cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Can you have too large of a trans cooler ??

Gsragtop
Explorer
Explorer
So I was walking out of my local wrecking yard, when I saw a truck with a nice aftermarket trans cooler just sitting there (front grill removed, easy access).. So I pulled it off to add to my kia.. Then I thought maybe it's too large ?? Could that cause issues with the trans as well ??

Also,on the truck it was mounted in front of the AC condenser. While this is an easy place to put it, would it not effect the AC performance ??

Thanks
Josh
2015 Gulf Stream Conquest 198BH (our first TT)
2007 Kia Sedona Minivan (no laughing)
23 REPLIES 23

kayco53
Explorer
Explorer
My cooler came with a thermostatic bypass for cold weather.
2007 GMC 2500hd
2011 Creekside 23RKS

christopherglen
Explorer
Explorer
I put the largest cooler I could fit behind the grill of my duramax, the Allison has no problems shifting summer or winter, and the summer temps are 15-20 degrees cooler, when it heats up (extended climbs) it cools faster on top. I don't run where it is stupid cold, but 0f empty it has no problems.
2007 Chevrolet 3500 CC/LB Duramax/Dually 4X4 Mine r4tech, Reese Signature Series 18k +slider, duratrac, Titan 62 gallon, diamond eye, Cheetah 64
2011 Keystone Fusion 405 TrailAir & Triglide, Centerpoint, gen-turi, 3 PVX-840T, XANTREX FREEDOM SW3012, G614

tatest
Explorer II
Explorer II
Not if you install it properly. If you put the transmission fluid cooler in series with the OEM intercooler in the radiator, with fluid going through the intercooler last, then over-cooled transmission fluid should be warmed back to operating temperature before going back to the transmission.
Tom Test
Itasca Spirit 29B

TNRIVERSIDE
Explorer
Explorer
It would seem to me that if you have a factory trans cooler with a thermostat that controls the flow until the proper temperature is reached then you could run a larger unit safely. If your TT did not have a towing package and you are adding a transmission cooler you could create a undeserable condition. You really need to know you vehical.
2014 Coleman CTS192RD. 2009 F150 4X4, 5.4, 3.31
Jeff

BurbMan
Explorer II
Explorer II
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
Yes, you can cool the tranny fluid too much. If you don't have a thermostat it can keep the ATF too cold and not burn off the water. That is why OEM putters don't lock the converter up for several miles. They want the ATF to come up to temp.

Good answer here. I would recommend installing a trans temp gauge so you can see what temps you are running at both empty and when towing, then you can make an assessment about how large of an external cooler you want to add or if you even need one.

Theoretically, you can't have a cooler that's too large when towing, but as Peeps pointed out, you don't what the transmission to stay tool cool when not towing, which is most of the time for most of us.

Community Alumni
Not applicable
Years ago I swapped my trans cooler on my Ram 1500 Hemi with one from a 3500 Hemi. I read that they were a direct swap so figured what the heck. I knew where to get one for cheap so I swapped it out. It's about 3 times the size of the original one I had. I haven't had a problem running the larger cooler and I'm running empty most times. But then again I'm in Texas. It gets pretty hot down here and we don't have much of a winter. Anything less than 65° and people start saying that it's "freezing" outside lol.

Fast0ne
Explorer
Explorer
I know on my chevy colorado it will not let the tranny go into 4th gear until it is warm enough which is 70*f.

I installed a B&M cooler and in the winter takes a bit to get up to temp but once there all is good. But I live in vancouver bc so we don't have to many freezing days.

But B&m does make a tranny cooler with a bypass for colder temps.
2013 Holiday Rambler 187QB
2006 Chevy Colorado Xtream Crew Cab I5 240hp 250ft torque

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Turtle n Peeps wrote:
DougE wrote:
Turtle n Peeps- but then how do you keep the transmission fluid circulating? (The engine coolant continues to circulate through the heater when its thermostat is shut.)

This is how.

Or this.

Thanks, just didn't want anyone to forget about maintaining circulation.
Currently Between RVs

MitchF150
Explorer III
Explorer III
Do you know what your trans temps are now? (towing and not towing).

Until you know that, it's really just a guess as to what you need... 😉

I put an aftermarket trans temp gauge on my 97 F150 to find out how the OEM aux trans cooler was doing..

Determined that it was just fine and I didn't need any additional cooling. 🙂

Even it had a thermostat controlled fluid flow, but it's internal, so the fluid circulated inside the trans until it opened and went to the coolers.

Good luck!

Mitch
2013 F150 XLT 4x4 SuperCab Max Tow Egoboost 3.73 gears #7700 GVWR #1920 payload. 2019 Rockwood Mini Lite 2511S.

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
DougE wrote:
Turtle n Peeps- but then how do you keep the transmission fluid circulating? (The engine coolant continues to circulate through the heater when its thermostat is shut.)

This is how.

Or this.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

legolas
Explorer
Explorer
Gsragtop wrote:
So I was walking out of my local wrecking yard, when I saw a truck with a nice aftermarket trans cooler just sitting there (front grill removed, easy access).. So I pulled it off to add to my kia.. Then I thought maybe it's too large ?? Could that cause issues with the trans as well ??

Also,on the truck it was mounted in front of the AC condenser. While this is an easy place to put it, would it not effect the AC performance ??

Thanks
Josh
Yes. You can get too big...by that I mean cooling capacity - not size. the trans mission needs to reach a certain temp to operate properly. Generally around 140 to 160 degrees farenheit. As long as the temps get to that range or better you should be fine.

DougE
Explorer
Explorer
Currently Between RVs

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Gsragtop wrote:
ScottG wrote:
It's possible but doubtful. The only time it would be too big is iff you were unloaded and the trans temp never got up to 140 degrees. In that case the fluid wouldn't burn off moisture and may get contaminated.

That's my main question, the TV spends 95% of its time without a trailer. The only time I'm worried about extra heat is with the trailer. I just don't want to damage the trans by it running too cool the rest of the time.. Maybe running through the aux cooler first and then the radiator cooler as mentioned above is a good idea ??

Just run a thermostat in line and all your problems are over.
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

Gsragtop
Explorer
Explorer
ScottG wrote:
It's possible but doubtful. The only time it would be too big is iff you were unloaded and the trans temp never got up to 140 degrees. In that case the fluid wouldn't burn off moisture and may get contaminated.

That's my main question, the TV spends 95% of its time without a trailer. The only time I'm worried about extra heat is with the trailer. I just don't want to damage the trans by it running too cool the rest of the time.. Maybe running through the aux cooler first and then the radiator cooler as mentioned above is a good idea ??
2015 Gulf Stream Conquest 198BH (our first TT)
2007 Kia Sedona Minivan (no laughing)