cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Carrying extra water

Supercharged111
Explorer
Explorer
What are some of your solutions here? I spent a weekend at the track and after 3 showers and whatever else the tank was dry. Certainly I could have showered more efficiently, but add more people to the mix and it's just not enough water. I'd love to keep it above the cab if such an apparatus would package and secure there. I could simply gravity fill the main tank that way, just a matter of deciding how to get the water up there.
2007 Lance 1131
1997 GMC K3500 crew cab supercharged dually
58 REPLIES 58

jefe_4x4
Explorer
Explorer
Carrying water. With a paltry 18 gallon fresh tank, we've learned to conserve and devise ways to expand our capacity. There are two water uses for us:
1. Fresh water from our well in the 18 gallon tank. We are lucky to have great well water. Except during an emergency none is used for drinking or cooking, only washing, showering, and flushing. We take showers every other day, depending on dirt, temperature, and hanky-pank which can take as little as a gallon of water. Using that little water approaches an art form or presto ballet in conservation.
2. Fresh drinking and cooking water from our well in various plastic containers, the amount expanding and contracting with the temperature while camping/traveling; total amount of time in the boonies. The favorites are one gallon refrigerator water jugs blue in color below. They are very heavy duty and have not leaked or cracked even after going through a freezing cycle. They live in a lower cabinet near the door where we can store 6- one gallon jugs. I had to reinforce the latch on that lower door to beat the force of 48 pounds of water jugs knocking on the back of that door. The jugs, with a couple 1-1/2 ltr. spacers fit snuggly down there and have no chance to get knocked around. Next faves are 1 liter Nalgene jugs with great screw on lids. We use 1 liter of water to make coffee in the AM. Next are about 30 to 48, 16 oz. plastic water bottles for drinking. They live behind those lower bed access doors in the camper, with some in the cab. During warm and dry weather, we can go through 48 of those in 7 days off grid. Lately, we've added a half dozen 1/2 L. aluminum dual wall jugs to the mix. Other options are fizzy drinks and beer as fluid replacement.
I have had poor results using commercial one gallon plastic water or milk style jugs. They have all leaked or burst over time (over the routes we travel) and caused the floor to get some rot, over time.
Jeanie and I spent some time finding heavy duty one gallon or so water jugs and came up with these:

For extended trips and with the jeep trailer in tow for a large traveling group (like over the Mojave Road) the water jugs keep getting larger up to the above 26 gallon pickle jar jug, a leftover earthquake preparedness water container used when we lived in L.A., clearly a earthquake hazard zone. A convenient way to refresh your fresh water tank would be with a fluid pump on the end of your drill driver and a 6 foot, 3/8ths inch, plastic hose.
We've never run out of water as we've learned to judge how much we will use.
The main thing is we have learned to live with minimum water use, but that's a whole separate but related issue. The real problem is how to extend the time of filling of your black water tank without increasing that tank's capacity.
I still like carrying water at as low an altitude as possible. I like the front hitch idea as it would act like a collapsable barrier if you hit another vehicle. Six, 5 gallon fuel cans on the front hitch carrier, not so much.
'01.5 Dodge 2500 4x4, CTD, Qcab, SB, NV5600, 241HD, 4.10's, Dana 70/TruTrac; Dana 80/ TruTrac, Spintec hub conversion, H.D. susp, 315/75R16's on 7.5" and 10" wide steel wheels, Vulcan big line, Warn M15K winch '98 Lance Lite 165s, 8' 6" X-cab, 200w Solar

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Supercharged111 wrote:
Those would be great and are easy to stash, but how are you transferring to the fresh tank? I'm trying to avoid pouring. I suppose it wouldn't be difficult to rig up a pump though.

I just use a live-well pump from walmart, the hose its attached to that connects it to the tank via a hose bib curves downwards, so gravity fills the pump, then I just plug it into the cigarette lighter outlet in the cab over the truck, the live well pump pulls very little power and while its not the fastest pump on the block, it transfers 30 gallons into the onboard tank without too much hassle.
My Blog - The Journey of the Redneck Express

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles
'1974 KIT Kamper 1106 - 11' Slide-in
'2006 Heartland BigHorn 3400RL

mkirsch
Nomad II
Nomad II
Pump and 15 gallon tank all in one for a thrifty $99 ($79 with a 20% off coupon):

https://www.harborfreight.com/15-gallon-spot-sprayer-12-volt-61263.html

That would effectively double the water capacity of my camper (18 gallons) and increase the capacity of your 1131's (35 gallons) by 50%. Self-supporting, strap it down anywhere, on the roof, back seat, front seat, cargo carrier...

Putting 10-ply tires on half ton trucks since aught-four.

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
Supercharged111 wrote:
Those would be great and are easy to stash, but how are you transferring to the fresh tank? I'm trying to avoid pouring. I suppose it wouldn't be difficult to rig up a pump though.

I don't transfer to my fresh tank, but I guess you could, just use the hose to fill the tank.

I currently use gravity, no pump needed now that it is on the roof, I get good enough water pressure to wash stuff off which is my primary use for the 35 gallon tank (sand gets everywhere).

One other thing I did was install 4x4's under the tank and rack to help distribute the weight.
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
Supercharged111 wrote:
It was your blog that gave me the idea of a front carried tank. I think I'd prefer something that sits lower, something like this but maybe longer so it could sit lower.

https://www.amazon.com/Concession-Gallon-Fresh-Water-Artis/dp/B01B8F4DYY

I like that it comes with a pump too.

The pump would need a quick disconnect (I ended up using hose bibs for ease) as its not an outdoor rated pump unit, as that kit is meant as a Class A fresh tank replacement.

I went with the food barrel, as alot of those rectangular tanks need framing to support them before they can be filled, as the sides are not strong enough to take the strain without some kind of structural support.

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

'1992 Dodge W-250 "Dually" Power Wagon - Club Cab Long Bed 4x4 V8 5.9L gashog w/4.10 Geared axles

Supercharged111
Explorer
Explorer
JimK-NY wrote:
Maybe a little more practice with the Navy shower. Wet down with a trickle of water while soaping up. Rinse with a low flow. I also time the water heater. It varies a bit with temperature, but generally I need to heat water for 20 minutes and then it will be at the correct temperature so I do not need to waste more water adjusting the temperature. It should not take a third of a tank for two showers. One gallon per shower! You can also learn to economize with dishwashing. I use a dishpan with some warm soapy water and then a quick rinse. Dishwashing takes less than a gallon a day. I have a cassette toilet so it does not use water from the main tank.

Yeah, more practice for sure. Plus everyone else needs to learn as well, but sometimes I can get pretty **** dirty wrenching on a race car and sweating in the suit 4+ times a day so the 1 gallon method may not work every time. I really wish the water level indicator had more fidelity.

d3500ram wrote:
On a 2 week hunting trip in the bush I fill the 30 gallon tank in the camper plus 6 in the water heater and I take two of these:

All that covers my domestic needs... I still bring 10 gallons or so for cooking and drinking.

mellow wrote:
I used to carry the 35 gallon on the front rack but moved it to my roof and did away with the 12v transfer pump.

Top:

Front rack:

Mine has a roof rack too, but it's already so ass heavy I don't dare put anything back there. That didn't throw your balance off? Hell, right now the camper looks to be riding nose up in the truck. It makes me wonder why.
2007 Lance 1131

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
jaycocreek, we tried peppermint, but we discovered that it caused us to feel minty fresh in places that are not supposed to be minty fresh. Rather startling sensation.

So we use lavender. We smell like a fancy candle store in a tourist town, but we have gotten used to it. ๐Ÿ˜‰
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

Supercharged111
Explorer
Explorer
It was your blog that gave me the idea of a front carried tank. I think I'd prefer something that sits lower, something like this but maybe longer so it could sit lower.

https://www.amazon.com/Concession-Gallon-Fresh-Water-Artis/dp/B01B8F4DYY

I like that it comes with a pump too.
2007 Lance 1131

JoeChiOhki
Explorer II
Explorer II
I use a 30 gallon food grade shipping barrel on my front carrier.

Project #15 - 30gal Auxiliary Water Tank

CB

Channel 17

Redneck Express

mellow
Explorer
Explorer
I used to carry the 35 gallon on the front rack but moved it to my roof and did away with the 12v transfer pump.

Top:

Front rack:
2002 F-350 7.3 Lariat 4x4 DRW ZF6
2008 Lance 1191 - 220w of solar - Bring on the sun!

jaycocreek
Explorer
Explorer
I use a dilute solution of Dr. Bronners liquid soap.

Peppermint is all we use as a soap when boon docking..It makes a great skeeter repellent and for doing dishes in the creek also..Eucalyptus works also but Peppermint works best for nats and skeeters, on us anyway.

Dr Bronners soaps have many uses and are eco friendly and a little bit goes a long way!
Lance 9.6
400 watts solar mounted/200 watts portable
500ah Lifep04

JimK-NY
Explorer II
Explorer II
My wife has used Cetaphil skin cleanser. You use it like lotion and then wipe off the excess with a paper towel. In theory you don't need any water but if you are sweaty it helps to start with by wiping down with a wet wash cloth. I tried it and did not like it, but I don't like any sort of lotion on my skin.

profdant139
Explorer II
Explorer II
Another "extreme shower" tip -- I use a dilute solution of Dr. Bronners liquid soap. A few drops are sufficient, and it rinses off with very little water.

Don't use it full strength. It burns a little.
2012 Fun Finder X-139 "Boondock Style" (axle-flipped and extra insulation)
2013 Toyota Tacoma Off-Road (semi-beefy tires and components)
Our trips -- pix and text
About our trailer
"A journey of a thousand miles begins with a single list."

d3500ram
Explorer III
Explorer III
On a 2 week hunting trip in the bush I fill the 30 gallon tank in the camper plus 6 in the water heater and I take two of these:

All that covers my domestic needs... I still bring 10 gallons or so for cooking and drinking.
Sold the TC, previous owner of 2 NorthStar pop-ups & 2 Northstar Arrows...still have the truck:

2005 Dodge 3500 SRW, Qcab long bed, NV-6500, diesel, 4WD, Helwig, 9000XL,
Nitto 285/70/17 Terra Grapplers, Honda eu3000Is, custom overload spring perch spacers.