cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carbon monoxide detector replacement

Notakwanon
Explorer
Explorer
Like the rest of you, my camper, which I've owned for 10 years, has a carbon monoxide detector, which I had never replaced. I drove to the largest RV dealership in Maryland, which had only one model of CO detector in stock, and upon inspecting the package, saw that it had been manufactured in 2014. If a CO detector is supposed to be replaced every 5 years, purchasing one which is already 3 years old made no sense, so I did not buy it. When you replaced your CO detector, where did you purchase a 'fresh' one? Tom McCloud
2006 GMC 2500HD 6.6 diesel
2003 Outfitter Apex 9.5
24 REPLIES 24

Notakwanon
Explorer
Explorer
When I posted the original question I didn't expect to get the dozens of responses which followed, but it has been a good thread. I took particular notice of Bryants comment about selecting a CO monitor designed to operate outdoors and at extremes of temperature, as I use my Apex all winter. I selected the Safe T Alert model 35-742, ordered from Amazon. The date stamped on the unit is Sept 2017, so definitely 'fresh', and it's hooked to the camper battery and it went directly into the existing hole in the panel. Thanks for the comments guys. Tom McCloud
2006 GMC 2500HD 6.6 diesel
2003 Outfitter Apex 9.5

RickW
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dave Pete wrote:
It's a Kidde Model KN-COPP-B-LPM. Quite affordable.

I have one of these and use it EVERY time I travel overnight. I also use it as a back up in the TC. My main concern when camping is the motorhome that parks next to me and runs the generator at all hours.

Some years ago, a fellow employee went to a conference, did not show up to the first session and was found unconscious from CO poisoning in his room. He recovered. One of these on the nightstand would have alerted him to the silent, oderless danger.

There are very few circumstances in the US that produce CO in an enclosed space but it only takes one to get you.
Rick
04 GMC 1500 4X4X4, 04 Sunlite SB

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
Thanks for the reply Geewizard. I hope not to beat a dead horse, but I have learned some more of interest.

I suppose it depends on the type and manufacturer, but when I hadn't received a reply yet (and because I tend to like to get additional info anyway) I went looking. Got all this just before I saw your answer come in.

This past summer I bought one through Amazon for the camper build we did for the kids. I liked it, so bought another for Lil' Queeny the other day and am posting it up in that thread tomorrow.

It's a Kidde Model KN-COPP-B-LPM. Quite affordable.

Online I read (from various ques/answers in forum formats) some are supposed to be thrown away immediately (old type of sensor), and then this issue of "10 years from manufacture, or put in use date".

Some have advised as short as 2 year replacement! Using safety (overkill) as reasoning.

I read the small print on this new one (and it's ALL small print - and lengthy).

Interesting stuff. Like...

• Remove from area when spraying stuff e.g. aerosals
  • replace when it starts beeping twice every 30 seconds
  • HIGH levels of some substances can damage it (replace earlier?) like alcohol (Sidecarflip?)
  • It defines Low, Mid, High, Dangerous levels.
along with lots of other good info.

Under "Maintenance" it does NOT say replace at 10 years.

But it does say - "After 10 years from initial start-up, it will beep twice every 30 seconds. Replace then because it will not function when that starts to happen. To HELP you remember WHEN that date is, write on the unit "Replace by {Date}" ten years from the "power up" date. That way you'll get the bad night's sleep heads-up.

This will help us all, but especially may put the OP (or others) at ease regarding store shelf life. It's apparently "start your engines" at initial power up. At least the unit I bought.

Geewizard
Explorer
Explorer
Dave Pete wrote:
Here's a serious comment (I know - strange for me). Anybody know if this replacement info is from time of manufacture? Or from time of install? As in - it's packaged away from the environment until install. Dust in the environment getting in the sensor surface which might be the cause of the 10 year replacement concept?

It's from the time of manufacture. About 5 years ago, I ordered an exact replacement for mine and the manufacture date was several years prior to my receiving it. I sent it back.

This summer, I replaced my CO detector again. I ordered another exact replacement and the manufacture date indicated it was only a few months old. So, good deal on that.
2021 Winnebago Micro Minnie 1708FB
2014 Toyota Tundra Double Cab
300W solar, MPPT controller, LED lights
Xantrex Freedom X Inverter 3000W
2 Fullriver 105AH AGM batteries
Air Lift WirelessAIR and air bags
Hankook Dynapro ATM 10-ply tires

bighatnohorse
Explorer II
Explorer II
ticki2 wrote:
The problem with that method is when they go bad they can also go off as a false alarm . It happens to me this summer at 3AM with a 10 year old detector that tested correctly . Needless to say it was a long night. The next day I had the camper checked by a near by fire station with their meter and found nothing wrong with camper.

That was smart. It happened to me and I replaced several detectors before determining that desert pollen was setting them off. Next time I'll check with the FD.
2021 Arctic Fox 1150
'15 F350 6.7 diesel dually long bed
Eagle Cap Owners
โ€œThe best lack all conviction, while the worst
Are full of passionate intensity."
-Yeats

Chris_Bryant
Explorer
Explorer
If you buy a CO detector at a big box store, make certain it is UL listed for unconditioned spaces. Standard household models will not work well in temperature and humidity extremes.
-- Chris Bryant

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
Here's a serious comment (I know - strange for me). Anybody know if this replacement info is from time of manufacture? Or from time of install? As in - it's packaged away from the environment until install. Dust in the environment getting in the sensor surface which might be the cause of the 10 year replacement concept?

bcbouy
Explorer
Explorer
SidecarFlip wrote:
Found out something interesting when I winterized my camper... RV antifreeze sets off the detector.

I spilled some on the floor under the detector and was wiping it up with a rag and off it went. Sone as I removed the rag with the AF on it, it stopped tweeting...

Maybe I have an overly sensitive detector or it don't like RVAF.
mine goes off if i'm carrying fresh cut firewood inside the camper.
2012 ram 2500 hemi crew cab sb 4x4 2015 northstar 850 sc 14.5 g3 guide custom fly fishing boat

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
SidecarFlip wrote:

Must have been the alcohol???

I understand. Exactly why we winterize PRIOR to beer-thirty. ๐Ÿ˜‰

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Dave Pete wrote:
Oh you must have the combo CO/Antifreeze detector. Or a cheap knock-off. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Not sure Dave, it just went bonkers but as soon as I removed the soaked rag, it quit. I spilled quite a bit actually. The jug got away from my grasp when I was pumping it in and being old, my reflexes aren't as good as they once were...

Must have been the alcohol???

First I thought maybe it was kaput which made no sense as the camper is only 2 years old. The red light was flashing and the piezo buzzer was tweeting to beat the band...

Isn't everything a cheap knockoff in an RV...ecept the price of course.....:E
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

Dave_Pete
Explorer II
Explorer II
Oh you must have the combo CO/Antifreeze detector. Or a cheap knock-off. ๐Ÿ˜‰

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Found out something interesting when I winterized my camper... RV antifreeze sets off the detector.

I spilled some on the floor under the detector and was wiping it up with a rag and off it went. Sone as I removed the rag with the AF on it, it stopped tweeting...

Maybe I have an overly sensitive detector or it don't like RVAF.
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

tattoobob
Explorer
Explorer
I have a battery combo CO/SMOKE in my camper I disconnected the one that came with the camper because it's a parasite drain on the house battery
2005 Ford F350 SRW 4x4

2000 Lance 1010

ksg5000
Explorer
Explorer
These days CO detectors are inexpensive. I tossed my hard wired detector replacing it with portable with digital display - been happy with that choice. I bring my detector into the house during the winter and place it near my furnace. I have lots of combo fire/CO detectors in the stick house but I prefer the digital display CO for my rig.
Kevin