cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Cargo/Bed Slides......which one?

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Looking at these for my 2003 F350 short bed.

I tow a TT and want to add secure, easily accessible storage for my trips.

Put a Pro Tops level shell on my truck and now want to add one of these for ease of accessing my generators, ice chests, inflatable raft, fishing gear, firewood, etc.

Both are About $1100 shipped.

1000# Capacity

They are similar but do have some differences....6 bearings (CG) vs 4 (BS); plywood deck (CG) vs some sort of composite foam (BS); metal ring hooks (CG) vs plastic (BS)

Was hoping someone here owns one of them and can share there experiences.

Also, if you decided on one over the other what were the reasons.

Thanks!
2023 GMC, 3500HD, Crew Cab, 6.6L Gas/6 Speed Auto, 4X4, Standard Bed; SRW
2011 Outback 250RS - Anniversary Edition
Equal-i-zer 10K
14 REPLIES 14

Threebigfords
Explorer
Explorer
I think the OP is looking for a bedslide not a bed cover. I believe he already has a canopy.
15' Ford F450 4x4 Platinum Bronze Fire Metallic
17' Ford Explorer Platinum 3.5 Ecoboost Ruby Red Metallic
78' F250 SC LB 4x4 - highly modified

2003 Weekend Warrior FS2600 toyhauler and the toys to fill it
1997 10' Northland Grizzly 990 Ext Cab

jim69
Explorer
Explorer
Check out diamond plate bed cover. A cousin of mine bought one for his truck just like yours.

Threebigfords
Explorer
Explorer
Yeah, mine with the shelf I built and 3/16" aluminum deck weighs in at 700lbs.

Obviously if you dont need the capacity it's overkill.

Check Bedslides website again, I haven't been there in over a year, but thought I remembered some of their light duty units had 100% extension.

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Threebigfords wrote:
Here's a link. Notice it says "Custom sizes available". So they can make one to fit your short bed.

http://www.cargoglide.com/products/cargoglide-cg2200xl/

Thanks BigFord.....apparently I missed that!

Wonder if I need 100% extension with my shortbed? If so, I don't believe I would need a 2200# unit. They don't make the 100%-1000# model in short bed lengths.

Weight of slide does play a part in my decision:

The 100%-2200# pound model for my truck is a whopping 405#!

The 70%-1000# model is 159#
Equal-i-zer 10K

Threebigfords
Explorer
Explorer
Here's a link. Notice it says "Custom sizes available". So they can make one to fit your short bed.

http://www.cargoglide.com/products/cargoglide-cg2200xl/

Threebigfords
Explorer
Explorer
No....makes more sense to be 100% at longer lengths...more functional. Mine is a long bed. 96". 100% extension rated for 2200lbs.

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
looks like the 100% extenders are not available in lengths greater than 75" for Cargo Slide units

My bed is a Super Duty shortbed which is the 6'-9" bed.....CS calls for an 80" unit 70% extension....100% extension not available

Makes sense for 100% to not be available in longer lengths... leverage effect would be too great on loaded end
Equal-i-zer 10K

Threebigfords
Explorer
Explorer
My current bedslide is the CargoGlide 2200XL. It's usually overloaded on a daily basis. My previous Bedslide brand units suffered the same abuse for years with no problems.

Threebigfords
Explorer
Explorer
I've owned both Bedslide and CargoGlide units over the last 18 years in 4 different trucks. All were long bed trucks.

Either unit will work fine. Pick the one that has the best features for how you'll use the truck.

For me 100% full extension and maximum load rating was a priority. Most slides only extend 75-80%. I also highly recommend the aluminum deck option, covered by a 1/4" rubber mat.

After 15 years with Bedslide brand, I switched to CargoGlide on this truck for the above mentioned reasons. With over 2 years of hard daily use, so far so good.

PA12DRVR
Explorer
Explorer
Jay Pat wrote:
Hi Pat--

Are you referring to the grab handle/step on tail gates of newer Super Dutys? Yes, Mine is a 2010.
NOTE: My 2003 does not have those NICE features!

1. Did you consider the CargoSlide? Did not know that company existed.
2. Have you gotten close to the 1000# rating to see how it holds up and slides with that weight?
Have never tried to weigh. I do keep heavier on the front end.
3. What is the flat bed made of? Steel They state "Weatherdeck composite" which internet tells me is a foam type of board. Some kind of hard board covered with thin carpet.
4. Are you long bed or short? Long bed. If short, much can you fit in your bed slide? My long bed is rated for 1200 lbs. I use plastic tubs with lids when possible and stack two high.
Thanks!
Pat

I'd almost ditto this:

- 1000# Bedslide that is prolly 10 years old now;
- the surface on mine is some sort of hard board with a hard rubber dimpled surface on top. No wear to speak of, but it does capture the grit, so it's hard to get it "showroom clean" after the aforementioned 10 years.
- I suspect I've exceeded the weight rating a time or two with no ill effects, but I'm always cautious about how I put a load on if the slide is extended
- As noted above, I've acquired several plastic totes (black/yellow, 27 gallon) that will stack two deep and fit under my topper. I can put 4 (not 😎 of these in with a bit of room left on the bed for my jack and shovel and a bit of room left above the totes for camp chairs, etc (i.e. relatively low volume / low weight stuff).
- I've almost got my gas can supply revised to only include cans that will fit in the aforementioned totes.

One looses some volume with the bedslide, but more than made up for in convenience.
CRL
My RV is a 1946 PA-12
Back in the GWN

The_Owl
Explorer
Explorer
I have a Joey bed slide in my work truck. I would probably not get another one of that brand but it was purchased several years before I got the truck. I think the more bearings the better as this one gets caught easily. It is also missing a handle to pull it open which is a real pain. I would look for one that has a grab handle across the back. The other disadvantage to any of them is that you can’t store soft or loose material around the wheel wells because it gets caught in the rollers.

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Pat--

Are you referring to the grab handle/step on tail gates of newer Super Dutys? Yes, Mine is a 2010.

1. Did you consider the CargoSlide? Did not know that company existed.
2. Have you gotten close to the 1000# rating to see how it holds up and slides with that weight?
Have never tried to weigh. I do keep heavier on the front end.
3. What is the flat bed made of? Steel They state "Weatherdeck composite" which internet tells me is a foam type of board. Some kind of hard board covered with thin carpet.
4. Are you long bed or short? Long bed. If short, much can you fit in your bed slide? My long bed is rated for 1200 lbs. I use plastic tubs with lids when possible and stack two high.
Thanks!
Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315

Baja_Man
Explorer
Explorer
Hi Pat--

Are you referring to the grab handle/step on tail gates of newer Super Dutys?

1. Did you consider the CargoSlide?

3. What is the flat bed made of? They state "Weatherdeck composite" which internet tells me is a foam type of board.

4. Are you long bed or short? If short, much can you fit in your bed slide?

Thanks!
Equal-i-zer 10K

Jay_Pat
Explorer
Explorer
I've had the Bed slide for about 7 years.
Happy with it.
My pickup had the flip up handle built into the tailgate.
The slide would not clear it.
Had to remove it and get a flat plate/cover to replace (they make them to fit.
Pat
2010 Ford F-350 SRW
2021 Grand Design Reflection 315