Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Buying used.... Considerations

FreebirdFlies
Explorer
Explorer
Buying used. Just be very aware.......
What precipitated this post was a statement that when buying a used camper at a good (read low) price, what your doing is your buying the appliances...., and getting the camper for free. (Paraphrased, another thread/topic). I bought used last summer, at what I thought was a "fair" price. Everything worked. I was happy....
As fate would have it, I just replaced both the refrigerator $$$ and water heater $$ in my 1 owner previously owned, litely used, 98 Northern Lite, and this is right before I'm heading south (TX) for six weeks. Not the most convenient time.
The camper had the original Dometic 6 cf. 3 way frig. It functioned for us from last summer till a couple weeks ago. Yes, they (tech) coulda replaced the "guts" (lost refrigerant, indications of more problems), but, if the controller board then went out (which can/does happen) we would have had a new frig price into an old frig with no warranty.
The water heater functioned fine when new to us, but it was on its last legs (lotta rust on tank, especially at fittings), and not worth the hassle to keep it going, so bit the bullet and installed a new Atwood tankless.
Furnace is looking good....for now.
I still have significantly less than half of a new Northern lite into it, so, I'm ok. But it went from a pretty good deal, to "not so great" rather fast!

Just be aware, RV appliances are spendy items, and do NOT last indefinitely.
I was just in the Seattle area at an RV dealer's repair shop with a friend, and $130/hour was the posted shop rate. That rate is to install those expensive new appliances. I'm rural, so not quite that bad a shop rate, but still significant.

NOT trying to discourage anyone from buying used. Just realize that the purchase price can be only a part of the expense of getting, and keeping, a functioning camper/RV.
Some purchasers have been very fortunate with their purchases holding up mechanically. Good for them.....but don't DEPEND on it
24 REPLIES 24

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
All that matters is that the one you have workS.

RVs have remarkably different amounts of use for the same age and also receive different amounts of maintenance and care. One thing about TCs is they don't even have a speedometer or Carfax to make a judgement.

Even newer RVs can have issues, but it seems like you got a good one! Have fun!

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

NRA Life Member, CCA Life Member

Richandtd
Explorer
Explorer
Our adventure with the 98 caribou has just began. As of right know all systems work even the 3.4 kw gen. Reading all the replies here really make me wonder not about me decesion to buy a used unit but all the remarks about buying newer or new. Time will be the true test as to if I did or did not make a good investment. I wish all a Very Merry Christmas.
2007 Ram 3500 DRW 5.9 diesel 4x4 Bilstein shocks and steering stabilizer
Torklift tie downs
1998 Fleetwood Caribou 11M 3.4 kW generator
Two year old Boston Terrier Yes I'm a dog person

Downwindtracke1
Explorer
Explorer
The other half of that quote talked about what you could expect from a free camper.
Adventure before dementia

FreebirdFlies
Explorer
Explorer
Update by OP:
BRAND NEW Norcold refrigerator not working. Needs repair. It will not stay lit... Just "woofs", and dies.... Repeatedly.
Yes, under warranty....., but a non working refrige full of food is frustrating! And not cheap.
We are in Moab traveling south. The installer had me try several (simple) things to "correct" its reluctant ways on the way down, but no joy.
Arranging service on our way south.... ๐Ÿ˜ž

Update - later that same day, but post is yet another day later:
Camping World tech in Albuquerque fixed the fridg. Took him about 15 seconds to sort it out, then "fix" it.
The igniter was too far from the gas outlet (from the factory). The gas would make a very small "ball" of gas, then ignite with enough oomph (the woof) to blow out the flame.
He bent the igniter closer, now it ignites the small flame (as intended), so it is consistently working/cooling now. The igniter is buried/protected enough the installers didn't bump, or mess with it.
Very frustrating. Obviously my installers did not test the unit on propane after installation. ๐Ÿ˜ž grrrr

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
That makes $5000 for rem engine,
$10,000 for the swap
$1000 for shipping both ways.
Bought the truck for $7k about 4 years ago.
I think I better put money in rebuilding my camper.

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:
I am getting $6000 quotes for head gaskets on my Powerstroke. HG on 6l are "kind of" maintenance item ๐Ÿ˜‰

I think you can buy a remanufactured engine for that much and have it installed which should include ARP studs. http://www.ashevilleengine.com/ for one.

'10 Ford F-450, 6.4, 4.30, 4x4, 14,500 GVWR, '06 Host Rainer 950 DS, Torklift Talon tiedowns, Glow Steps, and Fastguns. Bilstein 4600s, Firestone Bags, Toyo M655 Gs, Curt front hitch, Energy Suspension bump stops.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
jimh425 wrote:

Luckily, we don't have that level of complexity on anything other than German made RV chassis yet although the trucks can be pretty complex.

Campers are not much of moving machinery, but I am getting $6000 quotes for head gaskets on my Powerstroke.
HG on 6l are "kind of" maintenance item ๐Ÿ˜‰

jimh406
Explorer III
Explorer III
Kayteg1 wrote:
Wife Mercedes has brakes pump, where after a number of pushes the computer calls for replacement.
$1900 maintenance item.

Luckily, we don't have that level of complexity on anything other than German made RV chassis yet although the trucks can be pretty complex.

Kayteg1
Explorer
Explorer
Bad luck can happen even on 1 year old camper, where appliances went out of warranty last Monday.
I am fix-it man and can afford to have used stuff, that I could never afford new.
Just last year for my house I spend $200 for refrigerator that cost $7,000 new.
$12 for shrader valve + $4 for refrigerant and it runs for a year just fine while LOOKING GOOD.
That said camper body can have a cancer that you will not see till you start digging.
Small leak neglected for couple of winters can turn in major structural remodeling, regardless aluminium frame as I experienced on my Fleetwood.
Campers are still cheap to fix.
Wife Mercedes has brakes pump, where after a number of pushes the computer calls for replacement.
$1900 maintenance item.

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
Reality Check wrote:
Average life expectancy of a compact fridge is something like 4 years (...average...., full size 9-13yrs). And that is for something sitting in a structure, not rolling down the road going bumpity bump.

You're right; don't count on it. But I propose that when buying used, one is buying the structure and a wish that the appliances last longer than usual.

Most of us see '98 as just the other day. But it wasn't.

Lol yes. I think you're buying the structure though not the appliances, gotta make sure that's solid and if you don't have to replace mechanical things that's a bonus.
No reason to expect a 17 year old RV fridge to be like the day it rolled out of the factory.
Having moved/bought 8 homes in 20 years, my rule had always been to buy new or nearly new homes. Went against my rule on the last house and have had a lot more work to do as a result of that. It was the right choice from an instant equity/future equity standpoint but no different than anything else you buy. Newer typically means less repair cost/work.
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

HMS_Beagle
Explorer
Explorer
Given the build quality of RVs (even high end ones) you really are far better off learning to fix them yourself. Like many industries, there is no shortage of low cost repair labor, it is just all high priced :). As I told my wife, if we ever run out of money I can always open an RV repair business. The work is endless and the standards are low!
Bigfoot 10.4E, 2015 F350 6.7L DRW 2WD, Autoflex Ultra Air Ride rear suspension, Hellwig Bigwig sway bars front and rear

tmartin000
Explorer
Explorer
OK
2001 Lance 835. SOLD
2009 Lance 1191. SOLD
2021 Lance 1172

Bedlam
My feeling is that if you're inclined to do your own work, used is the way the way to go to get the best value. If you have to pay someone to do the work because you cannot or have no place to do the work, you are better off with new.

Host Mammoth 11.5 on Ram 5500 HD

COboondocker
Explorer
Explorer
buying new can be just as much of a risk, which i wasn't aware of. our eagle cap (bought new end of Feb 2015) has already spent over 50 days in the shop and is currently there. beyond disappointed in the quality of a "new" truck camper. problems with both appliances and structure.

edit to add: essentially we paid 40k for the thing to spend more time in the shop than we've camped in it.