cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying EC1160 - having weight anxiety ...

BoilerEE
Explorer
Explorer
I know, I know, not another "I'm intentionally overloading my truck - tell me it's OK!" thread, but yeah, that's where I'm going ... sorry!

OK, that being said, I'm getting ready to pull the trigger on an '07 Eagle Cap 1160, and I was all ready to accept that it was going to be heavy, but then I read Boatycall's weight thread saying his 1160 weighs like 7500# (!) Now, I know his rig is a bit different (batteries made of neutron star or something), and a newer model of 1160, but if this '07 is anywhere near that heavy even I'm going to be well past my comfort limit.

So, my rig is an '07.5 3500HD, D-max, dually, stock other than RS9000's, Firestone 'bags, and I just ordered the StabilLoads to add as well. Have TL tiedowns on it.

The GVWR of the truck is only 11,300, which I've exceeded in the past with minimal problems - I've been up and down the AlCan multiple times with the setup you seen in my sig which was just shy of 25k# GCVW. Before my previous adventures in overloading, I decided my personal limit was to stay under the wheel limit, which Accuride says is 2440/ea, so no more than 9760 on the rear, which is over GM's GRAWR of 8,200 but under the AAM1150's design load and under the tire limit (even though it's got the silly looking tiny 215/85/16s).

So I guess what I'm saying is, does anyone have experience with the same(ish) setup (like pre-'11 GM dually) or, ideally, a weight ticket for an older EC1160? Again, I was all ready to jump on this thing, but that "my EC1160 weighs 7500#s" is keeping me up at night.

BTW, the reason I don't just go try it out and drive over a scale before buying is that there aren't any big TC's up here in Alaska that I can find, so I'm doing this all long-distance down in Seattle and will probably have to make a decision with only my brother having put eyes-on it.

Thanks!
64 REPLIES 64

BoilerEE
Explorer
Explorer
kerry4951 wrote:

Try adding Stable Loads (not that expensive) and a good rear sway bar. That should help alot.
My SS's keep me riding a little high in the back also, but I have a very solid ride and no issues.

Actually, after taking it on a quick trip down the highway on Saturday, I'm about 95% happy with it as-is. Might think about the sway bar at some point but overall I think it's pretty good for now. I think I will spend some time practicing some "evasive maneuvers" in an empty parking lot to see how it actually would respond in a panic situation. Had a deer jump in front of me with the old S&S + 30'/10k# trailer and was pretty impressed that I was able to slam on brakes and steer pretty hard without needing to change my underwear afterwards, so hopefully this setup will be the same!

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
BoilerEE wrote:
805gregg wrote:
You need a 5500 truck for that monster, with 600lbs of freshwater, maybe you could qualify as a fire truck.

๐Ÿ™‚

A 5500 is in the long-term plan, but the 3500 will have to do for now.

Just put the SuperSprings on it yesterday and took a quick drive - it did raise the rear end about 1.5" unloaded, which isn't ideal, but the unloaded ride was pretty reasonable. In fact, if I hadn't put the springs on myself I'm not sure I would have noticed the change in ride. With the camper on it sits nice and level, actually with a bit of a rear-high stance, so I'm pretty happy with that. The ride is a bit more "wallowey" than it was without them, but that's probably just because now I'm back to having a normal amount of suspension travel instead of nearly sitting on the frame like before!

Anyway, overall I'm quite happy with the setup for now, but I will be looking for that Ram 5500 when it comes time to replace the truck ...

Try adding Stable Loads (not that expensive) and a good rear sway bar. That should help alot.
My SS's keep me riding a little high in the back also, but I have a very solid ride and no issues.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

BoilerEE
Explorer
Explorer
805gregg wrote:
You need a 5500 truck for that monster, with 600lbs of freshwater, maybe you could qualify as a fire truck.

๐Ÿ™‚

A 5500 is in the long-term plan, but the 3500 will have to do for now.

Just put the SuperSprings on it yesterday and took a quick drive - it did raise the rear end about 1.5" unloaded, which isn't ideal, but the unloaded ride was pretty reasonable. In fact, if I hadn't put the springs on myself I'm not sure I would have noticed the change in ride. With the camper on it sits nice and level, actually with a bit of a rear-high stance, so I'm pretty happy with that. The ride is a bit more "wallowey" than it was without them, but that's probably just because now I'm back to having a normal amount of suspension travel instead of nearly sitting on the frame like before!

Anyway, overall I'm quite happy with the setup for now, but I will be looking for that Ram 5500 when it comes time to replace the truck ...

Boatycall
Explorer
Explorer
805gregg wrote:

Thats funny...
'15 F450, 30k Superhitch, 48" Supertruss, 19.5's, Torklift Fast Guns
'12 Eagle Cap 1160, 800watts solar, Tristar MPPT, Magnum Hybrid 3k Inverter
'15 Wells Cargo 24' Race Trailer, 600 watts Solar, TriStar MPPT, Xantrex 2kw inverter
'17 Can Am X3 XDS Turbo

805gregg
Explorer
Explorer
2003 Dodge Quad Cab 3500 SRW LB Cummins diesel, Banks Six Gun, Banks exhaust, Mag hytec deep trans pan, and Diff cover. Buckstop bumper, Aerotanks 55gal tank, airbags, stableloads Bigwig stabilizer, 2003 Lance 1071 camper, solar and generator

BoilerEE
Explorer
Explorer
btggraphix wrote:
Hey Congrats on the purchase! Hadn't kept up around here but was wondering if you had pulled the trigger on anything yet and gllad to know you are back in business.
BoilerUp!

Thanks brother - good to be back!

BoilerEE
Explorer
Explorer
Fastbrit wrote:
Thanks Billtex I wont quit on them I will experiment. 80psi is so hard I can feel everything on pavement and when you hit a pot hole outch!!! For sure having 6000pd in the back dosent help I guess.

80 psi may or may not be necessary - just need to cross-check your actual loading vs. a chart like this: http://www.rvtirepressure.com/assets/images/extrapages/Michelin_Rv_Load_Inflation.pdf

If you can go lower pressure and still carry the load there is some advantage in that, as you've noted, the ride will be better, but also you'll be more resilient to road damage. I run 80psi in mine because it's got those silly 215/85-16s, so I'm near max load at 80 -- your 235/85's might be able to run less safely.

Fastbrit
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Billtex I wont quit on them I will experiment. 80psi is so hard I can feel everything on pavement and when you hit a pot hole outch!!! For sure having 6000pd in the back dosent help I guess.
1997 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD. Timbrens all around, Bilstein shocks.
2014 Chalet TS116

billtex
Explorer II
Explorer II
Fastbrit wrote:
billtex wrote:
Fastbrit wrote:
Just came back home with my new Chalet TS116FB and air bags were useless.Even at 100 psi they didnt lift the rear.

Somethin' ain't right...
IIRC those bags are rated to lift 5000# each!
You sure about that?

BTW...nice rig...those Chalets sure are tall!

Thanks.Air lift air bags are rated at 5000pd total. The only thing that the bags did is to make the truck unstable without any lift at 100psi. On the picture the truck sits on the timbrens. Tires were at 80 psi all around but the rear was set at 60 after some driving.

Airbags are great...but they do take some expirimentation to dial in. If you were unstable at 100 psi (which is MAX for airbags) you should start from the bottom and work your way up before you try anything else. Go down to 10 psi (or the min it takes to level side2side) and then go up from there if needed. You already have the airbags, may as well try to make them work.
Our last TC I ran at 20/45, the new Eagle Cap only requires 10/15.

I would still run your tires at 80 psi regardless of what you do to suspension.

That's my $0.02.

Bill
2020 F350 CC LB
Eagle Cap 850
25'Airstream Excella
"Good People Drink Good Beer"-Hunter S Thompson

Fastbrit
Explorer
Explorer
billtex wrote:
Fastbrit wrote:
Just came back home with my new Chalet TS116FB and air bags were useless.Even at 100 psi they didnt lift the rear.

Somethin' ain't right...
IIRC those bags are rated to lift 5000# each!
You sure about that?

BTW...nice rig...those Chalets sure are tall!

Thanks.Air lift air bags are rated at 5000pd total. The only thing that the bags did is to make the truck unstable without any lift at 100psi. On the picture the truck sits on the timbrens. Tires were at 80 psi all around but the rear was set at 60 after some driving.
1997 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD. Timbrens all around, Bilstein shocks.
2014 Chalet TS116

Sheriffdoug
Explorer
Explorer
BoilerEE wrote:
Fastbrit wrote:
Just came back home with my new Chalet TS116FB and air bags were useless.Even at 100 psi they didnt lift the rear. Rear and front timbren did a very nice job and the truck handle fine crusing at 65mph.

Awesome! I love seeing impossibly-big looking TC's on trucks - I thought my old S&S 11DB looked big on my old '01 Dodge, but I think your Chalet takes the cake!

And I'm not surprised your airbags didn't do much - mine barely lifted the overloads off their perches with the EC on there.

The Timbrens on the rear act to engage the overload springs earlier, but front Timbrens act to stiffen up the front springs, as unloaded the Timbrens/front bump stops disengage the axel, however when loaded the Timbren immediately engages the chassis to the axel, stopping porposing, firming up the front end. The Timbren becomes a very firm shock absorbing addition to and enhance front springs and shockabsorbers.

I still get slight sway, but the whole truck is firm and feels like it is gliding on the road.

Cheers.
2012 Ram 4x4 Crew Laramie LB 3500 HO Auto diesel
Eagle Cap 1160 Super Springs Big Wig Sway Bar Front Timbrens, Fastguns
RearCam SolarPnl Expdtion Shvel/Axe Kit
Thermopane Windows,, Dcted Heat & R/cycle aircon
Genset WoblStopprs

btggraphix
Explorer
Explorer
Hey Congrats on the purchase! Hadn't kept up around here but was wondering if you had pulled the trigger on anything yet and gllad to know you are back in business.
BoilerUp!
2006 LanceMax 1191 - loaded and well-used
2005 C4500/Kodiak 4x4, GVWR 17,500

kerry4951
Explorer
Explorer
You will be much better off with Supersprings. I use them with my rig and they work well. I also installed air bags right before I bought the TC because thats what everyone was recommending at the time. It was a waste of money for me because I never had to use them. SS's, lower stable loads,rear sway bar, and better shocks work very well for me. My AF 1140 is also a very heavy TC.
2009 Silverado 3500 dually D/A, Supersprings, Stable Loads, Bilsteins, Hellwig Sway Bar.
2010 Arctic Fox 1140 DB, 220 watts solar, custom 4 in 1 "U" shaped dinette/couch, baseboard and Cat 3 heat, 2nd dinette TV, cabover headboard storage, 67 TC mods

BoilerEE
Explorer
Explorer
RichieC wrote:
BoilerEE wrote:
billtex wrote:
boiler...how do you like your new EC?

Awesome so far! . . .Only issues I can even complain a little about so far are the seals on the bottom of the slides are a joke - . .

There's a cure for that!
3tons did a brilliant mod and posted it on the EC owners forum.
Definitely worth a look at: Curing slide out drafts

Thanks! I'll check that out because I definitely need to get a solution for it since we intend to use it year-round up here.

BoilerEE
Explorer
Explorer
Sheriffdoug wrote:
BoilerEE,
You,ll be amazed with the Super Springs 5000+ Commercial from Michigan Truck Spring. Do not raise camper too high, but sit firm.
I also have front Timbrins & Helliwig Big Wig Sway Bar.
Good Luck, Doug.

Yep, I decided to give them a go based largely on your rec. I think my front end is good to go since the GC on mine is actually a bit aft of the axle, which I don't particularly like, but it does keep weight off the front end, which is a weak spot of my year GMC - FGAWR is only 4800# and I'm nearly there unloaded.