. The only other thing you can do is add more reinforcement to the floor supports. Either way you'll take a loss. You might get lucky with someone that has knowledge of foam core floors and be able to sell at a discount.

gbopp
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
Although, you could RAISE the asking price 50% then when someone pulls that stunt you could "discount" it by 25% and in the end get more for it :B

Do you sell used cars and RV's for a living? :B :B

jungleexplorer
Explorer
Explorer
The average value of my RV is $6,547. I have it listed for $6,000 and am willing to go as low as $5,000. But once these people get in it and feel the floor, they don't want it at any price.

mike-s
Explorer
Explorer
If they're all that way from day 1, just invite any lookers to visit a dealer and check out a new one, then come back for a good deal.

Huntindog
Explorer
Explorer
Gdetrailer wrote:
jungleexplorer wrote:
I am trying to sale my Ultra-Lite and I am getting a lot of lookers, but everyone of them is turned off by the floor. They say it feels spongy, and it does, but that is the way it was from day one, because it is an ultra-lite. Some have even started bouncing up and down on it saying, "Look! See how spongy it is!" When I try to convince them that it just way ultra-lite are, they say that they believe that there is water damage. But there never has been a leak. I am getting tired of showing it to people that get turned away by the floor and there is nothing I can do about it.

What can I put in my add to weed out these people that want and concrete rock hard floor?

Have you considered that there MAY BE water damage and you have gotten used to the extra spongy feel?

Realistically it is a possibility.

Have you considered that your RV may not be priced realistically (IE over priced)? Sometimes it is hard to price something you own to sell, perhaps a trip to your local RV dealer for an appraisal may be in order..

Other than lowering the price (IE negotiate) there is not much you can do..

Although, you could RAISE the asking price 50% then when someone pulls that stunt you could "discount" it by 25% and in the end get more for it :B
It's not really a possibility. Those floors have very little wood in them. It's mostly foam, and it is a well known problem. If the little bit of wood there is in the floor was water damaged, you would fall right thru it.
Huntindog
100% boondocking
2021 Grand Design Momentum 398M
2 bathrooms, no waiting
104 gal grey, 104 black,158 fresh
FullBodyPaint, 3,8Kaxles, DiscBrakes
17.5LRH commercial tires
1860watts solar,800 AH Battleborn batterys
2020 Silverado HighCountry CC DA 4X4 DRW

Gdetrailer
Explorer III
Explorer III
jungleexplorer wrote:

Have you considered that there MAY BE water damage and you have gotten used to the extra spongy feel?

Realistically it is a possibility.

Have you considered that your RV may not be priced realistically (IE over priced)? Sometimes it is hard to price something you own to sell, perhaps a trip to your local RV dealer for an appraisal may be in order..

Other than lowering the price (IE negotiate) there is not much you can do..

azrving
Explorer
Explorer
Identical to what happened to my son with his 2008 Rockwood ultra light. People rightfully so instantly think water damage as they well should. It's an RV!!!!!

His started in front of the sink area and spread to toward the door which is the main travel path of course. He started out around $8500 iirc which I figured was top dollar. As he got tired of showing it to people he kept dropping the price. After a month or so he ended up getting $5800 from a guy who was going to live in it and needed one NOW.

He had one guy interested around $7200 but his wife wouldn't go for it and was stuck on water damage. The guy who bought it had his mother with him and she had snowbird experience so she understood what we were telling her. It's from the foam sandwich deteriorating not water. My son wanted to buy a FW so we were busy looking but 90% of what we looked at WAS water damaged. I didn't have time to try to fix it.

Sorry I cant offer much but good luck to you. Maybe you can say that it has a soft floor from foam deterioration and for people to search the issue on the web. It socks but just keep dropping the price or wait for the person who will deal with it. Everything sells, it's just a matter of price.