cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Car wash?

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
Our truck, shown in signature, with 20" wheels measures 81", carefully measured to include the lights on the cab. We found a car wash that states it is 7', which should mean 84". My DH would like to use it on occasion! to save his back and disabled shoulders. Anyone have any experience doing this? I think the margin of error is too small and don't want to take the risk.
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW
10 REPLIES 10

Dog_Folks
Explorer
Explorer
You are a class act DutchmenSport.

Thanks for sharing.
Our Rig:
2005 Dodge 3500 - Dually- Cummins
2006 Outback 27 RSDS

We also have with us two rescue dogs. A Chihuahua mix & a Catahoula mix.

"I did not get to this advanced age because I am stupid."

Full time since June 2006

kennethwooster
Explorer
Explorer
I definitely prefer a hand wash, but not always possible. We have 2 different style car washes in out small town. One will not allow a dually. I pulled into the other, and could tell that it would work. It was a 7 ft. Both our touch less, but only one will handle the dually. It did a great job.
kenneth wooster- retired farmer. Biblical History Teacher in public HS, and substitute teacher.
wife Diana-adult probation officer, now retired.
31KSLS Full Body paint Cameo
Ford F350 2014 DRW 4X4 King Ranch.
20K B&W Puck mount hitch

gtsum
Explorer
Explorer
I need 7ft clearance to get into a car wash with my 2014 Ram 3500. I would not try anything lower as the NAV antennae would likely hit. Certainly pull the mirrors in though...awfully tight with them sticking out
2015 Fuzion 345 Chrome
2014 Ram Megacab 3500 CTD Laramie

cpaulsen
Explorer
Explorer
Have always done the same thing. Much rather pay the school kids to wash my truck instead of using the car wash.
cpaulsen

Burwoods
Explorer
Explorer
DutchmenSport wrote:
Several years ago we were on our way home from a camping trip. When we were within 5 miles of home, we stopped at a local grocery store and a group of kids from the high school were having a car wash. The truck and trailer were deplorably dirty. I pulled up and everyone looked at me with utter horror. Bu their sponsor came over and talked to me. I asked him what the going rate was a car, and he said, $5.00. I said, what would you charge for truck and trailer. He thought for a moment and then said, Well, I guess it's 2 vehicles, so ... $10.00 for both. I said WONDERFUL! The entire group went to town. Buckets of water, wash cloths, hoses, they had a step ladder for the high spots on the camper, slosh, splash, spray, and it was done, both ... in about 10 minutes!

Meanwhile, I'd been talking to my wife about this situation and decided because they were raising money (some event in school now, I can't remember) why not help these kids about a bit.

When they were done, he had us inspect their work. We were all happy. And I handed him $50 cash rolled up in a wad. Jumped in the truck and started up the engine. About that time he came running back with the money flying in his hand, Hey WAIT! You gave us too much! I responded out the window ... Keep it! You guys did a great job! You need all the help YOU can get too!

So, next time you see a car wash ..... well .... you might consider this alternative!

Nice!!!
Bob and Sally
1999 Rexhall Aerbus 36'
Towing 2002 Tracker

Turtle_n_Peeps
Explorer
Explorer
Love your story Dutch!!! That was really cool of you!
~ Too many freaks & not enough circuses ~

"Life is not tried ~ it is merely survived ~ if you're standing
outside the fire"

"The best way to get a bad law repealed is to enforce it strictly."- Abraham Lincoln

DutchmenSport
Explorer
Explorer
Several years ago we were on our way home from a camping trip. When we were within 5 miles of home, we stopped at a local grocery store and a group of kids from the high school were having a car wash. The truck and trailer were deplorably dirty. I pulled up and everyone looked at me with utter horror. Bu their sponsor came over and talked to me. I asked him what the going rate was a car, and he said, $5.00. I said, what would you charge for truck and trailer. He thought for a moment and then said, Well, I guess it's 2 vehicles, so ... $10.00 for both. I said WONDERFUL! The entire group went to town. Buckets of water, wash cloths, hoses, they had a step ladder for the high spots on the camper, slosh, splash, spray, and it was done, both ... in about 10 minutes!

Meanwhile, I'd been talking to my wife about this situation and decided because they were raising money (some event in school now, I can't remember) why not help these kids about a bit.

When they were done, he had us inspect their work. We were all happy. And I handed him $50 cash rolled up in a wad. Jumped in the truck and started up the engine. About that time he came running back with the money flying in his hand, Hey WAIT! You gave us too much! I responded out the window ... Keep it! You guys did a great job! You need all the help YOU can get too!

So, next time you see a car wash ..... well .... you might consider this alternative!

daystrom
Explorer
Explorer
I take my '12 F350 4x4 into a 7' car wash all the time in the winter. As jus2shy said you need to bring the mirrors in.

Truck also fits into my 7' tall garage with about an inch to spare.
2012 Crossroads Zinger ZT26BH
2012 Ford F350 Lariat 4x4 6.7L PSD SRW
11,500 GVWR, 3522 lbs of payload

pennysmom09
Explorer
Explorer
Thanks, the mirrors fold in nice and flat, but the antenna sure would get knocked around! (Whatever happened to retractible antennas?)
Nancy and Doug
2015 KZ Durango 325RL FW

jus2shy
Explorer
Explorer
The big issue(s) will be your tow mirrors and antennae. Tuck in the mirrors and manually wash those areas missed. Also, as in most touch car washes, the antennae can be ripped out. I've used it on occasion with my 2010 F-150. Haven't done it with my RAM because the mirrors seem to be wider than the tow mirrors I had on the F-150.
E'Aho L'ua
2013 RAM 3500 Crew Cab 4x4 SRW |Cummins @ 370/800| 68RFE| 3.42 gears
Currently Rig-less (still shopping and biding my time)