cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Camper window for aft of cab leaks

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, the camper window that is at the rear of the truck cab leaks water. Went through a rain shower and apparently the pressure helps to move the water through the cracks in the window into the camper area. Wetted the carpet next to the window pretty well.

What is the solution for this. Tape the window? Replace the window with a solid piece? Really don't see using the window for anything except maybe ventilation. Guess a person could always pull over, or just put up with it.
28 REPLIES 28

GTO66
Explorer II
Explorer II
My leaked also after a few years. I was able to slow it by forcing some rope between the glass and the frame. Now a hand towel on the step takes care of the rest. My breakers and convertor is under the step so water from that window could be a real problem.

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
The camper window is above the top of the cab or a boot would be a good idea.

larrybluhm
Explorer
Explorer
You might consider a window boot to (mostly) eliminate the issue. Most manufacturers offer one as an accessory and they aren't necessarily make/model specific. The removable pass-through window on my Northstar Laredo did well with water before I "got the boot" but blew out a couple of times if the latch wasn't very carefully closed. The pass-through is mostly kept open since the boot and heat/AC will pass back to the camper while on the road. I can also wiggle through if sufficiently motivated...
2011 Northstar LaredoSC, solar/'04 Dodge 2500, Cummins.

_1Flyboy
Explorer
Explorer
.....THANKS for the pictures CA & JOE!....

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
kohldad wrote:
The only thing that worked so far was a a piece of sheet metal that went from above the window to about 1/3 of the way down. That was only held on with tape so only lasted about an hour in the down pour but long enough to prove it solved the water intrusion.

This is what I came to the conclusion would work. Maybe something clear like is used on the vent covers. Would have to extend down past the top of the cab line so about a 1/3 of the way down would work, maybe half. Somebody want to make some money their is the opportunity.

Either that or a marine window. If I could find one of those to fit the hole.

My window is 22” edge to edge. Too bad half of a fantastic fan lid is not wide enough.

Joe417
Explorer
Explorer
I took a picture but my phone didn't cooperate well in the dark. I couldn't get the contrast where you can see much.

It's just a piece of J channel with the nail holes cut off.

This has worked well for our TC. We've gotten into some real heavy driving rain and have had no issues since installing it about 6 years ago.
Joe and Evelyn

kohldad
Explorer III
Explorer III
I bought a joint of white vinyl siding "J" channel, cut it to length, enough to drain the water outside the bed area on either side, and cut off the portion with nailing holes, just enough to make a straight edge.

I tried this and it didn't work. I then used a torch to heat up the vinyl and staighten it out so it hung lower, still does not work. The only thing that worked so far was a a piece of sheet metal that went from above the window to about 1/3 of the way down. That was only held on with tape so only lasted about an hour in the down pour but long enough to prove it solved the water intrusion.

Based on the comments here about the suction, I think the next time I travel in rain I'm going to tape some toilet tissue on the inside of both windows so it hangs just clear of the bottom. This will let me know if the water is being sucked up through the weep holes or leaking in through a different spot.
2015 Ram 3500 4x4 Crew Cab SRW 6.4 Hemi LB 3.73 (12.4 hand calc avg mpg after 92,000 miles with camper)
2004 Lance 815 (prev: 2004 FW 35'; 1994 TT 30'; Tents)

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
I went for a ride in a light rain shower. Taped the weep holes with some electrical tape is the only thing I can do at the moment. The water line where it hits the camper is 2-3" below the top of the window and above so any leak is going to get pulled into the camper. Didn't seem to take on any water yet but we'll see, don't think the taping weep holes is going to help, and may be a bad idea if the tracks overflow!

Another thought is that the rear of the camper provides so much drag, if the rear entry door is not sealed well or there is any other opening on the rear that suction can pull the air from within the camper through any openings, providing an entry point for the water.

CAJW
Explorer
Explorer
#1Flyboy wrote:
... Does Joe417 have pictures for everyone with this issue?.. TIA Joe 417

I’m sure his looks something like this. I purchased mine at Lowes and used double sided tape to install. Tape seems to give up after a year or two, but replacing it takes a couple of minutes and you’re good to go for another few years.

Click For Full-Size Image.

Clicky
2013 AF 996, 2013 Chevy 3500 CC,LWB,4X4, Duramax, DRW, 3.73 rear, Torklift Stableloads & Tie-downs,Fast Guns, Ride Rite Air Bags, Superhitch w/ 32" extension.Big Wigs, Front Timbrens, TST TPMS-507,CubbyCam, Trimetric. TM & SC 2030 150W + 100W suitcase

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
Might nix the rain gutter idea. The Bigfoot window is offset left and raised. The top is only a couple inches from the radius where it turns down and it is above the top of the truck cab. Can't do anything with it on the outside til it comes off the truck anyway.

Funny that they go to all the work of making them rain/water proof and the windows are not. How long they been making them?

I always did like the older style that opened and shuttered from the bottom. These sliders are kind of the shitz.

sourdoughben
Explorer
Explorer
Those camper slider windows are a bad design IMO. Weep holes by design are there to let water out from behind the glass retainer rubber. Only seal is a 1/8” bead of sealer at the glass to frame. In a prefect world this should work. But it’s that 1/‘8” seal that fails and lets water in. Fix is to remove glass and reseal or replace the whole window unit. But the slider window is problematic, probably why mine had a two yr. warranty.

Marcela
Explorer
Explorer
Think I remember a couple Lance campers I had and maybe one or both had the rain gutter. Think I might find something and silicone it on above the window and see what happens. Maybe it is the water that migrates from the front along the hangover and onto the window then into the window track that is the problem.

And all of my vents were closed with additional inside covers btw.

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
deltabravo wrote:
dhull wrote:
Mine did same thing, leaked when travelling in rain. Northwoods replaced mine with a 1 piece at the dealer. Dealer said it was a known problem, especially when mounted to a new Chevy! Yep hard to believe.

Yep, it is a common problem. Dealer is correct.

My dealer told me to leave a roof vent slightly open to eliminate the negative pressure in the camper while driving, which causes water to get sucked in through the front window.
I've heard the same issue from several dealers and quite a few members in a ruck camper group I'm in.

Later remembered that the time the window leaked was the first time I traveled without leaving the bathroom vent slightly open.

When I upgraded my other windows, I replaced the sliding front window with a solid window.

I miss the slider though. It was a great source of ventilation during inclement weather.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator

deltabravo
Nomad
Nomad
dhull wrote:
Mine did same thing, leaked when travelling in rain. Northwoods replaced mine with a 1 piece at the dealer. Dealer said it was a known problem, especially when mounted to a new Chevy! Yep hard to believe.

Yep, it is a common problem. Dealer is correct.

My dealer told me to leave a roof vent slightly open to eliminate the negative pressure in the camper, which causes water to get sucked in through the front window.

I then remembered that the time the window leaked was the first time I traveled without leaving the bathroom vent slightly open.

When I upgraded my other windows, I replaced the sliding front window with a solid window.

I miss the slider though. It was a great source of ventilation during inclement weather.
2009 Silverado 3500HD Dually, D/A, CCLB 4x4 (bought new 8/30/09)
2018 Arctic Fox 992 with an Onan 2500i "quiet" model generator