cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Can someone explain this?

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
Well I guess that everyone checked out of the thread where I posted this because no one seemed to answer it and the thread died shortly there after(unless no one had an answer). So here is to hoping that a new thread will get new looks and maybe an explanation.

Can someone explain this? This F350 has a lower front GAWR, lower rear GAWR, and lower combined GAWR yet has a higher GVWR than my 2500. Kind of goes along with what I have been saying about some(not all) class 2B(250/2500) diesel trucks are de-rated due EPA and federal max GVWR numbers of their class rather than their actual carrying ability, but I would love to hear anyone else's explanation or guess.

2017 F350
Front GAWR: 5,600
Rear GAWR: 6,340
Combined GAWR: 11,940
GVWR: 11,500

My 2014 Ram 2500
Front GAWR: 6,000
Rear GAWR: 6,500
Combined GAWR: 12,500
GVWR: 10,000

I can see how this GM 3500 got its 11,500 GVWR rating even though it has a lower front GAWR then mine. The Ram 3500 SRW has just about the same rating, but with a 6,000 front GAWR and a 7,000 rear GAWR.

2018 GM 3500
Rear GAWR: 7,050
Combined GAWR: 12,650

2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD
2016 BMW 2.0L diesel (work and back car)
2023 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon 3.0L Ecodiesel

Highland Ridge Silverstar 378RBS
58 REPLIES 58

CapriRacer
Explorer II
Explorer II
demiles wrote:
โ€ฆโ€ฆ Iโ€™m not going to continue to play the โ€œtell me what I want to hearโ€ game.

Turns out you were right!

CapriRacer

Visit my web site: www.BarrysTireTech.com

Me_Again
Explorer II
Explorer II
MFL wrote:
Grit dog wrote:
Shiner, your preaching to the choir, this horse is beat down dead. (But you were looking for the debate when you started the thread anyway)

Yup, Grit has nailed it again!

I can remember someone, I think a Mod, maybe Barney, posting a pick of a dead horse, upside down on it's back.

I,m just going to add my .02, that I have posted before. If only the folks towing an RV, staying within all/every rating of the TV, were allowed on the public roadways, I'd not need a camping reservation, even on Holidays. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jerry

Yep, throw LT265/75R16E on those 6" wide early Duramax 2500 GM's and you are ready to tow just about anything to Arizona for the winter. Saw a lot of it over our 10 winters there.
2021 F150 2.7 Ecoboost - Summer Home 2017 Bighorn 3575el. Can Am Spyder RT-L Chrome, Kawasaki KRX1000. Retired and enjoying it! RIP DW 07-05-2021

MFL
Nomad II
Nomad II
Grit dog wrote:
Shiner, your preaching to the choir, this horse is beat down dead. (But you were looking for the debate when you started the thread anyway)

Yup, Grit has nailed it again!

I can remember someone, I think a Mod, maybe Barney, posting a pick of a dead horse, upside down on it's back.

I,m just going to add my .02, that I have posted before. If only the folks towing an RV, staying within all/every rating of the TV, were allowed on the public roadways, I'd not need a camping reservation, even on Holidays. ๐Ÿ™‚

Jerry

Grit_dog
Nomad III
Nomad III
2016 Ram 2500, MotorOps.ca EFIlive tuned, 5โ€ turbo back, 6" lift on 37s
2017 Heartland Torque T29 - Sold.
Couple of Arctic Fox TCs - Sold

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
nickthehunter wrote:
Iโ€™ll tell him (hopefully once he hears it heโ€™ll be done).
Shiner - you are indeed smarter than the manufacturers. The manufacturerโ€™s engineers are stupid and know nothing about the products they are designing. You indeed have figured it out and everyone here should ignore the manufacturerโ€™s ratings and go by the โ€œSihiner Ratingsโ€ instead.

Actually I used to work for said manufactures and on the dealership level for over 20 years now. One of my jobs throughout those years was to spec out trucks for our medium and heavy duty customers to ensure they were well within their axle ratings and legal for what they were using their truck for.

It was not uncommon to take a class 7 or 8 truck and de-rate it for a customer to class 6 so they did not have to pay higher registration costs. Many of these customers only needed the class 7 or 8 capabilities off road and were generally empty on road. So yeah, I know how common it is to de-rate a trucks GVWR even though the truck itself can handle more just for registration purposes.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
demiles wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
demiles wrote:
A single axle weight rating alone doesnโ€™t necessarily dictate vehicle performance as a whole. Here is some information about GVWR vs AWR from Bob Raybuck Director of Technical Services NTEA.

โ€œThereโ€™s a common misconception that a truckโ€™s GVWR is determined by adding gross axle weight ratings (GAWRs) together for all axles. Although this was a common way of calculating GVWR many years ago, itโ€™s no longer an accurate method. The chassis manufacturer task of establishing a vehicle GVWR is much more difficult today due to advancement of safety system standards and how vehicles meet these requirements. This is why many trucks have a GVWR much lower than the combined axle ratings. It is not uncommon for a truck with a GVWR of 19,500 pounds to have a front axle rated at 7,500 pounds and a rear axle rated at 14,700 pounds. Safety standards that apply to braking, vehicle stability, and chassis manufacturer internal standards for durability, dynamic stability and handling can restrict GVWR even though the sum of the axle ratings exceeds 22,000 pounds. In this instance, the OEM set the GVWR at 19,500 pounds based on test results and vehicle dynamic performance to ensure a safe, reliable truck.โ€

My truck has the same front axle, front suspension, rear axle, transmission, engine, and frame rating as a 3500 which is rated to handle more GVWR than 10k. The only major difference in ratings is the 500 less rear GAWR due to its coil suspension. So the truck itself can handle more GVWR than it my 2550 is rated and its weakest link is the rear suspension which has a greater GAWR than the F350 that ha a greater GVWR.

There are different requirements in the testing for class 2 and class 3 trucks for these safety standards. If you need a class 3 truck get one, Iโ€™m not going to continue to play the โ€œtell me what I want to hearโ€ game.

Two different test requirements for safety standards? I believe that is false.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

nickthehunter
Nomad II
Nomad II
demiles wrote:
ShinerBock wrote:
demiles wrote:
A single axle weight rating alone doesnโ€™t necessarily dictate vehicle performance as a whole. Here is some information about GVWR vs AWR from Bob Raybuck Director of Technical Services NTEA.

โ€œThereโ€™s a common misconception that a truckโ€™s GVWR is determined by adding gross axle weight ratings (GAWRs) together for all axles. Although this was a common way of calculating GVWR many years ago, itโ€™s no longer an accurate method. The chassis manufacturer task of establishing a vehicle GVWR is much more difficult today due to advancement of safety system standards and how vehicles meet these requirements. This is why many trucks have a GVWR much lower than the combined axle ratings. It is not uncommon for a truck with a GVWR of 19,500 pounds to have a front axle rated at 7,500 pounds and a rear axle rated at 14,700 pounds. Safety standards that apply to braking, vehicle stability, and chassis manufacturer internal standards for durability, dynamic stability and handling can restrict GVWR even though the sum of the axle ratings exceeds 22,000 pounds. In this instance, the OEM set the GVWR at 19,500 pounds based on test results and vehicle dynamic performance to ensure a safe, reliable truck.โ€

My truck has the same front axle, front suspension, rear axle, transmission, engine, and frame rating as a 3500 which is rated to handle more GVWR than 10k. The only major difference in ratings is the 500 less rear GAWR due to its coil suspension. So the truck itself can handle more GVWR than it my 2550 is rated and its weakest link is the rear suspension which has a greater GAWR than the F350 that ha a greater GVWR.

There are different requirements in the testing for class 2 and class 3 trucks for these safety standards. If you need a class 3 truck get one, Iโ€™m not going to continue to play the โ€œtell me what I want to hearโ€ game.
Iโ€™ll tell him (hopefully once he hears it heโ€™ll be done).
Shiner - you are indeed smarter than the manufacturers. The manufacturerโ€™s engineers are stupid and know nothing about the products they are designing. You indeed have figured it out and everyone here should ignore the manufacturerโ€™s ratings and go by the โ€œSihiner Ratingsโ€ instead.

Groover
Explorer II
Explorer II
NRALIFR wrote:
Old-Biscuit wrote:
And that is why I personally do NOT give a hoot about a mfgs GVWR or payload number which is based off of that mfgs GVWR

Me too neither.

My old 2010 F450 had a GVWR of 14,500, making it technically a class 4.

My new 2016 F450 has the same axles, brakes, wheels, tires, suspension, etc. Basically the same truck as the 2010, except for the engine and Diesel after-treatment requirements. Itโ€™s GVWR is 14,000, which makes it a class 3.

They both haul(ed) my TC equally well, requiring the least amount of suspension mods (upper Stableloads) of any truck Iโ€™ve owned.

Lowering the GVWR of the 2016 was clearly for some reason other than what the truck can actually haul safely.

:):)

There is something that has changed since 2010. I feel that highway speeds have been steadily increasing. On newer trucks manufacturers may simply be facing the reality that the vehicles may be driven faster than before and cannot safely handle as much weight at the higher speeds.

demiles
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
demiles wrote:

2008 Jayco G2 28RBS
2016 Nissan XD 5.0L Cummins

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
blofgren wrote:

You couldn't talk your dad out of buying a truck with a CP4?? :?:B

I have talked to him about the issues that my brother was having and so did his cousin with his 2013, but just as conversation and not trying to get him to buy anything else. He only buys Fords so it would be like taking to a brick wall even if I wanted to try and pursued him, which I don't.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:

Never said your statement was "a dig".

BTW... I've seen a few Shiner's on the 4th and will see a few more after our fishing trip tomorrow. :B

You didn't say anything, your post said it all. Why else would you post about an F350 with a 7200 GAWR even though it is irrelevant to the topic unless you felt that you had to defend the honor of the brand and ensure others that there are F350s with a higher than 6300 GAWR and then a picture of a Ram sticker at a purposeful spot? C'mon, I was born at night but not last night man. You didn't have to say a word to know why it was posted.
2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

blofgren
Explorer
Explorer
ShinerBock wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

I'm going to throw you a curve ball...

F350 SRW
Rear GAWR: 7,230

BTW... It's hard to believe you were looking at a new truck recently that has a build date of 7/16.

Never said it was from a new truck.

What I said in an earlier post was, most (not all) of the F350 that we looked at had this same rating which was why he ended up ordering one because he could not find an F350 with a 7,200 rear GAWR with the options and color he wanted. I can take a picture of me standing next his new F350 the next time I see him if you don't believe me. Can even hold up a sign saying "Yes Fish, this is Shiner".

Also, as I stated earlier too, this is not a dig on Ford but rather pointing out a truck that has less GAWR can have a higher GVWR and this was the only example I had.

You couldn't talk your dad out of buying a truck with a CP4?? :?:B
2013 Ram 3500 Megacab DRW Laramie 4x4, 6.7L Cummins, G56, 3.73, Maximum Steel, black lthr, B&W RVK3670 hitch, Retrax, Linex, and a bunch of options incl. cargo camera
2008 Corsair Excella Platinum 34.5 CKTS fifth wheel with winter package & disc brakes

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
ShinerBock wrote:
FishOnOne wrote:

F350 SRW

BTW... It's hard to believe you were looking at a new truck recently that has a build date of 7/16.

What I said in an earlier post was, most (not all) of the F350 that we looked at had this same rating which was why he ended up ordering one because he could not find an F350 with a 7,200 rear GAWR with the options and color he wanted. I can take a picture of me standing next his new F350 the next time I see him if you don't believe me. Can even hold up a sign saying "Yes Fish, this is Shiner".

Also, as I stated earlier too, this is not a dig on Ford but rather pointing out a truck that has less GAWR can have a higher GVWR and this was the only example I had.

Never said your statement was "a dig".

BTW... I've seen a few Shiner's on the 4th and will see a few more after our fishing trip tomorrow. :B
'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"

ShinerBock
Explorer
Explorer
FishOnOne wrote:

F350 SRW

2014 Ram 2500 6.7L CTD

FishOnOne
Explorer III
Explorer III
ShinerBock wrote:
Well I guess that everyone checked out of the thread where I posted this because no one seemed to answer it and the thread died shortly there after(unless no one had an answer). So here is to hoping that a new thread will get new looks and maybe an explanation.

Can someone explain this? This F350 has a lower front GAWR, lower rear GAWR, and lower combined GAWR yet has a higher GVWR than my 2500. Kind of goes along with what I have been saying about some(not all) class 2B(250/2500) diesel trucks are de-rated due EPA and federal max GVWR numbers of their class rather than their actual carrying ability, but I would love to hear anyone else's explanation or guess.

2017 F350
Rear GAWR: 6,340
Combined GAWR: 11,940

My 2014 Ram 2500
Front GAWR: 6,000
Rear GAWR: 6,500
Combined GAWR: 12,500
GVWR: 10,000

I can see how this GM 3500 got its 11,500 GVWR rating even though it has a lower front GAWR then mine. The Ram 3500 SRW has just about the same rating, but with a 6,000 front GAWR and a 7,000 rear GAWR.

2018 GM 3500
Rear GAWR: 7,050
Combined GAWR: 12,650

F350 SRW

'12 Ford Super Duty FX4 ELD CC 6.7 PSD 400HP 800ft/lbs "270k Miles"
'16 Sprinter 319MKS "Wide Body"