http://www.goevergreenrv.com/page/180/A231RKB
GVWR: 5495
Dry Weight: 3950
Dry Tongue Weight: 363
Overall Length: 26'3

With this tow vehicle
2010 Chevy Tahoe LS 2WD
Axle: GU6 - REAR AXLE, 3.42 RATIO
Trailering Pkg: K5L - TRAILERING PACKAGE, HEAVY-DUTY includes KNP external transmission oil cooler and KC4 engine oil cooler, provides increased trailering capabilities Includes GU6 3.42 rear axle ratio
Max Trailer Wt: 8400
Max Trailer Tongue Wt: 1000
GVWR: 7100
Max Payload 1733
Axle Capacity Fr: 3200
Axle Capacity Rear: 4100
Tires: P265/70R17
Third row seats that came with it have been removed. They must weight ~75 lbs. Maybe more

I am looking for trailers that I can tow safely with this vehicle. I'm aware that Tahoe's are not the best tow vehicles. Please comment and/or offer alternative TTs.
25 REPLIES 25

APT
Explorer
Explorer
Good combo. Approved by card carrying member of the weight police. Get a WDH with integrated sway control like Equal-i-zer 4-pt or Reese Strait Line. While all "equalizers" attempt to do the same thing, they do not all have the same effectiveness.
A & A parents of DD 2005, DS1 2007, DS2 2009
2011 Suburban 2500 6.0L 3.73 pulling 2011 Heartland North Trail 28BRS
2017 Subaru Outback 3.6R
2x 2023 Chevrolet Bolt EUV (Gray and Black Twins)

goukcats
Explorer
Explorer
Previously towed a Cougar X-Lite with a 2006 Tahoe 4X4. Added an equalizer w/anti-sway bar, brake controler, & CIPA mirrors. My RV was a little longer & approx 700 more weight. I didn't push it in the mtns (w/the 342) but it did ok.

Your combo should be pretty good. Just control your speed going down the mtns because the Tahoe wheelbase is short.
Wayne & Sheryl
Plus Ollie & Sophie
(they don't know they're dogs)
2011 Ram Laramie 2500 CC 4X4 6.7 Cummins
2015 Columbus 320

"Where ever you go, there you are" Buckaroo Banzai

rdrector
Explorer
Explorer
Towed with a Tahoe about same weights several years ago. It did ok, only complaint I have is the 3.42 gears. If it had a 3.73 I think it would have made for a really nice tow vehicle within weights. It really could have used that little extra when starting out on hills.

Only reason I got rid of it at the time though was I didn't want to ruin the enterior with the camping gear.
2013 Jayco Eagle 324 BTS
2010 KZ Spree 318BHS
2006 KZ Frontier 2405
2007 Dodge Quad 4x4 CTD 4.10

Road_Ruler
Explorer
Explorer
I agree, Tahoe's are not the best tow vehicles but will work for you if you set it up right.

For that size of trailer and for the sake of stability suggest you consider a higher end hitching system like the Hensley or Pro Pride connection systems.

Also be sure to upgrade the weak factory GM receiver if it has not already been done.

MartyMoose
Explorer
Explorer
You won't even know it's back there. Pulled a 6k (empty) 26ft on a few long trips. Of course, your hitch setup needs to be correct.
I tow with a Yukon XL and I don't notice the difference in the wheelbase.
2014 Heartland 305RW Road Warrior

2012 Ford F250 Lariat

Bears_Den
Explorer
Explorer
I use to tow with a Tahoe and had no problems. Plenty of power and cargo space, as stated just don't overload the Tahoe when towing. I had an Equalizer WDH setup on mine. I now tow with an F150 and the longer wheel base does make a difference but as I stated the Tahoe did fine.
2014 Kodiak 279 rbsl
2017 Ford F-150 King Ranch V8
Equalizer hitch
Ford integrated brake controller
2004 Travel Lite 23S Hybrid Travel Trailer ( previous trailer )
1998 Viking Popup ( previous trailer )

No substitute for experience

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Pick your choice of equalizers. Pretty much all do the same

mike4951
Explorer
Explorer
Mirror extensions and trailer brake controller, of course

mike4951
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks Don. What anti-sway would you recommend? Any other Tahoe upgrades necessary?

downtheroad
Explorer
Explorer
Good combination...just watch the payload by not overloading with Tahoe with people and gear.
"If we couldn't laugh we would all go insane."

Arctic Fox 25Y
GMC Duramax
Blue Ox SwayPro

donn0128
Explorer II
Explorer II
Should pull great as long as you don't have the Tahoe loaded to the max too.