cancel
Showing results forย 
Search instead forย 
Did you mean:ย 

Caulking and maintenance

nwbearcat1998
Explorer
Explorer
Hello, I'm a newbie to maintaining my new TT.

I previously owned an older trailer; I'll admit didn't take care of as much as I should've and took a loss on it to sell it.

I did maintain the roof by filling cracks with self leveling dicor is all.

I don't want to make that same mistake again so before winterizing the trailer in the next two weeks what are the best maintenance item to review?

For example, the places where the corner molding is attached and old caulking is cracked on the outside of it should be scraped off and replaced??
39 REPLIES 39

rbpru
Explorer II
Explorer II
The pervious owner of my TT caulked everything with silicone twice over. Now several years later you can peel a lot of it loose.

Generally I leave it alone. My mom used to say (If you pick it; it will never heal). ๐Ÿ™‚

Fortunately nothing leaks so far.

As you can ell there are much better sealants available now.
Twenty six foot 2010 Dutchmen Lite pulled with a 2011 EcoBoost F-150 4x4.

Just right for Grandpa, Grandma and the dog.

bobndot
Explorer II
Explorer II
Agree with ken56, the 'Proflex RV' also comes in 'brite white' which does not yellow like I found using the regular 'white' but using clear is fine.

ken56
Explorer
Explorer
No silicone on your trailer. Use ProFlex clear caulking. It comes in white, black and tan also. Web site says not to use it on TPO or EDPM, extruded polystyrene insulation, acrylic skylights, potable water applications or food prep areas. Use it on the sides of trailer panels vertical and horizontal. Silicone is not the best choice for an RV.

nwbearcat1998
Explorer
Explorer
Wild Card wrote:
Most mfg use silicone or a siliconized caulk. Make sure you do the propper prep before applying new.

I've been watching and reading and plan on scraping with a non maring tool and then using goo gone to remove residue before applying new.
Any other tips??

Wild_Card
Explorer
Explorer
Most mfg use silicone or a siliconized caulk. Make sure you do the propper prep before applying new.
2015 Ram 3500 Dually
Sundowner 2286GM Pro-Grade Toyhauler

SidecarFlip
Explorer III
Explorer III
Most all RV manufacturers recommend checking the caulk and seals every 6 months at least....
2015 Backpack SS1500
1997 Ford 7.3 OBS 4x4 CC LB

nineoaks2004
Explorer
Explorer
I check the caulking at least twice a year, remove old caulk and re-caulk if needed, I also keep an eye open for leaks and get them stopped before damage occurs.
By the time you learn the rules of life
You're to old to play the game

ScottG
Nomad
Nomad
Yes, recaulk anyplace you see a crack or other opening.
And please resize your pics to the forums requried 640480.

nwbearcat1998
Explorer
Explorer
It's a brand new camper and lots of the areas on the corners are rough. Should it all be scraped off and recaulked???

nwbearcat1998
Explorer
Explorer