cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

buying a popup needing canvas

hertfordnc
Explorer
Explorer
So after a long and winding journey we've come back to the realization that a popup is probably the bext option for our family.

So looking around craigslist I find a 10-15 year-old Coleman in need of new Canvas is worth less than $500.

Meanwhile, a replacement canvas for, say, 2003 Coleman Utah is $1200

Is it misguided to think i could get myself into a decent popup under $2000 if I replace the canvas myself?

How big a project is it? We had an 85 Rockwood a long time ago and I don't recall the canvas attachment being very sophisticated.

THanks
Dave & Ellen Silva

Hertford, North Carolina

2002 Excursion
2007 Shamrock Hybrid
1972 Revcon
1976 GMC Birchaven (hot rod with plumbing)

Finding propane leaks with a match and towing in overdrive since 1987.
10 REPLIES 10

jerem0621
Explorer II
Explorer II
just be careful about the structure...make sure the roof is in good shape...the floor as well.

Thanks!

Jeremiah
TV-2022 Silverado 2WD
TT - Zinger 270BH
WD Hitch- HaulMaster 1,000 lb Round Bar
Dual Friction bar sway control

It’s Kind of Fun to do the Impossible
~Walt Disney~

VTR
Explorer
Explorer
Had a 1996 Coleman Popup, The canvas was tuff stuff, thick and lasted till we sold it. I have not seen canvas like that on the new ones. It was the Coleman Royale

Ryanincc
Explorer
Explorer
I've never heard a single complaint from many customers of Bear Creek Canvas. Call them and ask about it. There might be other options available. I've even heard of people buying sections over time with them.
2011 Coleman Sun Valley, 1997 4Runner V6

Big_Katuna
Explorer II
Explorer II
We helped our son replace his a few years ago. His in laws gave them a pop up.

It was not hard, lots of screwing. Turned out well. I think it was canvas replacements.com and I think it was around $1000.

I'll check with him and update if not correct.

It was made very well, precise fit, great quality.

One point is why is the old one bad? Theirs was mildewed up from a roof leak and stunk. Had to replace warped countertops but the floors were good.
My Kharma ran over my Dogma.

pigman1
Explorer
Explorer
My 1969 Starcraft needed new canvas about 6 years ago when my kids started to use it again. Got it from Starcraft and the change out was simple, but I sure wouldn't try to sew it up myself from scratch. Maybe a VERY good canvas fabricator (awning maker) could do it, but I'd think hard about it.
Pigman & Piglady
2013 Tiffin Allegro Bus 43' QGP
2011 Chevy Silverado 1500
SMI Air Force One toad brake
Street Atlas USA Plus

Sprink-Fitter
Explorer
Explorer
Do any of them even use canvas anymore?
2006 Coachman Adrenaline 228FB

2012 Can Am Commander XT 1000

BudRock
Explorer
Explorer
I had a 1984 coleman camper that I removed the canvas every year before storing for winter. It was an easy task. At most it was done in a half hour.

RoyB
Explorer II
Explorer II
The marine boats canvas shops are the places to go around here for canvas repairs etc...

My 2008 Starcraft RT14 model is still doing great...

Roy Ken
My Posts are IMHO based on my experiences - Words in CAPS does not mean I am shouting
Roy - Carolyn
RETIRED DOAF/DON/DOD/CONTR RADIO TECH (42yrs)
K9PHT (Since 1957) 146.52M
2010 F150, 5.4,3:73 Gears,SCab
2008 Starcraft 14RT EU2000i GEN
2005 Flagstaff 8528RESS

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Never had to replace the canvas when we had a pop up, but here is a short video showing the process...doesn't look all that hard.

How to replace a pop-up camper canvas...LINK

Good luck with it.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
DD has bought two tent trailers on Craigslist for less than three thousand each. Other than some cleanup and a little maintenance, neither has needed any canvas. And they have resold both for a profit. Keep searching for a good used one